Rehashing my temperature issue :p

Guest Shibby_merged

Guest Shibby

I had originally posted a few weeks ago about my temperature issues with the Zalman 7000B-Cu. With an o/c of 250x10, I was getting load temperatures in the mid-50's (high 40's at stock settings). I was essentially told to chill out a while and wait for the AS5 to cure (~200 hrs). Good advice...I'm not known for patience.

So, it's been a few weeks, and my temperatures have seen little to no improvement. I'm still hitting up to 56C under load (even flicks up to 57 sometimes!), it just takes a little longer to get there than when I first put on the HS. Given the number of times I applied and reapplied the AS5, I'm fairly certain that my application technique is good (ie: when pulling the HS off, the compound on the CPU looked picture perfect.

So, after much searching, I'm still at the conclusion that these temps "ain't right". I'm dying to push my system more, but am afraid to do so (hell, I'm still afraid to run OCCT or Prime95 overnight). Airflow isn't a problem, I've tested this with the side off, fan pointed at the cpu, etc. So what the heck? The only thing I can think of is that there is some problem with the application of TC under the IHS. I know this is a total longshot, but it's not unheard of (though very rare). The other option is lapping the HS, but it was pretty good to start, so I'm doubting that would make much of a difference (at least not anything that would give me confidence to push the o/c more).

What do you guys think? Am I an idiot? I'd kind of like to pull it apart (yeah, I'm aware of the risks/warranty issues involved) to (a) see what's going on in there, and (B) because I like taking things apart. So, taking the IHS off is relatively straight forward, but since I'm not watercooling, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to leave it off (ie: clean it up, apply TC, and put the IHS back on). The problem is that I can't find much in the way of instructions to reapply the IHS. Any tips? Should I be content with what I already have (yeah, right!)?

Thanks,

Greg

P.S. Sorry about the rambling. I'm really really bored at work :P

Guest area51

I suppose my first question is what is your vcore at? I have noticed that my temps are far more related to the amount of vcore I am pumping into a chip than what frequency it is operating at...

Is your 250*10 @ 1.4v or 1.7v for example...

The other issue that pops to mind is your ambient room temperature. What is it?

Assuming those two issues are semi normal ie NOT 1.7vcore in a 95 degree room :rolleyes: then I have to say I am curiuos about your IHS theory...

I have two 3500+ venices with identical coolers, boards, and cases yet they clearly operate at different temps at identical settings. The issue has to be processor related as all other variables I can see are accounted for.