First boot - stuck on three lights

So I finally am doing my system build. System specs are in my sig. For my first boot, I have:

Cpu, cooler, and fan.

one stick ram (also tried with two sticks)

video card

All four power connections are in place (checked and re-checked)

When I try to boot, the first of the four lights immediately goes out (but flickers on and off a couple of times after that), and I'm left with three, solid diagnostic lights.

From what the manual says, I assume this means the system can't detect the RAM.

To check out the RAM issue I've tried:

A single stick of RAM in all four RAM slots (I've tried all four RAM slots with each of the sticks)

I've also tried two sticks in the yellow slots and two sticks in the orange slots.

Same result each time: stuck on three lights.

Ideas?

Yea. Do you have any other RAM to try? :confused:

Unfortunately, no.

However, since I've tried each stick individually, unless BOTH sticks are defective (which seems kind of unlikely), it's hard to believe it's the RAM.

Just an idle question:

The fact that I'm getting down to three lights, does that mean the CPU is definitely okay?

I ask because, as you can see from my sig, I removed the IHS from the CPU and mounted the big Ninja HSF on it. I "pre-flexed" the Ninja rentention clips to reduce the force on the CPU as I mounted the HSF, but I worry that, as careful as I was, I might have crushed the core. Is "CPU detected" the same as "CPU functional"?

Detected=good.

I had the same problem when I did my build. I had 1 stick in slot 4, it wouldn't boot because apparently the 3/10 BIOS only allows you to boot with single channel in slot 1/2. It worked fine with 1 stick in 1/2, and the other slots worked with dual channel. Try dual channel in the orange/yellow slots

BTW is that HSF a clip on cooler? I ask because I'm about to remove the IHS from my CPU and I was going to grab a thermalright bolt through

Detected=good.

I had the same problem when I did my build. I had 1 stick in slot 4, it wouldn't boot because apparently the 3/10 BIOS only allows you to boot with single channel in slot 1/2. It worked fine with 1 stick in 1/2, and the other slots worked with dual channel. Try dual channel in the orange/yellow slots

BTW is that HSF a clip on cooler? I ask because I'm about to remove the IHS from my CPU and I was going to grab a thermalright bolt through

Phew! That's a relief. I've been assuming I trashed my $550 CPU.

As to the other stuff:

I got a pre-flashed 704-BT BIOS (there's a fellow on these forums who for $15 will send you any pre-flashed BIOS you want), and that's what I'm booting with. I thought I might avoid problems by doing this. :confused: My board is Rev AB0, so I don't know what the stock BIOS is that comes with this board (I'll bet it's the 5/10 BIOS).

I've tried dual-channel in both the yellow and orage slots. And I've tried a single stick in every one of the four slots. I always get three lights. What can be wrong?

The Ninja is a clip on. But I slightly un-bent the "flexy" things that apply the tension to the hooks that engage the mounting bracket So the tension was reduced somewhat as I installed the cooler. Still, the pressure on the core cannot have been gentle.

Not to hijack my own thread, but there's an X2 IHS-removal thread in the overclocking section that discusses using clip-on coolers as bolt ons. However, I found that it was impossible to "bolt on" an XP-90/mounting-bracket combination (the mounting screws are too short). And with the Ninja, you can't access the screw heads with the cooler hooked into the bracket.

So one thing I might try is purchasing some cheap PC-3200 memory to make absolutely sure it's not an issue with BOTH sticks of the OCZ memory.

Any suggestions as to cheap PC-3200 memory that will normally boot correctly?

One other question: I physically replaced the stock BIOS with a pre-flashed 704-BT BIOS. I didn't do the clear CMOS procedure because I figured nothing had been set in the first place. But maybe that's incorrect. Thoughts?

If I'm correct (probably not) the CMOS information is stored separetely from the BIOS chip. So you could have conflicts from your old BIOS which is bad

Or maybe the CMOS info is stored on the BIOS chip in which case it shouldn't be a problem.