Gas Prices

Cythrawl

They don't magicially produce energy from water. That would be like pouring water into a fuel tank and firing up the engine.

That's right. I wasn't trying to say water alone. My point was no gasoline, and that there are other alternatives.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rate we are going we might not have the gas money to drive to local market and pick up the pretzel rolls! They said they wouldn't hit 3$ look at it now, I am thinking it will prob end at 4, because after that I can't see middle class being able to commute with V8's, at least not well.

We'll survive the gas thing, just don't let them run out of pretzel rolls.

-pickles

Theres this cat that lives in San Diego and he would come to my restaurant and pick up my old peanut frying oil and mix it with kerosine and use that for his truck.. He gets 60 to 70 miles to the gallon no bull@#*%...

There's someone here in Salt Lake City that does the same

To the original poster...

You need to be a little more careful when you compare units of measure between different countries. The British standard units of measure aren’t always the same as the American standard units. Two examples are the ton and the gallon. The British Imperial Gallon is ~4.55 L whereas the American Gallon is only 3.79L and thus the mpg for the various models of Ford Focus's aren't as bad as you made them sound.

As for the gas prices and alternatives…

I'd love to see the US start producing the same grade diesel as Europe and American cars start using the same diesel engines here as we ship overseas. You would see a significant increase in gas mileage but the diesel would be significantly more expensive than what we currently have available here in the states because it is much more highly refined.

The EPA has gotten way out of hand when it comes to fuel refinery...just read up about what sort of steps are required to upgrade a refinery (it gets ridiculously expensive). It is practically impossible for companies to build new ones or upgrade the old ones.

If the oil industry was allowed to drill at more locations a lot of our problems would be remedied, but I fear that we won’t see this happen for quite a long time considering that the tree-huggers are very good at lobbying.

As for the bio-diesel, I used to live in Boulder, CO and it was fairly common for people to make bio-diesel. It requires a bit of processing of the frying grease that is used and you never want to get behind someone using it. The exhaust smells like McDonald's (I hate that smell) and it lingers for quite a while.

Jim

gas hit 3.00 here tonight. I work on the night shift. Also I saw several cars parked at the gas station and i asked why. apparently my town is out of gas.... only one station left and its out. Of course i shruged and said that sucked and got my diesel... of course it cost about 100 dollars to fill the tank but thats the way its gonna be.

Although many of the larger trucking companies stated that when the diesel prices rose to 3.00 that they would be shutting down, nation won't run without trucks no matter how ya look at it so watch for the diesel to level out as gas prices keep rising.

Although many of the larger trucking companies stated that when the diesel prices rose to 3.00 that they would be shutting down, nation won't run without trucks no matter how ya look at it so watch for the diesel to level out as gas prices keep rising.

Scared as hell. Most of the stations I drove by this morning had raised prices $.50 per gallon. Regular is at $3.25 in my neck of the woods. This will send a huge shockwave through the economy.

We need to invade Alaska now and steal the oil.

To the original poster...

You need to be a little more careful when you compare units of measure between different countries. The British standard units of measure aren’t always the same as the American standard units. Two examples are the ton and the gallon. The British Imperial Gallon is ~4.55 L whereas the American Gallon is only 3.79L and thus the mpg for the various models of Ford Focus's aren't as bad as you made them sound.

if you read my post properly you would have read that I have ALREADY done the conversions.

i know they are different hence why I did the conversions.

here are the UK numbers just to prove my point these are taken from Fords UK Website BEFORE Conversion!!!!!!

Duratec 20 16V I-4 EPA Est MPG: 25.2 City / 46.3 Highway

Duratec 1.4 16v I-4 EPA Est MPG: 32.5 City / 52.4 Highway

Duratec 1.6 16v I-4 EPA Est MPG: 32.5 City / 55.4 Highway

Duratec 20 Dualtorq EPA Est MPG: 38.2 City / 61.4 Highway

and again in case you missed it here is what I posted :

Ford Focus UK/Europe (all numbers have been converted from UK MPG to US MPG Yes there IS a Difference!!)

Duratec 20 16V I-4 EPA Est MPG: 21 City / 38 Highway

Duratec 1.4 16v I-4 EPA Est MPG: 28 City / 44 Highway ** Not AVAIL IN US**

Duratec 1.6 16v I-4 EPA Est MPG: 28 City / 47 Highway ** Not AVAIL IN US**

Duratec 20 Dualtorq EPA Est MPG: 32 City / 52 Highway ** Not AVAIL IN US**

And again to prove a point here are the US Versions:

Ford Focus USA:

Duratec 20 16V I-4 EPA Est MPG: 26 City / 35 Highway

Duratec 20E 16v I-4 EPA Est MPG: 26 City / 35 Highway

Duratec 23 16V I-4 EPA Est MPG: 23 City / 32 Highway

Having come from the UK originally and moved here three years ago, I'd think I would know that theres a difference between Imperial and US Units.

Its pretty sad that the BEST that Ford US can do is 35mpg Hwy and Ford UK witht the same car, but obviously different engine can get 52mpg (again both in US MPG!). Gas grade is no different in the UK as it is in the US. Its exaclty the same stuff. Back before this Gas Crisis and before I moved, you could get Amrican Muscle cars imported. The only conversion they need was a catalytic converter so the cars would comply with EU Law on emmissions. Nothing else was done to the engine. (Desile is a different matter I think).

Hope that clears things up, and yes it STILL looks bad when you compare two vehicles from the SAME company (only in different parts of the world) that do not run the same. And to add to the fact that the car manf's. here say they CANT make them run better is just crap.. That was the point of my post. :)

$3.87gal for premium here in Denver........ OUCH ......... :tooth:

Off Topic:

When i went to get gas i stopped at Burger King for some breakfast and there big giant burger king sign read... TRY ARE NEW ANUS MUSHROOM BURGER... I think it was supposed to read.. TRY ARE NEW ANGUS MUSHROOM BURGER... I told the manger to look at his sign, he did with no response. It's my guess he's the one that put the sign up :rolleyes:

Well it shouldent shock you people its just any reason they can to up the price just look at every three day weekend on thursday the gas gose up. its the usa way how the rich can steal from the poor :confused: