Bigger boost?

I currently have 1gb of Corsair Xtreme Low latency ram. The question is, would I get a bigger boost from buying a another 1gb of the same stuff (Grand Total 2gb) or 1gb of the OCZ DDR500 below.

Corsair (Already have 1gb)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145524

OCZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227206

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither option. Optimal performance is achieved with only 1GB installed.

dont know where you got this information, but it is so completely false that I have to wonder exactly where it came from

performance is determined by cpu Mhz on the Athlon64, not by memory timings or command rates (though low timings like 2-2-2 will perform better than 3-4-4, its the cpu mhz that makes the difference).

The only problem with Corsair and buying another set, is that you never know what you are going to get...they change their line so often that if you buy another kit of it, it might be a different SPD, it might be different chips, etc, then you'd be stuck with 2GB of memory, but only able to have your board detect 1GB total.

I have the PC4000 OCZ, and its fantastic stuff ;) (check the 939 Overclocking Database)

Yeah, that OCZ will be pretty damn nice.

Also, ive heard the speeds at 3.3v arnt for sure, those numbers just show the limit to which the warrenty will cover. Is this true? Or will it run at 250fsb 2-2-2-8 @3.3v right out of the box (or possibly after burn in)?

One more question, when I get the DDR500 installed, will it detect its own timings, or will I be doing this myself?

dont know where you got this information, but it is so completely false that I have to wonder exactly where it came from

Have to disagree with you there I'm afraid Mega. Applications require a certain amount of memory to run, usually a maximum 512MB. The OS uses around 300MB which means that there is still a surplus of some 200MB spare with 1GB installed. Adding another gig will do nothing at all to improve performance because the additional capacity is entirely superfluous.

There are various tests scattered around the web which demonstrate that fact. ;)

I hear that Battlefield 2 requires 2gb.

is this fact/fiction? Whats the deal with it being a resource hog?

Official system requirements for BF2 here

Most problems with XP where resources are not being released properly can be resolved by installing Microsoft's User Hive Cleanup Service utility called UPHClean, download here

Worm, what planet do you reside in? It certainly can't be earth. Seriously tho, stop reading tom's hardware and buy some hardware and test it for yourself before you make these claims.

Oh dear. I suppose I'll have to go dig up some docs for the benefit of you newbies who don't know how computers work.