Sign in to follow this  
G.N.U.Fragman

ULI chipset on DFI boards?

Even in those reviews somone noted they got personal attention to work through issues.

Guys you have to realize that these are not retail boards and the average guy is not going to get the kind of support that these people get. they can call up the manufacturere and get one on one help from the guy making it. Kind of like the time tha Asus made a custom bios so that SLI would work for an anand review. Are you going to get a hand picked cherry board and your own personal tec to hold your hand through install? With limited options in bios you are eather good from the start or out of luck. You better beleve that Anand gets the best of the best what company wants a less than peachy review? That goes for memory PSU's etc and they have plenty of options that will work if one doesnt.

I do hope ULi gets in the game- right now Nvidia has no real competition. I seriously dont see any need for a dual card chipset though. It completly voilates the KISS rule. People have enough problems setting up regular AGP and PCI boards and keeping them running right. Even though you can adjust everything many people have trouble setting things up. Not everyone has multiple choices of memory to put in a board or has the option to exchange them if they dont like the stock settings.

WE ARE NOT SAYING THE BOARDS ARE GREAT. It just seems AG is a littke took quick to bash the boards. We dont know what they will be like, and neither does he.

WE ARE NOT SAYING THE BOARDS ARE GREAT. It just seems AG is a littke took quick to bash the boards. We dont know what they will be like, and neither does he.

here you make a statement full of guesses and assumptions, which is a bad bad thing to do.

do you think I make statements without some kind of experience and knowledge to make such a statement?

as I said earlier that you all maybe missed in your excitement to bash me....I get to do things you don't get to do...and I get to touch and play with things you don't get to touch and play with. And not just DFI stuff...so before you go making statements that show you have no clue what you are talking about...keep in mind that I get to see and do a lot of things I never get to talk about (and I've tested about 10 boards that never made it to the market because they were not worthy)

do you think I make statements without some kind of experience and knowledge to make such a statement?

In this case, I think so, yes. You haven't used or tested a ULi M1695 chipset based bored.

From what I gather, your saying that you have had bad experiances with hybrid boards in the past therefore makes all future hybrid boards crappy.

Thats like saying, I had bad experiances with intel in the past and thus every intel in the future must be crappy because technology never changes.

In this case, I think so, yes. You haven't used or tested a ULi M1695 chipset based bored.

From what I gather, your saying that you have had bad experiances with hybrid boards in the past therefore makes all future hybrid boards crappy.

Thats like saying, I had bad experiances with intel in the past and thus every intel in the future must be crappy because technology never changes.

Read into the man's words a bit, and think.

Hope I dont get in trouble for saying that. :tooth:

Read into the man's words a bit, and think.

Hope I dont get in trouble for saying that. :tooth:

You talking about these words?

as I said earlier that you all maybe missed in your excitement to bash me....I get to do things you don't get to do...and I get to touch and play with things you don't get to touch and play with. And not just DFI stuff...so before you go making statements that show you have no clue what you are talking about...keep in mind that I get to see and do a lot of things I never get to talk about (and I've tested about 10 boards that never made it to the market because they were not worthy)

So lets say I "read into" them and make the assumption that he has tested a ULi M1695 based board. That doesn't really change anything IMHO. AG is one guy telling us the hybrid board is crappy, while Creig posted 5 (not counting TH) websites that gave it a thumbs up and Anandtech also gave it a thumbsup. AG can say all he likes about "oh they got help from ULi blah blah" but, to take Anandtech as an example, I have found their articles to often be spot on with the final retail product leaving me no reason to doubt them.

Well, as M1695 based boards are now publicly available, you couldn't still be under any NDA. It might help us understand your stance if you would tell us about your experience with the M1695 chipset and why you feel they're so bad that you would keep them out of the country?

Well, as M1695 based boards are now publicly available, you couldn't still be under any NDA. It might help us understand your stance if you would tell us about your experience with the M1695 chipset and why you feel they're so bad that you would keep them out of the country?

He works for DFI and at least for now wants to continue to work for them therefore he is not going to disclose DFI's R&D.

Keep your eyes out for how these chips are doing for real users we dont need to simply speculate now.

here you make a statement full of guesses and assumptions, which is a bad bad thing to do.

If you have tested the ULI chipset, then your statements are valid and ermmmm......... We didn't know you tested it

If you have not tested the ULI chipset, you are a bigheaded hypocrite and you need to think about the advice you give out.........

I can't really read the whole thread, I got the 2nd page and had to stop.

I'm with AG, no hybrids.

There's no reason for such a board, it's wasting space with that agp slot.

Maybe if they made the board alot longer, say 4 pci-e slots, 5 or 6 pci slots, even then no agp.

Because that would be pushing it anyways, non standered.

I'd rather have one more pci or one more pci-e slot then some agp slot that's dead.

Dead and working, but useless in the future, performance wise.

I dn if any of nvidia's newer cards are gonna be on agp, I dn about ati, maybe they finally have native pci-e I dn(last x800's or whatever had bridge built in the die, but it was still a agp part).

None the less the future looks dim for agp.

If I went and baught a new board, new cpu and etc.

Then wanted to get a new video card, say the gf7's are running $200 now(future perhaps), I'd buy that.

What could would the agp slot do?

Yay I can go stick a mx in it, or fx, or gf6, or 9800pro, or whatever.

Why when you got pci slots if you had too?

Non the less, have you guys heard the news on the gf6 6500?

It's a 6200 with gddr3!

That's probably not a bad card for the basics you know?

Plus it's pci-e only I blieve, dn really know, the card I saw was pci-e, on guru3d.

Oh, also I suppose if dfi wanted to, they could stick one of nvidia's bridges on a board, to convert from pci-e to agp like that.

With a known good chipset, ie the nf4.

Then again that adds cost, and more heat, another heatsink for the bridge, wasted space.

Edit:

This is an ali chipset?

Screw that, ali blows !!!!

Acer Labs Inc., bad chipset makers period.

I'd use via over ali anyday.

I can't really read the whole thread, I got the 2nd page and had to stop.

I'm with AG, no hybrids.

There's no reason for such a board, it's wasting space with that agp slot.

Maybe if they made the board alot longer, say 4 pci-e slots, 5 or 6 pci slots, even then no agp.

Because that would be pushing it anyways, non standered.

I'd rather have one more pci or one more pci-e slot then some agp slot that's dead.

Dead and working, but useless in the future, performance wise.

NEOAethyr, you completely missed the point of having a PCI-E/AGP motherboard. It would be for those people who want to reuse their still fast AGP cards (Nvidia 6800 series/ATI X800-X850 series) with a Socket 939 CPU and still be able to easily upgrade to a PCI-E video card later on down the road.

Nobody will argue the fact that AGPs days are numbered. Socket 754 is likewise coming to an end. Why would somebody want to purchase a Socket 754 board these days knowing that their CPU upgrade path is dead?

Personally, I have an AGP ATI X800XT Platinum Edition video card. It is one of the fastest ATI cards currently available. If I can pair it up with a fast Socket 939 motherboard, that will extend the useable lifespan of the video card. Then when I feel the need to replace my video card with something faster, I can simply get a PCI-E card and pop it in. No muss, no fuss.

If I went the route that AG is suggesting and get the NF3 Socket 754 LanParty today, the next time I go to upgrade I'll need to replace not only the video card, but the motherboard and CPU as well. To me, that would be a waste of money.

And as far as "wasting space" with an AGP slot, how many PCI/PCI-E slots do people really use these days anyhow? Most motherboards now have onboard NICs, onboard sound, onboard RAID, onboard USB, etc... The most people will add these days is a high end audio card and possibly a TV tuner. I know in years past we've needed every available PCI slot, but not anymore.

I've been totally happy with my NF2 LanParty rev A board and would like nothing more than to purchase another DFI board to replace it with. But my motherboard requirements this time are the ability to reuse my current AGP video card, be able to add a PCI-E video card later and to be Socket 939. So far, the only solution that fits the bill and has good all-around performance is the M1695 chipset. And if DFI won't make a board based on that chipset (or an equivalent) then I'll need to look to another manufacturer who will.

EDIT:

This is an ali chipset?

Screw that, ali blows !!!!

Acer Labs Inc., bad chipset makers period.

I'd use via over ali anyday.

Perhaps you need to look at a few reviews from the websites I've taken quotes from. They all seemed impressed with ULi this time around after having tested the M1695.

As I've already said, previous performance does not always equal current performance.

As I've already said, previous performance does not always equal current performance.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Read Creig read and read this post even though you have failed to read the rules and post your sig.

Your arguments are not based on reason but on the way you want the world to be. TANSTAAFL There ant no such thing as a free lunch. TANSTAAFL

Did I mention that you really should read the answers to this thread

BTW your links are off of a AssRock press kit are you suprised they are glowing?!

:confused:

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Read Creig read and read this post even though you have failed to read the rules and post your sig.

Your arguments are not based on reason but on the way you want the world to be. TANSTAAFL There ant no such thing as a free lunch. TANSTAAFL

Did I mention that you really should read the answers to this thread

BTW your links are off of a AssRock press kit are you suprised they are glowing?!

:confused:

Do you have ANY idea at all of what you're talking about? My quotes were all from independent websites who each evaluated the motherboards FIRSTHAND. They aren't simply going by some ULi propaganda, they're basing their opinions on ACTUAL TESTING instead of simply saying "Pfft. ALi used to make crappy chipsets so this one from ULi must be crappy as well."

Those who live in the past have no future.