Sign in to follow this  
ixtapalapaquetl

SATA/RAID 0 Help

Hi all. Just got a pair of 36GB raptors (first time using SATA) and want to set up RAID 0. After about 4 hours, I am officially admitting that I need help! I have not been able to find the right threads using search - my apologies for starting a new thread for something that surely has been addressed.

Problems:

1) I first just wanted to test the drives, which are in installed in ports 3 and 4 by the CPU. Windows recognizes both drives in device manager, but they are not seen in my computer. I understand they might need to be formatted first? I went to computer management, but the drives are not there either. I tried both the native windows drivers and the nVidia IDE drivers to no avail.

2) Ulitimately though, all I care about is setting up a RAID 0 array. More problems. I tried enabling RAID in BIOS, but I never got the option. I tried just enabling RAID, and enabling RAID additionally on the SATA primary and secondary channels (via submenu) without luck.

I think I want to set my cluster size/stripe at 16/64, and I understand that this can't be done in SP2, so I have a non-SP2 partition with the RAID drivers (both) installed waiting for use once I know what the hell I'm doing.

If anyone can talk me through this or point me to some relevent threads I would be most appreciative! Thanks much.

To set that kind of strip/cluster When you post hold down the F-10 key while it is posting.. dont wait for the option. when Dialog box for raid comes up Set 1st option to Striped0 then set youre stripe to 16 then add driver Tab to the drive press enter to select drives when it ask you to clear disk select yes then when that is all done set boot.

Now to set youre cluster the IDE H/D when you install XP on it make sure you press F-6 and add raid drivers.. When Intallation is complete .. just install drivers.. No updates required,, Then you should see youre raid dive in computer mananent/Disk management.

set it as a primary partition and the Dialog Box comes up for the selection set cluster to 64 if that is the cluster you want and format.

When it is done take out IDE H/D and run windows install F-6 add raid drivers.. both of then on the floppy.. And when it comes to the install partion.. Just select leave drine and current partition.. You will be on youre way

Jeebus. What a mess.

1) Downloaded WD Data Lifeguard Utility, which successfully formatted drives. They were then recognized in My Computer. That's good.

2) Enabled SATA 2 RAID in BIOS, and then got the options. Set up raid array, which was recognized as a single drive in My Computer. Also good.

3) nVidia RAID prompt said something like "ROM can not invoke". Noticed HTT kept jumping to 269. Other settings would hold, but almost always jumped back to 269. Less good.

4) RAIDed SATA drives were not recognized automatically in BIOS - had to force recognition. Bad.

5) During Windows setup, I installed the RAID drivers from the disk using . When it came time to actually install, I repeatedly got the message, "cannot copy nvraid.sys." Tried to push past with unpleasant results.

6) Defeated, I unplugged the SATA's and rebooted only to find my HTT at 429. @%!#&$.

Anyways... It seems like I saw that 429 stuff when people had problems with BIOS. I think I'll try flashing to the original 602 and see what happens. Note that 711 has been WONDERFUL until now! Go figure. Comments/suggestions are so totally welcome.

IHavethat same problem But mine sets to 349.. The routine I have to do is set it back to 200. Boot into windows. And reboot a few times without changing any thing. then I have to change just 1 or 2 things at a time.. and reboot into windows a few times , then I can change what ever I want...I wouldnt try the install Or a BIOS change till you get it stable.. But it will even out

I successfully flashed to 602. HTT problems seem gone. menu is there, and array is deemed healthy. Remaining unresolved issues (which appear in both 711 and 602) are as follows:

1) Weird "Rom can not be invoke" message in nVidia RAID menu. This may not be a big deal; I have read that some just blow it off with no ill effect.

2) Frequently, BIOS will not detect the SATA drives, necessitating forced detection.

3) Inability to get Windows to successfully copy nvraid.sys during setup.

I'm going to work the USB angle; maybe that'll help.

Hey, what settings do you use in the RAID submenu in BIOS? It seems like I have to enable SATA master, SATA slave, SATA 2 master, and finally SATA 2 slave. Is this normal?

Also, what would happen if I used the Windows drivers instead of the nVidia drivers on the floppy?

Thanks for all your help.

I successfully flashed to 602. HTT problems seem gone. menu is there, and array is deemed healthy. Remaining unresolved issues (which appear in both 711 and 602) are as follows:

1) Weird "Rom can not be invoke" message in nVidia RAID menu. This may not be a big deal; I have read that some just blow it off with no ill effect.

2) Frequently, BIOS will not detect the SATA drives, necessitating forced detection.

3) Inability to get Windows to successfully copy nvraid.sys during setup.

I'm going to work the USB angle; maybe that'll help.

Hey, what settings do you use in the RAID submenu in BIOS? It seems like I have to enable SATA master, SATA slave, SATA 2 master, and finally SATA 2 slave. Is this normal?

Also, what would happen if I used the Windows drivers instead of the nVidia drivers on the floppy?

Thanks for all your help.

1)The rom invoke thing is just anoying but it really doesn't affect anything.

2)If your using them in raid the bios will not detect them but there working just the same.

3)If your using another hard drive that is ide drive you need to set the boot priority to try that one first. If you don't you'll get the missing files error message.

the easiest way to get your drives to play nice with each other is to use a dual boot setup if your using both types of drives. Which ever one you setup second will be your default boot drive (the one on top)when you see the windows boot screen.

Almost have it!!!

Disabled USB, Firewire, and other nonessentials in BIOS. Think that got rid of BIOS invoke nonsense.

More impoortantly, I think the primary source of my difficulties resulted from the slipstreamed Windows SP2 I was using for installation (FYI: both Nemesis 2 and 4, though tres awesome, caused me incalculable pain while RAIDing. Come to think of it, I can calculate it - roughly 11 hours of suffering.). Found an old pre-SP1 disk, and things proceeded swimingly! nvraid.sys loaded fine, as did everything else. Booted into Windows without event.

Here's my (hopefully) last battle: I rebooted in order to activate my PATA drives. Changed what I needed to in BIOS. But after "building VMI data", I did not have the option to boot into my RAIDed OS! Previous OS installs on PATA's are available. It's almost like my system forgot all about the RAID Windows installation.

Any ideas how I can get it to boot from the array?

I'm not really sure which is which what you say cluster/stripe, probably the

same thing:

Cluster is the bios raid setup size (4-64k), formatting "block/chunk" size is

when formatting. I'm not too technical on that except what I have read.

From what I've read, its best to have the same cluster/chunk size and the ideal

is about 16k.

But alas, from what I read, XP/2K doesent really like chunk size on the boot

partition other than 4k. Some have tried to get around that by partitioning

and formatting the raid 0 array using a pata drive with the os installed which

looks like what you tried to do. Seems the trouble comes when installing XP

on a "non-primary" boot partition of the raid array. Seems the only way on the

os side to "mark" the primary as bootable through setup is to auto invalidate

the partition making it needing reformatting. Hey, funny that Microsoft how they

snooker ya.

I've run the same array drives from a nf2 board to this one. Its almost 3 years

old now. I've tried to force a 16/16k boot partition via a pata but it didn't work.

So, I have a primary for XP os auto formatted at a 4k chunk on initial install.

Then partitioned/formatted the rest of the array with 16k chunks.

I have 4 partitions with a small 30g 16/4k primary OS. All my programs, data

and pagefiles are installed on other 16/16k partitions.

Hope this helps.