Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tmod_merged

Tmod and loggan26's Bios Flash CD & Utility CDs NF/4/3/2+ATI

I also have been having trouble using the cd and I'm unsure if it is because I haven't burned it correctly or if I have some bios setting that is causing a problem, and not being set properly when I load optimal defaults before I try to flash.

I've burned two different cd's using two different methods, 1) Tmods Nero Express method, and 2) Sharps MagicIso method. The results are the same no matter which I use.

I start machine and while waiting on del key I put in cd. Drive spins briefly. I open bios and set optimal defaults, then change boot order (set cd as first, hd as two, have no floppy so leave third disabled, make sure that cd order is correct- lite-on dvd first), disable cpu throttling, cool'n'quiet is always disabled, I set memory voltage to 2.5 (it always reads 2.6 even after optimal defaults, is that set by the ram spd or something?)

When I save and exit, I just get black screen, not even video signal (monitor has yellow power saver led, and green led that lights whenever there is a video signal- it stays yellow), I hear dvd drive start briefly, but that is it.

I remove cd, shut off machine, once by front button, others w/pws switch, and try to restart.

Again just black screen, no video. So I shut down and clear cmos jumper. Then on restart I get DFI splash, then device screen and cmos checksum error, safe mode, please setting cpu speed, choose F1 or DEL. I go to bios, load optimal defaults, save and exit, and it boots normally.

I did this 4 times using both cd's. Once I even cleared cmos before trying, made no difference. I'm sure that I am doing something wrong or that there is a bios setting that I am not doing correctly. All mem settings are on auto, timings displayed at boot screen are 2.5,4,4,8 lt1. Fsb is 200 (lowest), agp is 66 (lowest). Bios cache is disabled, is that correct?

If anyone is familiar with this board and cpu setup, I would be eternally grateful for a little assistance. This bios flash is becoming a monster.

Humbly beseeching you,

Rob

Sorry if I'm not understanding your question but what exactly is the problem? Did you already flash your BIOS and now your having problems booting into Windows and you have to do the above just to get into Windows? Or are you still trying to flash BIOS but it just won't boot after you set Optimal, set boot priority, etc... to the CD-ROM so you can't flash bios?

Guest Tmod

robprime,

Try setting all the boot devices as cdrom and see if that helps.

Tmod

Well. if it did flash the bios, I don't know anything about it. I have not seen hide nor hair of Tmods pretty menus. I know my machine is sort of fast but you'd think I'd notice. Just kidding. It did exactly what I said it did, absolutely nothing. Well, it must have done something, else I wouldn't have to keep resetting the cmos, but when I look at sys info in windows (just checked) it still says bios 8/27.

Could nTune or tweaksrus vid drivers be causing a prob?

OK Tmod, I'll try that.

Guest Tmod
I start machine and while waiting on del key I put in cd.

Make sure the CD is in the drive before the machine boots, Place CD in drive and reboot never removing the CD.

Tmod

ok, tried that and got same result.

I don't know what to do, fellas. I been looking at this thing for two days. I'm tired of it for tonight. Tomorrow I will redo the cd, taking excruciating pains to do it right. That is about all I can think of to do. Perhaps I screwed up somewhere, although I did use magicIso to burn memtest to a cd-rw and it worked perfectly. I will also re-dl the cd6.5 file. Maybe I have got a corrupt file, although the checksum is correct after I extract the iso.

I do appreciate your help, guys. It's probably some stupid little error somewhere.

I'll hang out for a few and see if anyone has any other ideas,

You guys are great, tho,

Rob

Sorry to be a newb here, first build and many probs setting new BIOS.

I decided to try your CD, but when winrar extracts it does not make an ISO, all I get is a folder with same name and another archive, which I extract also. Nothing.

Does not convert to ISO, what am I missing?

I am running x64 OS btw.

I read post above, but after I uncheck the ISO box I still get a folder, no disc icon.

Guest Tmod
I decided to try your CD, but when winrar extracts it does not make an ISO, all I get is a folder with same name and another archive, which I extract also. Nothing.

Did you read my tutorial's located in the first few posts?

Tmod

Hey there, Tmod,

Good day to you.

OK, I did what I said I'd do and dl your CD6.5 again, off the mirror server as the other sites public servers were down. I turned off my antivirus for the dl and used Getright, even tho the server does not support resuming, sometimes getright helps in maintaining the connection, so you have a better chance of not getting the 'Connection with server was reset' message @ 95% of a dl. I watched it all the way. Anyway, these numbers are probably familiar to you- the downloaded .Rar file was 31,493kb- windows properties say the size is 32,428,808 bytes, size on disk is 32,251,904 bytes. This is identical to the original dl.

This time I copy the .Rar over my net to the media pc where nero 6.6 ultra is. The file that gets there is also 31,493kb. I also turn off the antivirus on the media machine, cause it watches the home net also.

I extract the .iso here on my net machine, and it comes out fine, pic of little disk, .iso ext- file size 128,628kb, same as original extract from other day. Checksum is good also.

On the media machine when I extract, when I uncheck ISO in Rar, and I look back at it again, I see it is rechecked. I don't know whats up with that. When I extract there I get a file that is still 128,628kb but has rar icon and different name. I don't think that matters a whole lot, just rar's way of putting their stamp on things. The checksum is also good and Fastsum identifies it as an .iso file.

As does Nero. Apparently it's smart enough to drop the rar dressing. It was listed as .iso file. I burned this image using the long Nero method on the tutorial, flipping back and forth with my kvm, frame by frame, click by click. I used a brand new memorex 40x cd, black (cause they're cool looking). I don't think the color is a factor, I used a shiny silver cd-rw yesterday and it didn't work.

One other thing. As I don't have Nero on my net machine, I dl the MagicIso recommended by Sharp the other day and used it to make a memtest disk on a cd-rw, using a file I dl from links off the Overclockers guide. It worked fine. I also used it to make a second copy of the CD6.5 file here on this net pc, which did not work. I notice that it puts its name on all iso files it finds on a machine, just like rar tries to do with all compressed files. Again, I don't think that's a problem as it doesn't appear to add to or alter any files, just rename them when they are viewed in a folder or properties. I actually did not see any way to disassociate iso files from MagicIso.

If the Nero disk does not work then I will try to burn one w/MagicIso again, following the guide frame by frame, click by click.

Rob