Sign in to follow this  
mbetea

6800gt in 2nd slot no go?

Yes, I don't have the SLI version, you can still run a single video card in the 2nd slot. And switching the "SLI jumpers" gives the 2nd slot x8 bandwidth, yes even on the Ultra version.

No it doesn't. that's why you're getting this error:

Howdy,

Recently I tried to put my eVGA 6800gt in the 2nd x16 pcie slot. I switched the SLI jumpers and cleared CMOS. All I get on boot up is a long beep followed by 2-3 short beeps. matt

Page #19 of the printed manual for further info.

Yes, I don't have the SLI version, you can still run a single video card in the 2nd slot. And switching the "SLI jumpers" gives the 2nd slot x8 bandwidth, yes even on the Ultra version.

Page #19 of the printed manual for further info.

mbetea is 100% correct, what he's saying is how my Ultra-D works.

-pickles

A 120mm front fan isn't enough anymore?

Is that to me? I wasn't aware I was OCing or had a pair of 6800gt's :)

Temps I don't think are outrageous. CPU when idle/browsing/etc is around 32-34C (w/out C&Q) and load the highest I've seen it go is 44C. Chipset idles around 45-47C and goes up to 54C. My biggest concern is the 6800gt, idles around 54C and goes up to mid to upper 60's during gaming. I hooked up a 92mm fan and had it stand on the bottom of the case to blow cooler air across the hsf of the video card. Even that only changed temps by a few degrees.

The problem with the 120mm front fan on the Sonata is that it really doesn't draw in much fresh air. I have placed a 120 on the side panel, and it dropped my case temps almost 15*C!!! It mad ALL the difference in the world. I just wish I had place it a bit higher so it would hit the PWMIC area more, but it works fine for what it was intended. I'm going to test wheter the fron-mounted fan even makes a difference in this situation. If not, I'll deep-6 that fan to open a bit more room.

That's why in my 3rd post in the thread I wrote:
Ha, that is pretty weird. Changed the jumpers and card around yesterday and it booted up first time. Unfortunately I didn't see any change in temps, actually they were worse.
And if you look in display properties, the nvidia driver shows what bus the card is on, with the jumpers moved it shows x8.
yes only 1 120mm fan is not enough

me myself have 2 x 120mm fans and 1x80mm fans for inlet and 2x120mm fans for outlet

Been kind of figuring that and have been looking around for different cases but there just seems to be nothing out there. If it's not some huge full tower it's some crazy looking thing with lights, ornaments and windows all over the place.

I do have a Chenbro SR10769. The cooling would be plenty it's just the damn case is 25"-26" deep!

My understanding of the principle of SLi is this. In order to divide the bandwidth equally between both cards, you switch the jumpers accordingly. The BIOS subsequently detects the change and after verifying that both slots are occupied, configures both graphic cards to work in unison by dividing the 16x bandwidth available from the first slot equally to both cards i.e. 2x 8x.

However, if you change the jumpers without inserting a card in the PCIE #1 slot, then you'll get an error because they BIOS won't recognize that setup.

If you think it works differently, then I'd be interested to know where your obtained your information from since it doesn't appear on any DFI documentation as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: I see there's an article over at Anandtech on how to morph the Ultra version of the board, but it seems to require some physical changes to the CPU.

I do not know if it unique to DFI's boards or what, but the LP UT Ultra-D has a feature called "Dual Xpress Graphics". Which means you can install 2 graphics cards and have them run independently of eachother. Moving the jumpers (yes even on the Ultra-D) provides more bandwidth to the 2nd slot. Moving the jumpers doesn't mean you have to run your video card(s) in SLI mode. Logic tells me then if you can put a video card in the 2nd slot while there is a card in the first slot, you can put a card in the 2nd slot without a card in the first slot. You can also do a search on the forums and see many people posting about using the 2nd slot on the Ultra-D with moving the jumpers.

I do know this to be a fact because if you read my previous post when I reported back, you would see that it worked fine. And you can even see what bus it's operating on by going into the Nvidia control panel in display properties where it lists the driver version, bios version, etc.

Just to fill you in though, I already posted about the problem I was having, got advice and got it to work already. No disrespect, but I don't know what you keep arguing about :)

I do not know if it unique to DFI's boards or what, but the LP UT Ultra-D has a feature called "Dual Xpress Graphics". Which means you can install 2 graphics cards and have them run independently of eachother. Moving the jumpers (yes even on the Ultra-D) provides more bandwidth to the 2nd slot. Moving the jumpers doesn't mean you have to run your video card(s) in SLI mode. Logic tells me then if you can put a video card in the 2nd slot while there is a card in the first slot, you can put a card in the 2nd slot without a card in the first slot. You can also do a search on the forums and see many people posting about using the 2nd slot on the Ultra-D with moving the jumpers.

I do know this to be a fact because if you read my previous post when I reported back, you would see that it worked fine. And you can even see what bus it's operating on by going into the Nvidia control panel in display properties where it lists the driver version, bios version, etc.

Just to fill you in though, I already posted about the problem I was having, got advice and got it to work already. No disrespect, but I don't know what you keep arguing about :)

Well, I stand to correction on the subject of course, but reading DFI's Press Release, it would seem to me that you still need a dual card setup for the Xpress configuration you mentioned. In addition, it also states that each card works in its default configuration i.e. 1x 16x and 1x 2x rather than in a true SLi setup whereby both cards work at two times 8x.

As for many users switching jumpers on their board, two (or more) wrongs don't make a right and I've yet to see any official documentation that clearly states that such a setup i.e. switching 8x support to the secondary PCIE #4 is supported. ;)

As for many users switching jumpers on their board, two (or more) wrongs don't make a right and I've yet to see any official documentation that clearly states that such a setup i.e. switching 8x support to the secondary PCIE #4 is supported. ;)
Documentation? We don't need no steenkin documentation. ;)

-pickles

does anyone else have any links to these threads with peeps using the 2nd pcie slot for the gfx with 8x and nothing in the 1st slot...

ive just put my 6800gt in my ultra d and the northbridge temps shot from 43 degs load up to 52 degs load.. and the fans up at 7000 rpm now, more than annoying.

i was hoping to move mine down a slot and just use it on the 8x bus (i cant say ive seen any benchies so far but i cant see it damaging performance that much??)

thanks.

Documentation? We don't need no steenkin documentation. ;)

-pickles

lol, thats what i was thinking :) it does work, thats all i know.

btw matea, the only time i saw it really help my temps was with my 7800gtx and the stock cooler. moving that down helped a bunch.

my 6800gt with zalman vf700, the move down was worse.