Sign in to follow this  
Cythrawl

Gas Prices

My next car will be a VW diesel Jetta. About 50 mpg with no problems of batteries or electronics. Hybrids are a neat idea but limited. Battery life and battery recycling costs along with some questionable longevity of the electronics involved. Also the torque of the diesel is massive at useable rpm. The hybrid has about 1/2 the torque at much higher rpm.

I drive a focus (gas) that gets 32 mpg. I parked my Chevy 3/4 ton pickup because I don't need it on a daily basis. The focus is a work car. Going from 19 to 32 mpg is nice. My net goal is to go from 32 to 50mpg. I work for one of the big 3 American automaker. They just don't get it. If the American builders do not offer a diesel passenger car my next purchase will be the VW. My truck gets used on occasion. If there is bad winter driving or high water the truck is still king over any car.

On another note. Gas has reached $3.45 here today... Labor day weekend and its gonna be over $4 im sure.. :confused:

That urine powered car is looking more and more attractive..

No, I hadn't heard of that before, but I'm not surprised, Mass is so progressive in so many positive ways.

LOLOL

:)

Very true... Massholes we call em :P

EDIT: Just wanted to say I'm not saying your of the rah rah type nor or am I making you a target...I'm just generalizing from experience some of the stuff I have read, etc that has bothered me. Often these threads elsewhere turn into a flame war because both sides are yelling at each other.

----

Cythrawl, I am against THIS war although I know we can't leave it, but I don't appreciate being told we have forgotten 911, I watched the buildings come down and I never forgot, and my friends haven't forgot and we don't need another 911 to be reminded. I have heard that kind of thinking and it seems to come from those of the don't criticize the President, rah rah war camp. I just refuse walk in lockstep and wave my little Chinese made U.S. flag. Well, I just hope no one here gets killed or loses family in the next attack that we so desperately need.

And I'm neither a hardcore lib or repub by the way, so tired of this being a us vs them fight.

EDIT: Just wanted to say I'm not saying your of the rah rah type nor or am I making you a target...I'm just generalizing from experience some of the stuff I have read, etc that has bothered me. Often these threads elsewhere turn into a flame war because both sides are yelling at each other.

----

Cythrawl, I am against THIS war although I know we can't leave it, but I don't appreciate being told we have forgotten 911, I watched the buildings come down and I never forgot, and my friends haven't forgot and we don't need another 911 to be reminded. I have heard that kind of thinking and it seems to come from those of the don't criticize the President, rah rah war camp. I just refuse walk in lockstep and wave my little Chinese made U.S. flag. Well, I just hope no one here gets killed or loses family in the next attack that we so desperately need.

And I'm neither a hardcore lib or repub by the way, so tired of this being a us vs them fight.

Let me just clear this up... I didnt tell you ... If you read my posts properly, it was people who were involved in 9/11 and people in the USA Intelligence that I was quoting.. I was merely passing on the information.

If you had even watched Inside 9/11 or even did a bit of research about it then you would see that there are plenty of people saying this, Even people high up in the military and goverment..

If you took what I said as a personal attack and Im sorry. I am merely passing on information. I know everyone hasnt forgotton 9/11 thats not the point I was trying to say. the point was that people seem to forget the reason we are in the war now. 9/11 was the catalyst for this very war if you like it or not. To say it isnt is a very blinkered and blinded view. You might NOT appreciate it, but then the saying goes that the truth hurts as well.

Again its not a personal attack on you, the USA or anything like that. But the sad fact is, that people are against this war now and will be until Al-Quaeda attacks again. And as the FBI said, its not a matter of if, but when.

And I ALSO remember that when 9/11 happened, Saddam and his cronies were outside in the streets celebrating the attacks shooting guns in the air and burning American flags. They were sympathetic to Al-Quaeda completly, and even though that wasnt the reason Iraq was invaded I think that it could have been a damn good one.

People are blaming Bush for the whole Al-Quada threat, but it was really Clinton's Administration who are to blame. The Clinton Administration had Osama handed to them on a silver platter by Sudan THREE TIMES (I remembered now) and all three times they didnt do squat. IMO Clinton signed all those poor people in New York Death warrents when he did this because we was too cowardly to actually DO something about it. The FBI warned him, his own Intelliegnce warned him but he didnt do anything. And again do we see anything done about it??? No..

Again if you had watched Inside 9/11 and read up on all this you would see that what I am trying to tell you isnt crap, and you would have seen this quote from the towel headed maniac himself:

"The USA loves life, we love death. That is the difference between us"

To Ignore that and just not even do anything is complete suiscide..

And about the Made in China Flags thing... My wife and a bunch of her friends, next year on the 4th of July is going to make hundreds and hundreds of American flags, and be on a float that says "Flags made 100% in the USA" at next years July 4th parade and will be handing them out.. For the past few years the parade has been giving out flags to everyone and they all say Made in China... Wonderful..

:: Edit I just read you edit too... heheeh.. Im not arguing any points, Im just stating facts thats all.. Im not Pro war or Pro Towel head either. Personally I think its become a very unsafe world that we live in and until something disasterous happens its going to keep happening.. We have a HUGE disaster looming that could happen tomorrow, or in the next 1000 years, but it WILL happen and human population will decline to only a few thousand worldwide. It makes all this war/religion/crap really petty when you look at it that way

A little off the topic of gas prices, but maybe not...

Refering to this tv show "inside 911". There are many many unanswered questions. There are many people who even believe that the top people in our very own government did the 911 attacks, for a reason to go to war. Now I hate to think this is true, but just just offering up some things I've read. And I understand that things like this will be said, regardless if they are true or not. But the fact remains, that there are many unanswered questions. Some professional people that have brought up these questions have been silenced or fired for doing so. When it comes to war, possible conspiracy, etc., anything the government doesn't really want us to know, 99.9% of the population only get what they see on tv. It's the american way. Let's not forget that tv is controlled by the government, so they are only telling us what they want us to hear, nothing else. A couple unanswered questions that I wonder, is first, I thought the fact that the buildings fell was odd. The architects that built them said they could withstand an impact like that, even more. From what I've read, the people that have asked these types of questions were silenced. Also, the way the buildings fell almost looked as if it was a controlled explosion. Second, firefighters that made it up there, said that there wasn't much of a fire and to only send two hoses to put it out. If this was true, could a little fire this high up cause the whole thing to implode? I don't know and I'm not trying to say it was a conspiracy, just saying there are unanswered questions, and don't believe half of what they say on TV. There is alot of questions out there. If you're interested, search the internet for 911 conspiracy. There's tons of info out there. How true it is I don't know.

Not saying we shouldn't be at war at all. Those bastards were celebrating, and some even claimed they did it. That's enough for me.

All this talk of war, tv, and bush reminds me of a perfect circle song. If you have real player, check it out. http://boss.streamos.com/real/virg001/a_pe...?siteid=preview

Bush's policy of killing all the terrorists does not work....

for every person he kills, there father, brothers, friends, sisters, uncles all may become terrorists.

Bush acts like having military bases in kuwait, Saudi arabia, turkey, afghanistan, and iraq dont cause terrorism.

Oh, and dont forget. Every time you see a isralei soldier, they are using american guns, tanks, helicopters, and jets.............

no one wants nuclear power because the few very loud screamers that claim "three mile island! three mile island!!!" so loud that you can't hear anything else always win....yet France gets something like 75%+ of their electricity from nuclear power and no major accidents that I can think of to this day.

I would hope that the nuclear power plants that would be built today would be 10000x safer than the 3Mile Island reactor (seeing as how that was getting on 30 years ago)

but you always get caught by the screamers who act like they speak for the majority of americans when in reality they only represent about 5% or less (because of their extreme views one way or another).

I agree with you guys on the Nuclear power, we really need to get more plants up and running. If it wasn't for those people crying foul about the nuclear reactors, we wouldn't be in such a tight spot right now.

And regarding the comment about safer nuclear reactors, they do exist. They are called pebble bed reactors. They are alot smaller and generate alot less power, but are modular and are easily combined to provide large ammounts of power output. So while one producing the same power as a regular nuclear power plant is a bit bigger, it is much much safer (even though regular nuclear power plants are very safe as it is).

Oh and speaking of France... France is to be the home of the ITER projects prototype fussion reactor. It will help a ton with energy needs when we get those up and running.

Guest oRiOn
Bush's policy of killing all the terrorists does not work....

for every person he kills, there father, brothers, friends, sisters, uncles all may become terrorists.

Bush acts like having military bases in kuwait, Saudi arabia, turkey, afghanistan, and iraq dont cause terrorism.

Oh, and dont forget. Every time you see a isralei soldier, they are using american guns, tanks, helicopters, and jets.............

I never looked at it how you stated it above. Very good thought. Bush still needs to get 95% if not 100% of all armed forces out of Iraq :rolleyes:

On another thought anyone hear about China saying they want to expand their empire? They said that the places that could hold their population (that they would take over) would be USA,Canada, or the Aussies. The disturbing thing they said is that they want the buildings left alone they just want the people killed. I heard that 2 days ago.

Back on topic:

Man those gas prices are high :shake:

Orion

1. I'm just angry about gasoline and why everyone has to drive a giant Fun Tank 2005 everywhere. $3.13/gal is what i saw when I just hopped over to FedEx in momma's 13 year old Geo Prism that gets about 40 miles to the gallon on the highway heh.

2. Keep in mind that hydroelectric damns do have some fish killing, but you have to realize that those damns not only provide power, but the ability to irrigate arid lands (here in the west this is especially true) and allow farmers to be able to grow efficiently (ask momma how hard it is to run a farm these days).

3. want better cars that use less gas? prepare to pay more for technology for a while to allow this, or for stinky french-fry smelling cars heh

4. problem in my opinion is americans (and probably others) don't really want to give to get...we just hope that everyone else gives up their gashog FunTank 9000 Super Truck for a hybrid Toyota so we don't have to =/

1. not everyone can have a hybrid angry. --- those things are small and not AS powerful as you "fun tank". the hybrid cars are powered 1/2 gasoline, and 1/2 electric. gasoline provides more power for the car, but it does pollute :tooth: . on the other hand, i myslef have nothing to brag about hybrid cars. you are still buying gas. if your one who has a 10 gallon tank, the hybrid user is paying 1/2 as much as you are. for instance theyd be paying for 5 gallons (due to the other half being electric).

BUT, hybrids all come into play. ok, so your paying 1/2 the price of gas your standard honda accord user is paying for (just for thought). their is truely no GOOD deal in the world now. gas powered, hybrid or not. with hybrids the goverment is now saying YOU, the Hybrid user and owner, will HAVE to pay taxes on your car. this is not random new stuff. your still going to end up paying more for your car than just gas, insurance, and inspection.

2. until they start powering cars by horse manuer, ide still stick with a gas engine. :P

3. angry, the technoligy is already out. car companies and gas companies are making much much more than what they used to, and they love it. they are enjoying every minute of it.

my father has a friend who once made his own carburator for a car. more gas efficent, you could go triple the amount of mileage than a standard. the companies werent stupid (and this was in the 80's or 90's, somewhere around then)... he sold it to a car company, they bought it, the pattented it so no one else could make it or sell it or what not, and threw the design away.

THAT is how money greedy those companies are. they KNOW they CAN make this technoligy, but they DONT want to. Gas companies and car companies currently have the whole world in their hands. So does the government. And they wont stop.

Technoligy of that sort is already out, and gone. They have it, dont need extra money for it, but refuse to make it, because THEY are the ones who are racking in the cash.

4. not everyone is a richie rich, not everyone is homeless. people still need trucks and things for daily use, work, or to lug things from here to there.

i can agree it is not necessairy to have a truck that is getting the mileage a hummer gets (in other words, not alot)... but standard trucks, tonka toys or what not, many people i know have trucks, some need them for work (contractor), some of them as ive said need them to bring stuff from homedepot and back.

Guest Blooz1

Goltnor, is that a government mandated price?

Our petroleum companies would NEVER put up with that, even if we had all the oil in the Middle East!