Boot problem, hangs up on bootsplash screen

Ok now this is just weird.

I grabed some USB to PS/2 converters and put them on both my keyboard and mouse and hooked them back up.

I then turned my system back on and during the splash screen I pressed the delete key and the next screen is black with a blinking cursor.

What the heck is going on??

Do I need to RMA my motherboard?

EDIT::ok this is even weirder. I keep getting a message telling me to reset my CPU frequency...I have that on auto...someone care to explain?

No, you don't need to RMA your board. Just remove the converters and go back to the way you were using them before.

USB polling frequency is 125Mhz while PS/2 is 150Mhz. Adding a converter allows the component to be plugged into a PS/2 port, but doesn't change the polling frequency. That can cause the system to malfunction.

If you want to use PS/2 ports, buy the correct components for the job. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Worm,

I tried your floppy technique you suggested and still can't get mine going. It doesn't initiate the floppy to read the disk. I'm still hanging on the bootsplash. The only led left is just the one. It starts with the 4 leds but ends on just the one and hangs on the boot splash. I wanted to get some more input just to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll be sending it back tomorrow for sure if I can't get some kind of improvemement today.

Thanks

Hey Worm,

I tried your floppy technique you suggested and still can't get mine going. It doesn't initiate the floppy to read the disk. I'm still hanging on the bootsplash. The only led left is just the one. It starts with the 4 leds but ends on just the one and hangs on the boot splash. I wanted to get some more input just to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll be sending it back tomorrow for sure if I can't get some kind of improvemement today.

Thanks

Ditto... There has to be a work around (I hope)

Hey Worm,

Thanks

If it hangs with just one LED lit, it means it's not detecting the graphics card. Try reseating it in the slot.

Even after flashing the BIOS successfully I still can't install windows since it hangs...every 5 out of 6 reboots fails (after splah screen there is nothing but a blank screen with a blinking cursor)

I know it is not my grpahics card(s) either.

I tried two 6800Ultras in SLI and single mode, 7800GTXs in SLI and single mode, a x850 xt pe and a x800 xt pe.

no difference...where do I get my RMA number from?

i too am having this problem. started randomly last night. only difference is that mine hangs on 3 leds and i have to remove a ram stick to get it down to 1 and sometimes get the splash.

ok, i somehow made it to POST, but if i try to go into CMOS or press F1 to continue, the screen goes black.

i too am having this problem. started randomly last night. only difference is that mine hangs on 3 leds and i have to remove a ram stick to get it down to 1 and sometimes get the splash.

ok, i somehow made it to POST, but if i try to go into CMOS or press F1 to continue, the screen goes black.

Bingo.

Argh this sucks I have to get this up before friday.

maybe DFI mobos have some weird 8/27/05 glitch on them that just now came up? honestly, i had never heard of this problem till i decided to restart my PC for the first time in a few weeks last night, and then i come here and there are like four or five other threads with the same exact problem. this needs some serious investigation.

maybe DFI mobos have some weird 8/27/05 glitch on them that just now came up? honestly, i had never heard of this problem till i decided to restart my PC for the first time in a few weeks last night, and then i come here and there are like four or five other threads with the same exact problem. this needs some serious investigation.

I agree that this needs to be investigated. Knowing what causes it would be a big help and atleast point you in a direction for troubleshooting. I'll see what happens with my 2nd board. I worked with mine over a week and finally sent it back to newegg this morning.

I noticed that too my PC had frozen during BF2 so I forced a t shutdown and it has been like this ever since.

Not even boot and nuke can run on my system. Something is way off the mark.