Sign in to follow this  
MattTim2004

Stocks, Mutual Funds, Investing?

Hey guys, I've been recently researching a ton on Investments. (Stocks, Mutual Funds) I was wondering if there were any real Pro's out there that could help me get started...

I could put around 300-500 starting, and then around 100-200 a month to keep it going.

I've heard of investing clubs, and others like it, and wanted to see how many of you know what your doing in this area, and could give me some advice.

BTW, I'm 18, and will have a steady job for the next 10 years (Navy), so hoping they could just take the$$ out of my bank acct every month or whatever, so I wont have to worry too much about it.

No risk:

I would suggest 1 year cds for now till these intrest rates get a bit higher. If it ever gets above 10%, lock that cd in for 3 years at your next renewl.

Moderate risk:

You need to talk to a investor for mutual funds (stocks) after you have saved up some capitol. The "No Risk" method suits the bill for this perfectly.You go to the agent with a couple cd passbooks, id say $5,000 worth would be a good initial investment for a 20 year old. I use American Express investment advisors. I keep most of my money in mutual funds, which are no more then combination of about 20 fortune 500 companies stocks, grouped together, as stable companies worthy of my money. I get a statement at end of month, and on front page it tells me how i did on a "whole" that month. Then the other 39 pages list each and every stock that mutal fund is in, and the breakdown of what i had last year, what i had last week and what i have now. Some months i do great, some months i cry so hard. I cant complain, because i have more money then i started with, and i think that is the goal. Remember this is the "moderate risk" so you have to tell that to your agent when you get started.

American Express advisors, has left American Express the parent company, and is going to, or has already been re-named. Not real sure what it is.

Moderate to high risk:

This is just as the name implies. You could lose it all quick here, so be careful. Tell you agent to invest in high risk, as you are young, and could afford to lose the money this early in your life. Your agent should be well versed in were to put your money as soon as you say this. Im sure he has put alot there from other clients already. But everyone of those stocks has the risk to fold 5 seconds after he put the money in.

If by some act of God the stocks do good, could possibly triple you money in a month,week,8 hours? Who knows. Risk = wealth or poverty, no real in between. You give the agent the power to know when to sell out of one stock, and buy another. he would usually try to get a hold of you if you work near a phone. The more years a agent has in buisness, the less he will call you.

High risk:

Save up a $1,000.00, watch the junk bond market for trends. Alot of companys do better based soley on differant times of the month. Learn which times those are, and buy low, sell high. this is a get rich quick method were many make it big, but many more lose there butt. If you cant afford to lose it, dont invest it.

If you were my kid, id tell you do the no risk first (cd's) save the $5,000.00, and put it in moderate. Then save another $5,000.00 and put it in high risk. The cost of retirement is getting higher every year. yes we get work related retirement plans as we go along, but they are never enough for lifes real bills that get thrown at you when the income stops. If you have $5 grand in mutual funds working, then you can afford to lose that other $5 g. in high risk.

Take your monthly $100-$200, and add it to any profits you have cashed in on in high risk, and split that money evenly between those two investments. NEVER take money out of moderate risk to put into high risk. Only take money from high risk when it is higher in value then moderate risk. Letting high risk get more valuable the moderate risk is more risk, but with more payoff if things continue to go well.

Um but your not my kid, so do what the [email protected] you want.............:eek2:

from experience I speak:

Listen, one of the best investments you can put your money into would be a "ROTH IRA"

I would highly recommend you learn more about a roth ira. of all the benifits one of the first ones that comes to mind is that fact that you can withdraw money from it tax free! thats right! considering you have a big enough nestegg saved you would actually be doing better off then someone who won the lottery case in point... the lottery winner would be paying out the butt in taxs for all that money where as you having a roth ira would be free to take as much or as little out tax free. hell that beats savings bonds and cd's even if they had better intrest rates because of the fact you pay taxes on them!

~Mark

Hey guys, thanks for responding, but now I have a few questions for you regarding the answers..

1. What is a cd?

2. You said if the cd has gone over 10%, lock it until the next renewal...whats a renewal?

3. How do I get into these "no risk cd's"?

4. Does Wells Fargo have an officer that could help me?

I get everything else, but it would be nice to get a few more replies!

Put all your cash in a coffee can and bury it in my yard. LOL

Take your time and interview at least six but shoot for ten different advisors. Make sure they don't work for an investment company. Those guys tend to offer a much more limited range of instruments.

The independent guy works for you and only makes money if you do.

Ditto to what ExRoadie said. Get them to work for you. Find out what really works in the market.

If you have some money to spare (maybe $200 or so) and are willing to risk it without any hard feelings if you lose it, examine the commodities market. From personal experience, and a great deal of research (several months of analysing trends), you can make a pretty penny in a short time. Remember that everything in the investment market is a risk. You are not guaranteed to make money

As with just about anything you do in life, it is a risk. Make your choices based upon solid evidence, not upon hear-say.

You can also take some cash and buy gold and property. Neither has ever been worth zero. Also, God isn't making any more property so you're pretty set there.

You can also take some cash and buy gold and property. Neither has ever been worth zero. Also, God isn't making any more property so you're pretty set there.

I don't know, the Moon and Mars haven't been populated yet.... :tooth:

=answers

Hey guys, thanks for responding, but now I have a few questions for you regarding the answers..

1. What is a cd? A savings account at your local bank that offers higher intrest then there normal savings account. To get the higher rate, you have to give them the money for the term of the cd. 1yr,3yr, 5yr etc...

2. You said if the cd has gone over 10%, lock it until the next renewal...whats a renewal? At the end of the year you get a renewl notice on the cd. If you dont respond it usually locks in for another year.

3. How do I get into these "no risk cd's"? cd's are no risk, unless theres a run on the bank.

4. Does Wells Fargo have an officer that could help me? im sure. All agents that buy and sell stock for you reguardless of who they work for make a commision on the buying, and selling of stocks for the most part. They usually have deals that if you stay under there companies wing, and trade funds inside there domain, they wont charge u fee's for those, untill you outright sell or trade out of there domain. There are internet investing sites that will let you do the buying and selling for a seriously reduced fee, but this is in the high risk category. You dont know squat about stocks, and would be rolling the dice on what you buy. IF American Express was not making my money grow, i would not still be there is all im gonna say.

I get everything else, but it would be nice to get a few more replies!

Oh God no, not now....maybe last year would have been a good time, but its to late now. Best to wait till fed announces no more intrest rate hikes. By then the market will be past its all time high, and starting down the curve of worth. The worst is yet to come after this point, and recognizing when that downward curve in property value starts to level off again, is when there is good money to make. The cycle starts over. "Trend"

Real Estate is a good investment anytime thou. Yea its going to go down, but it always comes right back up. The cycle above i believe is going to be a phenomena, and not the norm.