Hurricane Katrina - Now with Video Link

red930

Me and Cobia69 are going to stay put. We're just north of Interstate 10 and above elevation 23ft with National Forest and Wildlife Refuge on three sides.

We're both single with no children so we decided to stay and help with the cleanup. All the supplies are put away, the plywood is ready to go over the back door if something happens.

RGone and I just got off the phone and he offered us a place to stay which was real nice of him.

We're gonna move the Jimmy in front of the garage door to break the wind.

I'll be around the forum between naps and weather updates. We just got our first bit of rain and the winds are a steady 15kts with gusts up to 20kts.

You can watch the storm with this link

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.klix.shtml

You will need Java installed. It will lead you through the setup if you don't have Java installed.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadie you my friend are one crazy man.... But im sure you have plenty of experience with these hurricans.... Good luck and tell use all the wild . that happens.. I actually have a fetish for hurricans.. I lived in Charleston South Carolina and would go out to Folly Beach and surf the Hurrican swells :nod:

Two gallons of bleach will make over 1000 gallons of drinking water. After taping the drains you fill the tubs for toilet flushing water. Lots of comfort food and beer. We'll even have A/C with the generator. lol

If we didn't feel safe we would never have stayed.

We made the decision to stay based upon the direction of the storm and our location. We'll know in about 8 hours how good that decision was. After that it will be too late to make a run for it.

Any prayers you guys can offer are welcome.

Prayers from Japan to you. Being from the Gulf Coast (Galveston, Texas), I know how bad these storms can get!

Oh, and don't let anyone try to tell you that a typhoon is as bad as a hurricane... I've been through like 20 typhoons since I've been here in Japan, and it's all just a bunch of rain... It hardly even makes thunder or lightning here! Nothing compared to the colossal storms that hit the gulf coast!

Like I said roadie, we'll be praying for you over here in Japan.

Just took a look at the NWS GOES Storm Floater 1 Satellite Water Vapor Loop with the MSLP2 data displayed.

Link requires JAVA...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

Once the image is displayed you can check the boxes "Severe Watch/Warn and MSLP2 for reference.

Looks like it's still moving to the west slightly which is good for us.

At the time that I'm posting this. If you can find Mobile Bay then follow the Mississippi/Alabama state line down to the coast, find the text T752 where the line of 1004 runs. We are at the top of the numbers between the 7 and the 5. That's Jackson County and we are about 10 miles from the state line.

Guest Buckstitch
Any prayers you guys can offer are welcome.

You can have all my prayers good luck ExRoadie

Thanks everyone.

I'm gonna try and get some sleep. I've been laughing at the stoopid news people trying to pronounce the place names down here.

The one guy on MSNBC in the red parka on Bourbon Street looks like Kenny from South Park. LOL

Oh my god! Is Wayne Brady gonna hav'ta slap Kenny.

First little power blip. Just enough to reset the clock on my coffee pot.

She just made a wobble to the east and everyone in New Orleans is cheering.

At least I still have internet access.

Winds are above 40kts with gusts up to 50kts. Lots of shingles from nearby roofs. Really hard to stand up with rain gear on. Easier with just a pair of shorts on. Plus you dry off quicker. Banana trees are getting hammered.

Sun won't be up for another hour so don't know who's shingles they are.

The data buoy 64nm south of here is sustained 50kts gusts above 60kts. Wave height is around 38ft.

http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page...l?station=42040

Time to shut down the rest of the rigs and save battery power.

Later!

gl ex roadie. In a weird kind of messed up way I wish I was near there myself. We don't ever get anything exciting like this in northeast Ohio. Maybe an occasional thunderstorm or a couple feet of snow. Once a year we'll hear about a tornado within a couple hundred miles. Maybe the weird kind of way is knowing the possibility that I would have to miss work (since the workplace is completely submerged) and spend the day with my gf doing nothing at all around the house.