Sign in to follow this  
Hymn

Emergency! Need Help! -- No Boot! :(

ive lost my patience with my computer.

i sleeved my wires tonight, such as the P4 (12v i think?), one of my 2 PCI-express power cords, all 4 pin's and floppy connectors.

i turn my computer on with all my stuff plugged in (fan controller, gfx card, wireless, sound card), and ive plugged in everything to give my computer a go.

i press the power button, and my dad observes the fan for the graphics card spins less than one time around, so i tried again, STILL NO GO!

ive unplugged everything, and narrowed it down to even the 24 pin, and the P4 connector itself. STILL NO GO! ive even tried with and without the floppy and 4 pin connector on the board, STILL NO GO!

ive almost lost all my patience with my rig. what once used to be a thing i loved, now im almost hating every minute and penny ive put into it.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! IM DYING FOR AN ANSWER ON HOW TO GET THIS THING GOING!

ITS TEARING ME APART. SCHOOL STARTS SOON, I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH COMPUTERS DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR.

SOMEONE HELP! I APPRECIATE IT!

Fellow DFI'ers, i ask for your time and knowledge to please help me get through this.

Ive checked almost all of my connectors for things not connecting or what not, and it doesnt boot! Only "Possible" thing i can think of, is that the 4 pin connectors arent hooked up right. but ive labled all of my wires and everything so everything would be put back nearly like how it was stock.

since a 4 pin has yellow | black | black | red, could one black mess up the whole thing? is that even possible?! i know that blacks are ground, so i dont see how that could go.

SOMEONE HELP ME!

The dreaded,

Tom

If your comp worked before you sleaved your wires,then your wires are crossed.Go and buy a new supply and install it to see if that will fix your problem.Then you have time to fix the old one.Then take the new one back and pay the restocking fee.

i tried jumpstarting my computer and it kept on without smoke or anything.

i tried just now a basic run of the computer, it turns on for 1 second with fans running, then it shuts off. i tried a safe boot, now im trying a cmos clear. other than that, is my board killed?

SOMEONE HELP ME! ive lost my patience completely! i dont know if my motherboard is fried, or my PSU is broken, or if during that time my videocard got screwed up, or my processor, or any of my other components like mouse/ keyboard/ mousepad (those i can try though)... im so damn annoyed now, i need some help! help fast!

Tom

Ok, Double check everything. Check to see if something is shorting motherboard to case. Remove your motherboard from case and place it on a flat non-conductive surface. Connect only what is required to post.

Hymn...as Parsifal said....you need to swap out your PSU....nobody here knows what you did when you sleeved your cables...Beg ,borrow or buy a PSU so you can test your components and go from there......

Tech 101....isolate the problem

Best of Luck

Ok, Double check everything. Check to see if something is shorting motherboard to case. Remove your motherboard from case and place it on a flat non-conductive surface. Connect only what is required to post.

ive double checked that, and i have tried on a non conductive surface (like the packing foam sheet the board came with). sadly enough i found all my connectors, if the 4 pins go red | black | black | yellow, i had them all backwards :( , like yellow | black | black | red.

how can i check if my board is fried? if i took it to a local computer shop (anyone know one @ my location?) do you think i could go in and ask them to test my computer or something. i dont know :

Tom

Hymn...as Parsifal said....you need to swap out your PSU....nobody here knows what you did when you sleeved your cables...Beg ,borrow or buy a PSU so you can test your components and go from there......

Tech 101....isolate the problem

Best of Luck

as i said in my previous post, do you think if i took it to a computer shop, they could try one for me, without having to spend the extra cash?

thanks for the luck, i hope i can get my computer running before school. :-

Tom

EDIT:

i was just thinkin, maybe u think the geek squad @ best buy could help me out?

Well if you had the red (5v) and yellow (12v) wires swapped, there is a good chance you fried something, depending on which plugs you had wrong. For instance, if you did that to the hardrive plugs, you might have damaged the harddrives. So, if that is the case, unplug all drives, HD, Floppy, CD/DVD, and just try booting with a motherboard, keyboard and videocard.

If that doesn't work, then the only way you are gonna know what is damaged is, as posted previously, is to get a known good power supply and try it w/ your motherboard. If it works with the other powersupply, your first powersupply is messed up. If it still doesn't work (with just motherboard, PSU, and video), then you could say you need a new motherboard or CPU.

i got some news.

i tried my Antec TP2 550W psu (that sleeved), on another old computer, and it works. ive plugged in my fan controllers and more, and they work too.

news is, its slim my harddrive is fried, because i connected it with a non removable sata connector on the PSU :)

more news is i need to RMA my board to DFI (if anyone can help me out on where to call or what to do to RMA a dfi product, ide appreciate, because DFI's site is no longer a website?)

smoke came out of my board this morning after i attempted a CMOS clear overnight.

im trying my components one by one right now, so far everything ive tried is good, including my power supply.

i have yet to find out about my RAM and CPU. i am considering testing my ram on this computer, hopefully it will work. (not sure though if this comp supports PC3200, it does run PC2100 though).

im going to smart guardian and see if my PSU is giving the correct voltage readings as my old computer, smart guardian is off by some Volts, but i can compromise them.

my frown is turning upside down,

Tom :)

You might want to hold off on smiling just yet. Do RMA's cover damage done by the user? You might have to learn the hardway, everyone does at some point ;)