Sign in to follow this  
r3m3dy

Utility Drivers

I installed windows xp and now i am trying to install the utility drivers that came with my motherboard. What i need to to is make my hard drive assigned the letter C instead of I. Does anyone know how i can go about doing this? Someone told me I should start fresh, so i did, i uninstalled windows and deleted the partition. now i just installed windows again and the drive is still assigned the same letter. please help me. btw i am using bios version 3/10/2005.

You need to reinstall the OS with only the boot drive installed. Make sure you don't have any card readers or other drives attached.

The current BIOS revision is 6/23 I believe.

I installed windows xp and now i am trying to install the utility drivers that came with my motherboard. What i need to to is make my hard drive assigned the letter C instead of I. Does anyone know how i can go about doing this? Someone told me I should start fresh, so i did, i uninstalled windows and deleted the partition. now i just installed windows again and the drive is still assigned the same letter. please help me. btw i am using bios version 3/10/2005.

should i remove my second hard drive also? also another question i have is how do i stop it from naming all of these "removable drives". i have no clue what they are

The problem I am having is that I cannot get my Driver Utility Disk(the one that comes with dfi motherboards) to install on my newly built computer. First time I installed windows I put the disk in and heard the motor run for a few seconds and then stop. It didn't auto run so I went to the root directory of the cd and I "explored" it and I clicked on the setup.exe. This had a similar effect ex: loading timer+ motor running for a few seconds and then stopping. I then tried shutting down my computer and a "end program bios.exe" popped up. I ended the program and restarted the computer repeating what I have already said receiving the same effect. I then uninstalled windows and deleted the partition. Before installing windows again I tried booting this utility disk but it would not boot so I proceeded to install windows again in hopes that it would assign the correct letters to my hard drives. I then repeated what I have already said above and decided to try an old dvd reader in my computer. It gave me the error message "No disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive /Device/Harddisk2/DR3." This is currently where I am stuck. The perfect help for me since this is my first build would be for somone to reply with a detailed procedure to take. But if you aren't willing to do that much work a push in the right direction would also be great allthough I might make a mistake. Since I know the bios settings would be a part of this step by step guide I would also like to know if I should flash the updated bios and which bios settings I should change(I should be receiving a new heatsink which will lower my temps in a few weaks)(currently my temps are all around 50c.)

I only install the OS with the single boot drive or array. This way I never have to worry about any goofy drive assignments.

The removable drives are most likely from a multi-card reader you have hooked up to the USB port.

should i remove my second hard drive also? also another question i have is how do i stop it from naming all of these "removable drives". i have no clue what they are

the only thing i have hooked up to the usb port is my mouse and monitor. i did conncect the extra usb ports(ones on top of my case) to the motherboard. could those be it?

A regular USB port doesn't get a drive letter assigned until a device is attached. A card reader for flash memory will get assigned a drive letter as soon as it's detected.

Just to get the OS installed with the least amount of trouble you might want to turn off all of the onboard items. These include but are not limited too...

Audio, Firewire, USB, Network adapters, SIL SATA controller

The less things the OS install has to deal with the better.

the only thing i have hooked up to the usb port is my mouse and monitor. i did conncect the extra usb ports(ones on top of my case) to the motherboard. could those be it?