Very Worried - Need some Encouragement

Method

Well I guess I'm going with DFI. Thanks guys.

When i built my first rig i had no idea what the hell i was doing, that year trying to figure it all out i learned so much... I realised that was the best part about any of this crap... Now i spend countless amounts of free time just reading other peoples post and learning about the different problems one can encounter with the nf4 board, and how to fix the issue... So when i can afford to get my new rig built (which is taking way to long) ill be ready :nod: l

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. (concrapious I think)

Nothing ventured nothing ganied. (hrmm, unknown who to attribut that to)

Go for it, It is a lot of stuff to absorb at first, but it soon becomes routine.

I have dabbled in PC's for years and it was a learning experience for me.

Jump in both feet first and never look back.

Support here is on a level you will not find anywhere else.

You cant go wrong with the great pool of knowledge you can draw on here.

Just read and read and read and oh by the way read.

Gl.

Yeah it will be. By save yourself some dough I meant save some for yourself by buying the cheaper 3000+.

Sorry for not understanding but I'm used to people recommending things higher in price than what I say, never lower.

When i built my first rig i had no idea what the hell i was doing, that year trying to figure it all out i learned so much... I realised that was the best part about any of this crap...

This is my exact goal.

To everyone that has posted in this thread:

You guys are my heroes :)

I honestly dont have enough experience with that board to give an opinion, but im sure theres alot of guys here that can help you out... I thought it would be a good idea to post your specs for people to see before you go out an buy something thats not compatible... Like corsair ram or a Ultra x-connect 500watt psu etc..

Specs look great except for two things:

R520- The card isn't out yet. Are you waiting to build your system for this one component?

Windows Vista- This OS isn't out yet either. (that I'm aware of...) Just do yourself a favor and buy a copy of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. It is less buggy then the x64 edition OS's, and it'll be around for a while.

Other then those, go for it!

Possible suggestions:

-If you want high end graphics, just get the NVidia 7800GTX, unless you are an ATI fanboi.

-Get Windows XP Pro/w SP2

-Also, what case do you plan on getting? (pure curiosity, cases are a personal choice)

i do not suggest wimpy cpu's with wimpy multipliers like the 3000+

sure a few guys can hit 2700Mhz with them, but they are stuck with a 9x cpu multiplier, which can be crippling

I advocate a San Diego 3700+ (at newegg it is a good price, as well as a combo deal with a PNY 7800GT or 7800GTX) which has an 11x multiplier, and 1MB L2 cache, and is a fantastic cpu.

If you are really into wanting to learn and using a DFI board to clock like crazy, don't sell yourself short with a puny cpu (but notice I don't recommend a top-dollar FX or X2...the 3700 San Diego is the best bang for the buck at the moment). It looks like you are wanting all really good hardware...so don't stick yourself with a rusty sword by getting a 3000+ or anything with less than an 11x multipler.

11x multipliers give you a hell of a lot more overclock options...and you can begin at 11x (ie 250x11 = 2750Mhz) and go down from there.

250x11 on a cpu is a hell of a lot easier than 275x10 to get 2750Mhz, and 306x9 is really not a realistic situation for any but the best overclockers (remember, you can see dudes show you 335x9 all day long...but they are only stable about .05% of the time...suicide screens are something we don't approve of, we educate you on learning stability, even if it means you only get 2690Mhz and not the 2900Mhz you were wishing for...)

R520- The card isn't out yet. Are you waiting to build your system for this one component?

Windows Vista- This OS isn't out yet either. (that I'm aware of...) Just do yourself a favor and buy a copy of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. It is less buggy then the x64 edition OS's, and it'll be around for a while.

Other then those, go for it!

Possible suggestions:

-If you want high end graphics, just get the NVidia 7800GTX, unless you are an ATI fanboi.

-Get Windows XP Pro/w SP2

-Also, what case do you plan on getting? (pure curiosity, cases are a personal choice)

Nah I'm not waiting for the R520, but by the time iy comes out I will be closer to building my computer than I'am now.

Yea you are right, I can't wait for Vista it's too far off;sometime in 2006.

And as for the case your kinda catching me off guard :cool: Haven't looked into it too much cuz its not that important to me. Any suggestions about the case are welcome,what case do you have?

i do not suggest wimpy cpu's with wimpy multipliers like the 3000+

sure a few guys can hit 2700Mhz with them, but they are stuck with a 9x cpu multiplier, which can be crippling

I advocate a San Diego 3700+ (at newegg it is a good price, as well as a combo deal with a PNY 7800GT or 7800GTX) which has an 11x multiplier, and 1MB L2 cache, and is a fantastic cpu.

If you are really into wanting to learn and using a DFI board to clock like crazy, don't sell yourself short with a puny cpu (but notice I don't recommend a top-dollar FX or X2...the 3700 San Diego is the best bang for the buck at the moment). It looks like you are wanting all really good hardware...so don't stick yourself with a rusty sword by getting a 3000+ or anything with less than an 11x multipler.

11x multipliers give you a hell of a lot more overclock options...and you can begin at 11x (ie 250x11 = 2750Mhz) and go down from there.

250x11 on a cpu is a hell of a lot easier than 275x10 to get 2750Mhz, and 306x9 is really not a realistic situation for any but the best overclockers (remember, you can see dudes show you 335x9 all day long...but they are only stable about .05% of the time...suicide screens are something we don't approve of, we educate you on learning stability, even if it means you only get 2690Mhz and not the 2900Mhz you were wishing for...)

I'm taking this advice straight to heart. Thank you for this, and thanks to everyone for their commentary.

What's your position on the X2 processor? How long until games take advantage of dual processors? If this ever happens is there going to be that much of an improvement to where you are glad you bought a X2 over a higher performing FX?