623 series bios - No worky with 4000 SD?

EXACT Same Thing happened to me. Turned out to be a bad motherboard, although everyone here claimed it was my psu (Thermaltake 680w)... which is now running my new SLI-DR just fine.

Don't waste your time doing the overnight CMOS clear like they will tell you to do... just RMA the board.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't see 615 anywhere... can you give me a link to the collection of BIOS?

Also, I am having problems with the reboot problem. But do you think flashing bios on the first boot after clearing CMOS will cause any problem? I am a bit worried.

Do not use 615 unless you have a native PS2 Keyboard !!! This 615 bios has a very nasty USB BUG which, if the flash resulted in incompatible settings, could even stop the bootprocess flashing a message that you have to change biossettings which you can't because the bios does not recognize a USB keyboard.

618 solved this I think.

Don't waste your time doing the overnight CMOS clear like they will tell you to do... just RMA the board.

It does seem crazy, but I know of atleast 3 people that this has actually worked. After many clear cmos, including 15 minutes long. After removing all components from case, and trying only the bare essentials, and 1 stick of ram in slot 2. Only after a day long clear cmos did it work. Doesn't work for everyone, and probably not that many at all, but point is, is that it has actually worked.

http://home.no/trac3r/dfi_lanparty_nf4_sliultra_bios.htm

u have to make sure your system is stable before proceeding with the flash.. if it reboots in the middle of the flash.. i smell the need for a new bios chip

Hmm.. so if that's the case, we are in trouble anyway since 623 can't get us stable regardless. if anyone have that similar problem and got it resolved, plllss help!

I guess I can try a super long clear cmos, I have exhausted almost every other option I have. My cmos profiles are all empty, this is a relatively new board, sent to replace one that died from 4v jumper & high voltage RAM issues (cold boot turned to no boot). 623-2, 623-3, 704-2BT, none of them will save to CMOS after the initial boot.

I have wasted about 8 hours of my weekend trying every possible combination to get this to work, and I am about fed up. 510-2 boots fine, I am typing on it right now. When I load 510-2, it pops right up like it should. I am using settings RyderOCZ posted on the OCZ forums at bleedinedge.com. If an 8 hour CMOS clear doesn't work, guess I am going to have to fight for a RMA, which may be tough since this board is a RMA replacement itself. Or even worse, start using an Asus backup board

I have had problems with this board once, it killed a stick of bh-5 under burnin or the stick just died after that tried to boot with a diffrent stick no go cleared cmos 20min, 3hours and finally a 24 hours, giv it 24 hours, clear cmos remove powercable and batteri and cross your fingers, this board can be a painful experience

I gave the cmos an 8 hour clear while in classes today, same results as before, even tried it with just a bare system (mobo, proc, video card), all hard drives and sound card removed. It seems painfully obvious that the BIOS chip is faulty, they should not require more than a few seconds to clear. The bios isn't remembering the new settings for whatever reason. I then reloaded 510 bios, it came up immediately. :confused:

I hate to go through the painful RMA process again, may just take the shotgun to this POS and swap to a different brand for good :shake: But I HATE the thought of another windows installation for a new board, I just redid this one.

Guest viking

i didnt had any probs flashing 623 and it work fine on my comp "i didnt had time to try oc whit this bios yet

have u tryed to take the batery out

and load defalt before u falsh and after

I have a similar setup as you. I was not able to flash to 6.23 with a floppy.

What I did was, get up and running with old bios (3.x) and one stick on ram in the first orange slot.

Installed XP, installed M/B drivers, including vid drivers.

Downloaded WinFlash utility http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

(download the program and the guide from this link)

Used it to flash to 6-23. Only then was I able to run both 1G sticks in orange.

Guest Spartacus

>>It seems painfully obvious that the BIOS chip is faulty, they should not require more than a few seconds to clear. The bios isn't remembering the new settings for whatever reason.

You don't clear a BIOS flash chip with the jumper. You clear a CMOS RAM chip. They are totally different chips with different functions. When you enter the BIOS setup and make your changes, that data is stored in the CMOS RAM (not the BIOS chip). Kind of similar to the process of running the application MS Word (the BIOS in this comparison) and then saving your data as a ".doc" file (the CMOS RAM in this comparison).

The BIOS chip holds the BIOS code that runs the board. That code (firmware) is flashed into the chip and does not change unless you flash a new BIOS version. The CMOS RAM chip holds the setup data that is read by the BIOS after powering up. The CMOS chip has a battery to backup the data stored in it. If the CMOS chip loses all power including battery power, then it will be cleared and it will lose all of the setup data (again, not the BIOS code).

The point of clearing the CMOS with the jumper is to clear out any potential garbage that could be causing a POST problem. You need to make sure you remove all power from the mobo to clear the CMOS. All power means unplugging the AC power cord (to turn off the standby 5v that is ON even when the PC is OFF) and removing the battery that is meant to save the data when the computer is off.

When you realize how the system works, you understand why it is necessary to take all the steps that are suggested to clear the CMOS.

Ok, I used the wrong terminology, I understand what the CMOS and BIOS are, I read AG's flash guildelines months ago, and always follow them. The combination of misbehaving mobo and physics homework has my brain a bit scrambled :shake: Good analogy though.

The thing is I followed the proper procedure EXACTLY to a tee, including battery removal and power cord removal, and the dang thing still refuses to accept a bios update. I have been flashing properly the entire time, the flash procedure isn't my problem.

I have flashed BIOS on several different boards, including my previous SLI-DR and never had a problem. I always use the flash utility from DOS, it's pretty hard to mess up. It was always taught that flashing from windows was a bad idea, so I avoid it. However, drastic situations call for drastic measures, so I'm gonna give the Winflash a go. It seems completely wrong, but hey, sometimes the logical solutions don't work and the illogical solution is the route to go by (our govt lives by this motto I think) Another thing I may try is to flash back to an older bios, maybe 3/10 or 3/16, before trying to flash to a newer one. If I ever get this to work, you will probably hear me celebrating on the other side of the globe, and I will be certain to make the solution known !