CPU not detected by board?

I'm now taking back my excitement.

The problem is now related specifically to DIMM spots 3+4 (the two slots closest to the CPU). Whenever a stick is in either of these, the system never gets past the "cpu detected" led. Having 2 sticks in spots 1+2 work fine. I tried each stick to make sure they were all working. All 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline XP PC4000 worked fine, but only when in DIMM spots 1+2. I loaded the 720 bios with optimised defaults.

Is this now a mobo problem?

Thank you.

Just use slots 1&2 for your RAM. It's not a problem, it's a feature! lol

Seriously, just use the RAM where it works. I have some rigs configured in the Yellow slots and others in the Orange. Once I find where I get the best stable performance I leave it there.

I'm now taking back my excitement.

The problem is now related specifically to DIMM spots 3+4 (the two slots closest to the CPU). Whenever a stick is in either of these, the system never gets past the "cpu detected" led. Having 2 sticks in spots 1+2 work fine. I tried each stick to make sure they were all working. All 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline XP PC4000 worked fine, but only when in DIMM spots 1+2. I loaded the 720 bios with optimised defaults.

Is this now a mobo problem?

Thank you.

You really should be clearing CMOS between RAM slot moves.

Just for clarity, here's the way to read the Diag LEDs...

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.