Sign in to follow this  
orangeshirtmafi

Just blew $2000 at newegg WEEE

OKay so I could use you opinions on a few things, first here is what I bought:

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

2x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

PNY VCG7800XXWB Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

2x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail

Allright to the questions:

With the Speakers and my DFI Lanparty UT Nforce 4 Ultra-d Can I use theses speakers with digital? Does the sound car built into this support that?

With the raptor drives which SATA controller should I use for best performance (R/W speeds)

How well does this video card overclock? anyone know?

and the ram, should I see better or worse speeds over what I already have? (I just wanted 2 gigs for BF2.

are these CPU's unlocked? I remember reading that the FX series were unlocked but am not sure.

Thanks for your look

what a great feeling..........NOT.........lol.........congrats on what looks to be a very nice system

1 - speakers, i dont know, i am sure they will though. if not, is it possible for you to buy an audigy or a sound blaster live?

2- i am 90% its the nForce 4. (they are labled on your mother board as Sata 1, Sata 2, Sata 3 and so on)

3 - i am not sure how good the PNY overclocks, but the MSI GTX overclocks good.

as said by an overclocking fanatic.

4 - that ram to my know how, isnt stuff to be using for your BF2 gaming, and as i read your last question about the FX i believe your planning on overclocking ur CPU too.

if i were to be buying a rig like yours for that purpose, i would get some high end, PC4000 (instead of your PC3200), and with higher timings so it will be easier to overclock, and better for the ram.

my preference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227219

5 - im not sure if the FX is unlocked, i have myself yet to see once i can spend another 800$.

---------------------------------------------

Hope i helped,

Tom

EDIT: i would also change those 2 western digitals with 2 Hitachi Deskstars, and set them up in a raid 0.

The Hitachi harddrive im talking about is located here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822145082

With the raptor drives which SATA controller should I use for best performance (R/W speeds)
you want to put them in a Raid array. you should have a 4 to 1 ratio as far as block size and cluster size. you can read more here
My ASUS 7800GTX is a good overclocker. I can even go higher. Click here for the OC I have Click here for the 3Dmark05 score
are these CPU's unlocked? I remember reading that the FX series were unlocked but am not sure.
Yes, all FX series are unlocked.

Yeah, its a damn shame the Raptor's arent sataII. I'd save some $$ and get 2x36G instead of the 74G. The speed diff and help of NCQ isnt worth bothering with. Save the $$ for the next gen when sataII gets integrated.

I'd agree with the use Htachi Deckstar sataII drives instead of the WD's. They are unreal fast in raid0.

So 2x 36G Raptor in raid0 for WinXP/programs. 2x250G Deckstars raid0 for data.

If using ONE video card, I'd just use a X850XT...some nice sales out there, and await the 520. If wanting to use 2x video then get 2x7800's. It'll be months before ATI/NV sign a treaty and SLI for all with either cards happens....its all just software/driver issues not the hardware.

Great choice for ram.

On the CPU, honestly I think I'd go 4800+X2 rather than FX, and concentrate on Swiftech "Storm" based water cooling..... 300Mhz x10 for 3Ghz operation from the X2 would be a better longterm choice. You will have to cool the FX just as well to get serious speed from it too, so the x12 multi on the 4800+ coupled with that ram and good cooling will let you get stupidfast speeds....and dual core ultimately will be faster.

For a case I have come to like the AMS CF1009, mod'd to have 120mm intake fan. There is tons of room for HDisks and watercooling inside.

I know how you feel! I spent around $2100 for my new build too.

I bought that same RAM a month or so ago when it had the mail in rebate. A set of 1 gig matching name-brand sticks with tight timings for less then $230 was tough to pass up.

They help me out in BF2 a lot. I stuck them in my old Socket A Asus A7N Delux before my new hardware came in and the difference was pretty amazing. (I had 1 gig of Corsair XMS extreme in there - - It took about 4 mins to exit the program...no exageration.)

From what I've read though, the RAM isn't that good of an overclocker. Check around here and you'll see a million posts on it. But as far as stock speeds it's primo stuff.

Good luck with your build!

awesome, well if you look in my sig those are the parts I already have, and the parts in my post are what I ordered last nite, I am excited to get them all, I just hope those speakers work on my ulta-d in digital

damn.....nice cpu order.....i wouldnt mind one of those myself but im holding out till for either the fx-59 or an fx-x2 if they chose to make one.....

as for the ram though i would have gone with the crucial ballistix 2 x 1gb pc4000 set......they are far superior to any other 2gb kit on the market right now....

Guest AnthraX
awesome, well if you look in my sig those are the parts I already have, and the parts in my post are what I ordered last nite, I am excited to get them all, I just hope those speakers work on my ulta-d in digital

By digital you mean 5.1, right?

OKay so I could use you opinions on a few things, first here is what I bought:

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

2x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

PNY VCG7800XXWB Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

2x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail

Allright to the questions:

With the Speakers and my DFI Lanparty UT Nforce 4 Ultra-d Can I use theses speakers with digital? Does the sound car built into this support that?

and the ram, should I see better or worse speeds over what I already have? (I just wanted 2 gigs for BF2.

Thanks for your look

Ok, well i'll try and answer all your questions as i'm not sure if they have been yet.

Speakers - VERY nice, got some myself plugged in via COAX to my SLi-D. You'll need to buy the cable seperatly though, easy to get. To get mine to work i had to move the Coax jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 and use the nVidia nf4 audio drivers, works nice. From what i've seen people say don't use the Realtek ones.

Raptors - Again very nice, and in RAID0. Should help in some circumstances but RAID is generally overrated for desktop use. Still very nice HDD's, i also have one of those. I use my Raptor for OS and Programs and other HDD's for data and general storage. So RAID0 for OS and Apps is safe as it won't matter much if the array dies. But... (see next HDD comment)

Graphics - Again very nice. Not much else to say. Get latest 77.77 drivers.

Maxtors - Don't RAID0 these 300GB ones unless you wanna lose 600GB worth of data, RAID0 is for performance and not reliabilty. You'll kick yourself if one of them ever dies and you lose all your warez :P

CPU - I got FX-55, you got 57. Again pimp daddy choice. IMO better choice than any X2 part currently available, especially due to lack of use of multi-cored CPU's as of now. EDIT: You'll need to get latest mobo BIOS otherwise you risk blue screening every 5 mins.

RAM - 2GB for the win so good choice on that. Someone mentioned Crucial Ballistix 2GB kits, yes they are meant to be the best out there atm. If you're into overclocking that is. If not the OCZ will do just fine and should still overclock to ~230 from what i've read over at OCZ forii.

Onto the questions:

Yes. Explained above, Coax.

Only one SATA controller afaik and that's the nVidia one. Only the DR boards have an extra controller i believe.

No idea. Prob based on reference so just have a look at your fave review site and see how they did, or seach in google for that model and a review.

2GB will be very good for BF2 if you're running high res (1600x1200). For other stuff, prob a bit overkill as Windows XP and literally any other games do fine with 1GB. Still good for newer games.

100% unlocked.

I have a feeling the Raptors are about to go through a change. I've heard some bits before about them revamping them near the end of 2005.

Look at newegg, they have a rebate. Look at outpost.com and fryes. They have a labor day weekend sale, AND they have two rebates. $20 and $30 stacked.

I think they're trying to dump their stock. I would guess that there will be a SATA II variety of the raptor shipping sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Sign in to follow this