Boot problem, hangs up on bootsplash screen

It sounds like it was the USB problem - he said it worked after he unplugged the USB ports. Strangely enough, I had this exact same problem last night when my joystick was half-unplugged from my USB hub. Took me a while to troubleshoot, but that was definately the problem - I'll add that to my bag of fixes for next time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright ;)

Thanks a lot for all this advices.

I'll give it a try today, I'm currently at job so won't be able to create now a descent sig with all the correct specs (don't know all of them by heart).

Anyway, I'll start looking on recommended PSUs :)

+1 , correct. Just asked my bro to plug off all usb devices, and POST was ok.

On my way to buy a descent PSU, will see if it changes anything.

Again, thanks a bunch for the tip :D

Why is everyone bashing the usage of 20pin PSUs on this mobo? Im runnin a 20-pin PSU ( with adapter of course) and my rig is rock solid stable and can dish out some good OCing. All my rails are static which bonus in the 5v and 12v rails. Maybe if its a low-wat non-branded unit then I could see problems.

Why is everyone bashing the usage of 20pin PSUs on this mobo? Im runnin a 20-pin PSU ( with adapter of course) and my rig is rock solid stable and can dish out some good OCing. All my rails are static which bonus in the 5v and 12v rails. Maybe if its a low-wat non-branded unit then I could see problems.

What's fine for one might not be fine for others. Fact is you can categorically rule out the PSU IF it's to spec. Sure there are hundreds who use 20pin PSU with adapter, but I'll bet there is thousands who can't ;)

What's fine for one might not be fine for others. Fact is you can categorically rule out the PSU IF it's to spec. Sure there are hundreds who use 20pin PSU with adapter, but I'll bet there is thousands who can't ;)

Oh yeah, only the biggest of gurus can make these work.. :nod:

Is anyone from DFI looking into this issue with the USB devices being connected causing the system to hang?

I thought that's why we all came here. This forum is touted as the place to get definitive answers from the source and this is definitely a growing issue with a lot of users running into the same problem.

On a side note, the external drive I'm using has it's own power supply plugged in to the AC so it's not drawing from the USB port and causing any kind of overvolt protection to kick in.

Is anyone from DFI looking into this issue with the USB devices being connected causing the system to hang?

I thought that's why we all came here. This forum is touted as the place to get definitive answers from the source and this is definitely a growing issue with a lot of users running into the same problem.

On a side note, the external drive I'm using has it's own power supply plugged in to the AC so it's not drawing from the USB port and causing any kind of overvolt protection to kick in.

I've got 5 different NF4 Lanparty boards running, and they all boot just fine with a USB device plugged into them, whether they are USB keys (memory sticks), game pads, music players, hdd's, headphones, bluetooth keys, etc.

I've tried 10 ways to sunday to make them hang, and they wont, they just come up with the message that boot order has changed if the usb device is a storage device.

5/10-2 bios, 6/23 official bios (and the -2 version also), 7/04-2BT bios

WE bash because we care! :nod: Native 24-pin ATX is required. :nod:

If you have any USB devices connected, disconnect them and try it again. Mine will post but hang at the same point yours is if I have the external HD connected to the USB port. I disconnect it and it and viola! it boots up fine. I can reconnect it after booting and use the drive no probs so I know it's not the drive itself. Still no word on this from DFI guys, but it seems a few peeps here are having this issue with various USB devices. May not be the problem in your case, but it was worth a shot :)

I don't see an internal HD in your sig John. Which one are you using and if it's larger than 200GB, how many partitions have you created and how big is the Primary?

Same here:

Reinstalled windows, first boot, Win Splash Screen, system reboots itself

Tried bios 6.23-3 and 7.04-3

Using two raptors as raid 0, tried nforce drivers 6.66 and 6.53 (win installation - when asked to press f6)

Ok now this is just weird.

I grabed some USB to PS/2 converters and put them on both my keyboard and mouse and hooked them back up.

I then turned my system back on and during the splash screen I pressed the delete key and the next screen is black with a blinking cursor.

What the heck is going on??

Do I need to RMA my motherboard?

EDIT::ok this is even weirder. I keep getting a message telling me to reset my CPU frequency...I have that on auto...someone care to explain?