Random crash, freeze, BSOD

I don't believe you need 480W of power to run my system. Period. Can an engineer come and explain me how it would be otherwise? Nobody? That's what I thought.

By the way, can anybody point me either on the box or on the manual of the mobo that DFI REQUIRES (not even recommends) a branded ATX 2.0 480W power supply in order to even start to think about providing customer support?

For Worm, I don't include you in it. Just from my experience with computers, when you have a freshly installed system, whose all components except one have proven to work and you get unstability in various working conditions with various error messages, it's most likely a hardware problem. And whatever you say now and I know you were genuinely trying to help, changing the mobo solved the problem.

Anyway, I'm done with DFI. I don't like the customer service, I'm going elsewhere and everybody is happy.

The actual PSU requirements are on page #16 of the printed manual and to be fair, it does state there that a minimum 400W is highly recommended.

As for your 7800GTX, that will draw around 285W at full load conditions leaving very little over for other components if all you've got is a 380W unit.

EDIT: By the way, which board did you replace it with?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For rldolph79:

I think there's a slight difference between "strongly recommend" and 'require". One is a suggestion, the other a mandatory condition. I don't contest the fact that DFI thinks that what you need, even if I disagree on the you "need" part. I contest being denied support I paid for based on not complying with undocumented mandatory requirement largely above the ones of the rest of the industry (and I insist on "mandatory").

For Worm:

I think you should check your power figure. No power supply delivers 285W on a single 12V rail. That would be more than 23A. Even a 550W PSU won't have this kind of output. And how could a dual-core SLI setup work? That would be 2x285W+2x65W=700W at the least, just on the 12V. The figures I've read were around 110W for this video card.

i'm running a generic 400W with no problems. I had no problems installing XP, but then I switched to 2K pro and had multiple BSOD's including driver lot less or equal and paged file in unpaged area. I used the manufacturers program to write 0's to the whold drive and have had no problems since then.

For rldolph79:

I contest being denied support I paid for based on not complying with undocumented mandatory requirement largely above the ones of the rest of the industry.

Obviously you failed to read the forum rules... Here's a quote:

"DFI Techs are here to assist users BY THEIR OWN CHOICE. Other users are here to share their experience and knowledge in a community setting. Please be civil to everyone, follow the rules we have set, and remember that we created this place to help you, the DFI owner."

So quit your bitching.

I can understand you guys prefer to remove the possibility of a underpowered PSU when it comes to this kind of problem but this whole PSU thing is somewhat ridiculous.

I have used my Ultra-D with a 300watts 20pins 12v/15A for a month trouble free. Does not mean everyone should do that but saying "go buy a 480watts PSU" to everyone with a problem ain't that bright either.

Anyone ever explained why these motherboards would require more power than any other brand with the same chipset? I'd like to know.

I have used my Ultra-D with a 300watts 20pins 12v/15A for a month trouble free. Does not mean everyone should do that but saying "go buy a 480watts PSU" to everyone with a problem ain't that bright either.

You should read some of the other posts on here where people have fried not only there PSU and motherboard, but their video card and ram as well. I'm not a DFI engineer, but if I had people consistently having problems, and a higher powered PSU solved them, I'd start recommending them too. Feel free to keep using 300w PSU, but if you fry everything, you may start not feeling too bright yourself.

For rldolph79:

I e-mailed the tech support from DFI's website to ask for help in addition to posting on the forum. The reply I got is: they don't provide support if you don't have a 480W PSU. They didn't even read my e-mail to exclude something else first, just checked my config list and e-mailed me back to deny tech support. And sent me spend another $100 on parts. Read again: they don't provide support. This has nothing to do with the forum rules. This is their tech support policy.

You should read some of the other posts on here where people have fried not only there PSU and motherboard, but their video card and ram as well. I'm not a DFI engineer, but if I had people consistently having problems, and a higher powered PSU solved them, I'd start recommending them too. Feel free to keep using 300w PSU, but if you fry everything, you may start not feeling too bright yourself.

That was while waiting for my case to arrive. See sig for update on PSU.

You will find this is the same for all manufactures Abit,Asus and Gigabyte. If you do not meet there same requirements there tech support will tell you the same thing DFI did. As for the change of motherboards I will quote angry_games

Who has said DFI would rather you be happy with a competitions motherboard then an upset DFI owner

You will find this is the same for all manufactures Abit,Asus and Gigabyte. If you do not meet there same requirements there tech support will tell you the same thing DFI did.

If you consider that not supporting customers and sending them to the competition is a good business practise, then, I've nothing else to say. The stock holders might on the other hand.

As for Abit and Asus, I went to their forum and looked for the "480W PSU or nothing" posts. I haven't found any. I dealt with Foxconn tech support, they were courteous and tried to help and answer questions. So don't say all companies are like DFI, because that's not true.

By the way, I've checked what was the peak power consumption of my system. The figure I've found is less than 300W:

A64 3500+=65W

Geforce 7800 GTX=110W

MoBo/Heatsink/Keyboard/Mouse/FDD=36W

RAM=20W

HDD=25W

DVD burner=25W

Sound card=7W

WiFi card=5W (?)

80mm fan=2W

Total=295W

Some data are from: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Po...tor.php?cmd=AMD and the one not available there, I looked them up myself.