Sign in to follow this  
applejacks

X2 4400+

I am running these tests very slowly as well.

Curently I am on 1.45V * 104%.

with one instance of super PI, I can do FSB 245Mhz.

idle temp is 38C / Load temp is 43C. PWMIC 44 AND chipset 43.

I am only aiming to go as high as 250*11.

However, I have seen other people using Crucial at FSB 300 3-3-3-8. Does it make sense to run RAM/FSB ratio > 1????

AG, can you help me with this?

Guess this is a perfect place for my first post...

I am putting in an order this weekend for a x2-4400 with a dfi lanparty sli-Dr.

(trying to decide between the Zalman 7000b and thermaltake 1772) .

I am hoping to hit 2600 but will be quite happy with 2500, (which will be an acomplishment unto itself since I have never oc'd a thing).

Now the question, at first I was going to grab 2*1 gig of OCZ platinum DDR -3200 but after looking around I am wondering if I should eat another $100 and get Crucial ballistix ddr 500.

Any advice before I take the plunge?

if you wanna OC to 2500 and above I recommand the ram in my sig, they're the sweetest things I've dealt with , they run at very low voltage you can take them up to 260mhz easily, my culprit was the CPU not the ram, I can run @2600 on air no problme but prime95 would error, therefore I would'nt call it stable, even though I can run dual superPI and OCCT no problem at those speed and I can play games for hours, with no crashing , but I think peace of mind is wrth 100Mhz set back, so I'm happy with 3500Mhz 100% stable and very cool 30C idle and 49C load (running dual prime).

here's the ram I'm talking about:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...=Unbuffered_OCZ

Now the question, at first I was going to grab 2*1 gig of OCZ platinum DDR -3200 but after looking around I am wondering if I should eat another $100 and get Crucial ballistix ddr 500.

DANGER! Avoid OCZ Platinum 1GB. They are the worst RAM you can get for your DFI motherboard! Most RAM these days can go well beyond stock 200MHz, 250 is common, and some even go to 300+. But the OCZ Platinum uses Infineon chips, which are running at the limit of stability at stock 200MHz. My OCZ Platinum can pass Memtest at 211MHz but no higher. I am very very unhappy about this. I don't even trust the stock 200MHz stability, since it's proved there's no headroom.

So, avoid OCZ Platinum! It's really bad news.

See this thread for details:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8087

Guest coldcase
DANGER! Avoid OCZ Platinum 1GB. They are the worst RAM you can get for your DFI motherboard! Most RAM these days can go well beyond stock 200MHz, 250 is common, and some even go to 300+. But the OCZ Platinum uses Infineon chips, which are running at the limit of stability at stock 200MHz. My OCZ Platinum can pass Memtest at 211MHz but no higher. I am very very unhappy about this. I don't even trust the stock 200MHz stability, since it's proved there's no headroom.

So, avoid OCZ Platinum! It's really bad news.

See this thread for details:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8087

Well ballistix are better for 2 GB kits and OCZ PC 4000 Gold. OCZ doesn't use the same chips on their 1GB kit and their 2GB kit. Sorry that you found out the hard way...should have asked before buying ;)

I dunno about OCCT and XP64, but I know you can run 2 instances of superPI, but you have to create two different directories for superPI files, and launch them from their directories accordingly, then before you hit the calculate buttons, set the affinity using windows task manager, set one of them to CPU0 and the other to CPU1.

you will aslo see that your temp will go much higher that way on air. Also you should test with prime95 running two instances as well, from my experience @2600MHZ I passed OCCT and superPI(2 inst) with flying colors, but prime95 would fail unless I pushed the voltage too high, which resluted to temps nearing and trying to pass 60C, forget it I'm not ready to fry my cpu, and that's why I settled with 250X10 @2500MHZ stable in all tests at sweet low voltage (see my sig) running nice and cool 30C idle and 49C full load with 2 primes running.

Thanks for the thoughts on the dual SuperPI. I'll give that a shot.

I also think that I'll reset to stock and run OCCT to see if I get a pass on the 30-min stability test. If not, I have to assume that OCCT is not a good test program in the XP64 environment. Of course, it could also be an XP64 problem...LOL

I've also been trying different combinations of CPU VID and VID Special without much success to stabilize in the low 240's. I've kept the calculated Vcore total below 1.6v (and in practice from MBM5 Vcore varied from 1.52-1.57). My temperatures for OCCT have been under 50C.

Any thoughts on the safety zone on Vcore for these chips under air cooling?

David

My x2 4200 is fine at 2550 mhz (255x10) but at 2600mhz (260x10) core number 1 fails prime95 within 1 minuite, even though core 0 runs happily 24 hrs. I've tried adjusting vcore right up to 1.6v but to no avail, nothing will stabalise that core 1.

Obviously its not a memory issue as core 0 is fine, I've even tried using a higher multiplier/dividers and that doesn't help either. Am I right in thinking my core 1 is crap and reached its limit at 2550 1.4v? Or is there something i'm missing?

Obviously its not a memory issue as core 0 is fine, I've even tried using a higher multiplier/dividers and that doesn't help either. Am I right in thinking my core 1 is crap and reached its limit at 2550 1.4v? Or is there something i'm missing?
Sounds like it. Two instances of Prime95 have been torturing each of my cores (at 2640) for about 8 hours now and all seems fine. Temps don't go above 50°.

When clocked to 2695, Prime95 hangs within a minute.

Thanks for the thoughts on the dual SuperPI. I'll give that a shot.

I tried this and got a stable dual SuperPI at 243x11 and 1.3+123% special. I'm guessing that the instances competed for resources since both instances took just under an hour each. Of course, I had all the RAM values scaled back while CPU testing.

I also think that I'll reset to stock and run OCCT to see if I get a pass on the 30-min stability test. If not, I have to assume that OCCT is not a good test program in the XP64 environment. Of course, it could also be an XP64 problem...LOL

Haven't had time to try this yet, but I'll try to do so tonight after the kids have been put to bed and report back. Anyone know if OCCT is accurate for stability testing in XP64 (despite the driver error at load)?

David

On these dual core procs do you run two versions Super-Pi to load both cores and if so do you lock them to an individual core of just let them rum and share. I hit 11x 2 with one core but it errored out shortly afte adding a second instance of superpi. Running an x2 4200 at 1.4v.

Ken