Random crash, freeze, BSOD

So, here is the follow-up and end of the story. I went to buy a new power supply on friday evening, an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W. I installed the thing in the tower, plugged everything and fired up. Checked Prime95, same thing: crash after 1 min (torture test, blend mode). Tried to play WoW during the rest of the evening: got 1 freeze and one BSOD. I said to myself I spent too much time with this P.O.S.

The mobo and the new PS went back to the store on saturday morning. I bought another mobo with the refund (I won't tell what brand/model, I'm not here to advertise, but it was in the same price range than the DFI). Built the rig AGAIN. And tried. No problems. At all. Works just fine out of the box. And with my underrated, overcharged Truepower II 380W.

Now, it's what I think. The mobo I had was just faulty and needed to be replaced. But I don't like to be taken for an idiot. You (on this forum and the tech support) told me that I needed an ATX 2.0 480W power supply. Not only it didn't work, but I don't believe that it was even necessary. I'd like to see one of the engineers that came with those lucridious requirements come here and explain me how in hell my system can withdraw more than the 360W my PS is rated for under continuous load. Really. Unless DFI nF4 mobo have some huge power requirement compared to the competition. The same exact system worked fine with another nF4 mobo without the super-duper 480W PS, and it's again working fine on a third mobo, still without the super-duper 480W PS.

Well, I hope you don't include me in that statement ("You") since I never recommend anyone to go changing parts until they've eliminated the problem as a software issue. You appeared to have ignored my recommendations as mentioned here and in that respect, perhaps you've only got yourself to blame if you've started changing parts as a means of troubleshooting.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't take you for an idiot until you started flaming against everyone who was trying to help you. You can take what you want from it, but if DFI says 480w that's a rule you choose not to follow at your own peril. I hope your new board works out for you and I'm glad I don't have to put up with your flaming any more. As my grandma always said...good riddance to bad rubbish.

I don't believe you need 480W of power to run my system. Period. Can an engineer come and explain me how it would be otherwise? Nobody? That's what I thought.

By the way, can anybody point me either on the box or on the manual of the mobo that DFI REQUIRES (not even recommends) a branded ATX 2.0 480W power supply in order to even start to think about providing customer support?

For Worm, I don't include you in it. Just from my experience with computers, when you have a freshly installed system, whose all components except one have proven to work and you get unstability in various working conditions with various error messages, it's most likely a hardware problem. And whatever you say now and I know you were genuinely trying to help, changing the mobo solved the problem.

Anyway, I'm done with DFI. I don't like the customer service, I'm going elsewhere and everybody is happy.

I don't believe you need 480W of power to run my system. Period. Can an engineer come and explain me how it would be otherwise? Nobody? That's what I thought.

By the way, can anybody point me either on the box or on the manual of the mobo that DFI REQUIRES (not even recommends) a branded ATX 2.0 480W power supply in order to even start to think about providing customer support?

For Worm, I don't include you in it. Just from my experience with computers, when you have a freshly installed system, whose all components except one have proven to work and you get unstability in various working conditions with various error messages, it's most likely a hardware problem. And whatever you say now and I know you were genuinely trying to help, changing the mobo solved the problem.

Anyway, I'm done with DFI. I don't like the customer service, I'm going elsewhere and everybody is happy.

the mobo req a 24 pin psu 480 for a reason, you dont come into the form insulting the engineers. you may not think u need that psu, but you do.

480watts 24pin is the req of the board it aint bs. also it has to have the req railings bad railings will give you prolbmes too. railings that dont give the req voltage.

the mobo aint a bad mobo it just you need to use a good psu for it. you should had came here for psus advice.

the book does says you need a psu with atleast 480watts atx 2.0 and you need more for SLI. so you needed a 2.0 24pin psu. cuz there are 20 pin atx 2.0s also.

do not use 20 to 24 pin psu convertors they dont always wortk.

Theres something you is not doing right. the eng told you right when they told u to go to a ATX 2.0 480watt psu with 24pins. the extra 4 pins on the mobo is there for a reason.

they dont put uneed plugs on the mobo for no reason. the Engineers did a great job with helping you.

What do you know about that? The only thing the tech support said is : get another PS, we're not supporting people without that. Otherwise, get lost. Is that good tech support?

My power supply is an Antec Truepower II ATX 2.0 with a real 24 pin connector, with dual 12V rails giving 16A each, max combined is 28A. Above nVidia requirement.

One rail is for the CPU, that's 62W or about 5A. The other one feeds the GC, 110W full load or 9A. So you're telling me that ONE HDD and ONE DVD burner will suck 84W?

That's what I'm disagreeing about. My system is pretty light, except for the CG, but again, it's not a SLI setup.

On top of that, that doesn't allow the tech support to be mean in their reply. They're paid for that, by the money customers spend buying their products. Being courteous is the minimum I expect. Plus, it's not said anywhere outside of this forum that DFI requires a ATX 2.0 480W power supply in order to simply provide tech support (and not garanteeing it will solve your problems).

I don't think this model of mobo is bad. I probably had a defective one and I asked for help after 2 weeks of problems. Didn't get any from DFI. Instead, got treated like I'm stupid not to know things they're the only company requiring and sent waste more time and money.

I have another mobo, that worked fine out of the box, without tweaking and messing.

And again, where are the engineers that came with that? I want explanations, not blunt statements.

Those are the required specifications. NO company has to support their products if a user fails to follow instructions or requirements for using the product. Ford does not have to follow through on their warranty if the consumer does not follow the warranty. If you, say, don't change the oil, and your engine blows up, Ford isn't liable for that. Neither is DFI.

If you look at the bias, yes, this will be a pro-DFI board, because it's frequented by pro-DFI users. While I can say your situation sucks, I will also say that DFI is not responsible for hardware issues related to you not sticking to their requirements. The engineers in Taiwan made the board with certain requirements based on the target market. Yes, some people have been able to use a power supply below the specifications, but more often than not, people have problems. Thats why I chose to invest in my Enermax power supply. I wanted to start off with good parts so as to get off on the right foot. I've been rewarded with a solid system. Why? I followed directions.

Again, where are those requirements stated outside of the forum?

It's not on the box, it's not in the manual.

I've been told about those requirements after I asked for help...

And again, if the engineers said so, how did they come with it? How come no other MB manufacturer is asking for them?

Anyway, keep your head stuck in the sand and follow blindly what look like a way to cut customer service cost by fixing over-the-top arbitrary minimum specs.

Unless that's part of some l33t culture that I'm missing ("Come on man, be real! You need 600W to run a single core single CPU single HDD single optical drive single GC setup. At least!")

Edit: Asus website has a power comsuption table. Their engineers give a required wattage of 350W for an A64 3500+/2x6600GT setup! They must be very irresponsible. All those systems not working or fried.

Never claimed to be an engineer...just offering advice based on what I have seen work for numerous other people. As for the question about the manual...you're pushing 30, so you should know by now that all stuff like that is "subject to change". Well, it has changed, and thanks to the engineers that you like to insult, you now know what the requirements are. There's no point in questioning them, that's what they are. Now...didn't you say you were going somewhere...?

I still have to see a doubtful claim being substantiated by facts...

Refusing support to a legitimate customer based on the fact that the customer is not complying with lucridious requirements that are not openly stated, I don't see how this is being a good customer support rep, or a good engineer, or a good marketing policy.

Anyway, I'm leaving you between yourselves, so you can keep talking about the lack of nuclear power plants to power your 2GW power supplies...

Bye and thanks for nothing (except for Addiarmadar, Worm and none other)

The Admin's get their info straight from Taiwan. As far as them being slow, I've seen worse (try Asus). As for the power supply requirements, they do specifically state (although you have to look), that a 24-pin (native) PSU is more or less required. Last time I checked, most PSU's with the native 24-pin were okay'd by DFI.

I've been looking around, and I'm seeing other boards from Epox and Abit with users running similar power supplies to what DFI is recommending. If you've followed the A64 movement, you may have noticed that at least a 400W or better PSU has been an unsaid requirement. I don't know what the deal is with the PSU issue being a supposed DFI only as it seems to be requiring what's in-line for a lot of companies. It seems like a lot of people who blame DFI are running into problems because they didn't do their research. I've seen it here, I've seen it at PC Perspective, I've seen it at [H]ard|Forum...the two most common hardware mistakes are getting an insufficient PSU and/or cheap-o ram. I'm open to the possibility you got a bad board. I'm not buying that you know more about the product that DFI's engineers.

Excerpt from DFI's manual:

"The system board requires a minimum of 300 Watt power supply

to operate. Your system configuration (CPU power, amount of

memory, add-in cards, peripherals, etc.) may exceed the minimum

power requirement. To ensure that adequate power is provided, we

strongly recommend that you use a minimum of 400 Watt (or

greater) power supply." And then they provide the exact same chart found on Asus website (see my post earlier). They strongly recommend a 400W PSU, not require a 480W PSU in their own manual

So now, why did they refuse customer support already? Because I was not aware of requirements that are different from what their manual states? Is this good or even fair business practises?

As for the board, changing the PSU to a 500W didn't help. Changing the board fixed the problem. 'nuf said. And I always used a 24 pins PSU on this board by the way.