Boot problem, hangs up on bootsplash screen

i reboot mine cause i was getting memory read/write errors on WoW, usually attributed to overclocking. my ram was only slightly overclocked at the time, and it had been like that for months. i downclock to default and this happens.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i reboot mine cause i was getting memory read/write errors on WoW, usually attributed to overclocking. my ram was only slightly overclocked at the time, and it had been like that for months. i downclock to default and this happens.

I was Oced to 2.75Ghz 72Hrs Prime95 stable with 24 of memtest. I ran 3dmark 03 and 05 on my system and everything was green.

I forced the shut down to reboot and this happens :sad:

Similar thing happened to me. I was thinking it was related to connecting a SATA hard drive.

I have a new "recommended" (OCZ 520) power supply coming to see if that fixes the problem. For me it required clearing cmos, letting reboot, but not going into bios, letting boot, getting the bios checksum error, then F1 to continue to boot. Let windows crash (not enough ram voltage). Get into bios add ram voltage, try to boot. If it hung at bios screen, start process over. When I was able to disable logo and it hung. It would hang before detecting drives. The drive lights would come on but would do nothing.

The only thing that let me get past bios screen was... go past bios on first reboot after CMOS clear. I would get some cmos checksum error that required an f1 to continue. Continue on to windows. If I did anything else first, I would get hang at logo as soon as I made any changes to bios.

I noticed by 12 v rail at 11.87, where my 3.3 and 5 v rails were all above voltage as reported by Motherboard.

After going through about 20 reboots and adding pieces back to the bios, I get back to my normal rock solid setup. After getting back to final settings. I can go tweak bios and make any change, boot, reboot, no issue. It may just have to do with time. It may be a capacitor that needed to discharge or something.

I realize my P/S may be weak, but it ran this thing rock stable at posted settings with 2 pata drives, and 5 case fans. It wasn't until I tried to connect SATA drive that the drama occured.

Edit. Update. New Power Supply does nothing for the problem. I still have to the cmos clear, then by pass the bios update at least once before I can go in and get the bios to accept changes. I have managed to get back to all but an overclock at 4 reboots. Time to try the SATA drive again.

Similar thing happened to me. I was thinking it was related to connecting a SATA hard drive.

I have a new "recommended" (OCZ 520) power supply coming to see if that fixes the problem. For me it required clearing cmos, letting reboot, but not going into bios, letting boot, getting the bios checksum error, then F1 to continue to boot. Let windows crash (not enough ram voltage). Get into bios add ram voltage, try to boot. If it hung at bios screen, start process over. When I was able to disable logo and it hung. It would hang before detecting drives. The drive lights would come on but would do nothing.

The only thing that let me get past bios screen was... go past bios on first reboot after CMOS clear. I would get some cmos checksum error that required an f1 to continue. Continue on to windows. If I did anything else first, I would get hang at logo as soon as I made any changes to bios.

I noticed by 12 v rail at 11.87, where my 3.3 and 5 v rails were all above voltage as reported by Motherboard.

After going through about 20 reboots and adding pieces back to the bios, I get back to my normal rock solid setup. After getting back to final settings. I can go tweak bios and make any change, boot, reboot, no issue. It may just have to do with time. It may be a capacitor that needed to discharge or something.

I realize my P/S may be weak, but it ran this thing rock stable at posted settings with 2 pata drives, and 5 case fans. It wasn't until I tried to connect SATA drive that the drama occured.

Since we are getting the same issue I would say that it is not a power issue.

On my system I have the PC power and Cooling 850SSI. I got plenty of juice for my rig.

and i don't, so i can rule that one out.

if you ever make it to POST, do you get this message right above "F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup"?

CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded

mine says reset CPU frequency after a CMOS reset. I just press f1 to load defaults.

if i press F1 i get a "monitor out of scan range",not that it matters, because even when i didnt get that i would just get a black screen.

I don't know about you but I think this is how a PC flips off someone :(

I still can;t get this thing to work...alright I will take it out and get it prepped for RMA since I don't have a choice.

I thought 1 led meant that it had detected the vid card and 0 leds meant that it had booted into the OS.

Yes, you're correct. Apologies for my error there.

So in your particular case, the problem is that although the system is able to hand over the bootstrap routine to the OS, that's not happening.

Are you able to load the Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD?

Yes, you're correct. Apologies for my error there.

So in your particular case, the problem is that although the system is able to hand over the bootstrap routine to the OS, that's not happening.

Are you able to load the Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD?

The board has been sent back for a replacement. I couldn't do anything. It would hang a the bootsplash and that was it. I could do no more with it.

just as mysteriously as it stopped working, it started again last night. only problem is i can't boot into windows. looks like i have a corrupted DLL.

Reboot and immediately after the nF4 splash screen disappears, hit F8 a few times. That should load the Windows Advanced menu. Choose "Last Known Good Configuration". Windows will turn back the clock and load itself using the last known configuration which allowed it to bootup properly.