Sign in to follow this  
Spammerman

Constant game crashes

The RAID with my DFI board is really starting to give me the red butt. I solve one problem and another one pops up.

I got the previous issue with the downloads corrupting. (I forgot to install the Marvell Lan drivers, meh.)

But now, I got a new one. Every 3D game I play crashes within a few minutes of playing. Often times, it won't even last a minute.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, using older drivers, no effect. I'm currently using the recent crop of Nvidia's Nforce drivers and ATI's Cats.

My Bios is set to default settings, nothing's overclocked at all. The hardware is all fine. Memtest showed no problem with the RAM and the hard drives all tested ok.

So, what the hell could be causing everything to crash out on me?

I'm open to any suggestions to try.

I've noticed that the Marvell controller uses the same IRQ (IRQ18) as the video card and although it's supposed to be OK to share higher IRQs, if at all possible, you should try and dedicate one to the graphics card.

Unfortunately, you can't reassign IRQs in Windows XP without creating your own HAL (Hardware Extraction Layer) and that's a task I don't recommend to anybody. So you're only option here is to use the nVidia network controller instead. You don't really want to be using the Marvell controller anyway because it runs via the PCI bus, something you really want to avoid when gaming.

In addition, you have the advantage of a hardware firewall on the nVidia network interface which uses hardly any resources. A software firewall on the other hand can use up to 30% of system resources.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to use the nVidia network interface?

I'd like to use th NVidia port on my Ultra D but I can't install the drivers for it, as described in my other post. I get this error

An error occured during the installation of the device.

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.

Any ideas?

when you say crash, do you mean completely freezes and then your monitor light goes dim, like it lost singnal? because that's been happening to me..and I don't know what the hell is causing it. I'm hoping a better power supply will fix it.. but I'm kinda doubting it. IT all startedfor me when I tried to use video out

I'd like to use th NVidia port on my Ultra D but I can't install the drivers for it, as described in my other post. I get this error

An error occured during the installation of the device.

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.

Any ideas?

That one's explained here You can resolve it by following instructions here

Another thought that occurred to me is that you've got your X800 XL installed in the second PCI-e slot(?) If that's the case, then it's only running at 2x bandwidth. The first slot runs at 16x bandwidth. I know it's a tight fit and the edge of the card sits right on top of the chipset fan, but there's no need to worry about that aspect of it since it's been catered for in the design.

I've been using this hardware configuration (minus the RAID) for some time with Windows X64, and games ran perfectly fine.

It's only been the new install with the RAID and Windows XP 32-bit that's been crashing constantly.

Anyone know how to set Windows xp so that it shows the BSOD insead of just automatically rebooting? That happens sometimes, and I think it might give me a clue as to what the problem is.

And my RAM's fine, I tested it when I first put it in.

I've been using this hardware configuration (minus the RAID) for some time with Windows X64, and games ran perfectly fine.

It's only been the new install with the RAID and Windows XP 32-bit that's been crashing constantly.

Anyone know how to set Windows xp so that it shows the BSOD insead of just automatically rebooting? That happens sometimes, and I think it might give me a clue as to what the problem is.

And my RAM's fine, I tested it when I first put it in.

How much juice are you feeding the CPU and ram?

Hit Windows logo key + Pause/Break to bring up System Properties. Click the "Advanced" tab, then in the "Startup & Recovery" menu, click the "Settings" button and uncheck the option "Automatically Restart".

Hello,

Set the memory voltage to 2.8v.

Make sure that all 4 power connectors are plugged into the board,

- Floppy one under the CPU socket

- Hard drive one on top the chipset cooler

- 24pin ATX connector

- 4pin +12v P4 connector

Then reinstall windows. (do not do a repair)

Once windows has been installed, install SP2 if it is not slipstreamed to your XP CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Then install the nvidia chipset drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_wi...2_amd_6.66.html

- Do not install the IDE drivers

- Do not install the firewall, network access manager

Then restart and install the ATi gfx drivers.

http://dlmdownloads.ati.com.edgesuite.net/...m_enu_25203.exe

Then restart

- Then Disable DEP.

Right mouse on my computer >Properties

Advanced TAB

Startup and recovery settings >Settings

EDIT

Look at the last line

.../noexecute=optin...

change the word optin to alwaysoff

.../noexecute=alwaysoff...

Then save the file >OK, and restart the PC

Now what happens?

Thanks Sharp, increasing my DRAM voltage from 2.6v to 2.8v seems to have fixed the crashing problem. It's amazing how a tiny little tweak can make such a huge differance.