battle.net profile links don't work

Gessfk

Hi, I've kinda got a really specific problem, that I know is a long shot to get answered..but I figured I'd might as well give it a try.

So when I'm playing Starcraft, and on battle.net, whenever I click on a URL in someone's profile, it doesn't open IE and go to the page. Sometimes it will actually open IE, and not go to the site, or sometimes it will take like 2 minutes to go. This never happened on my old computer, and I figure there might be some weird occurance happening with my new comp hardware. I'm wondering if it isn't caused by apache.exe or whatever, that comes with the nforce4. Anyway, maybe someone has had this prob and fixed it. '9hopefully)

It could be due to Winsock corruption. You can check the file by running netdiags. To do that, you'll need to install the Win XP support tools first of all. To perform that particular task, insert the Windows XP CD and from the menu, choose "Perform Additional Tasks", then "Browse CD". Browse to the Support --> Tools folder and then run the setup.exe that you'll find in there. Follows the prompts until you reach the "Select An Installation Type" screen. Checkmark the option "Complete" and then click "Next".

After the installation completes, eject the CD and then go to Start --> Run, type CMD and click OK to launch the command prompt.

Type: netdiag /test:winsock /v >netdiags.txt and hit Enter ("/test:winsock" is written as one word by the way). You'll be taken back to the command prompt without anything appearing on screen. Exit the command prompt and then either navigate to the My Documents folder, or hit Windows logo key + F to launch the Search tool, choose the option "All Files & Folders" and then do a search for netdiags.txt. Open that and check for any errors that may be listed. It also lists what Hotfixes you've got installed. If you don't see any Hotfixes listed, then you need to go to the Windows Update site and install those. At the time of writing, there were 24 available.

If you would rather read the info in the command prompt window, skip the ">netdiags.txt" syntax in the above command.

Even if netdiag.exe doesn't show any errors and provided you've got SP2 installed, you can still reset the Winsock file by running this command from the command prompt: netsh winsock reset. After you run it, check your firewall to make sure it's still active i.e. logging events. I tend to make doubly sure by going to PCflank.com and running the "Quick Test" that you'll find there. After running that, exit, open the firewall log and look for Source: IP 195.131.4.164 in the Blocked Port list which is the origin of the test files.

I probably do..but I don't know how to check if it's running or not.. it's in my start menu though, firewall, firewall tray..but nothing in the tray like it's running

You can check if the nvidia firewall is running or not by going to Control Panel --> Security Center. You'll see "Firewall" at the top of the list. If you click the down arrow next to the title, it will say "NVIDIA firewall is currently ON" (if it is enabled).