ATI R520 only has 16 pipes?!?!?!

Rezag1000

And I couldn't care less if it had 2 pipelines as long as it beats the GeForce 7800 GTX :) But I suspect that 16 pipelines are enough for that purpose even though the chip itself has more, but deactivated ones, so ATI can react to Nvidia reacting to ATI reacting to Nvidia reacting to.... :nod:

yes, you guys all make good points. but, I have found rumors on the inq. to be well founded. They predicted Xbox 360 specs, 7800 GTX specs, and 7800 GT specs.

Also, true they may be 16 SUPER-PIPES, but still having 8 less pipes is nothing to scoff at.

It's also said on the net that it may be clocked at 700 Mhz core... and that would be a huge speed advantage over the 24 pipe 7800 GTX, so 16 pipes at 700 Mhz could indeed be better than the 24 pipes at 430 Mhz for the Geforce. In fact, it could be a LOT faster.

Oh, and I may add that we have a downclocked R520 at work and I haven't tested it, but my 3D-programming colleague said it's faster than the 7800GTX. Downclocked and with beta drivers. But I can't confirm that.

Oh, and I may add that we have a downclocked R520 at work and I haven't tested it, but my 3D-programming colleague said it's faster than the 7800GTX. Downclocked and with beta drivers. But I can't confirm that.

Please enlighten me how you have gotten a hold of hardware that still isnt in the hands of reviewers, nor is it officially announced. And then please tell me your interpretation of the acronym NDA.

Oh, I didn't disclose anything specifically nor did I confirm anything, did I? It's all hearsay. Are you complaining to The Inquirer, too?:) And also *I* don't have that hardware, but if I wanted to, I could have a look within minutes. Has it's advantages to work for a games developer, I had an X800Pro in my hands LONG before any X800 was out.

personally, I've got nothing against speculations and rumours... reason im into overclocking is as much what WILL be available in the future as what i can use today

in saying that though, i think the 16pipe 700-800Mhz claim sounds a bit pie-in-the-sky... in the new age of higher parallelism and lower power requirements it seems out of place