Sign in to follow this  
Rexarra

Utterly screwed up Driver problem.

Hey everyone. The following is copied from posts I made on another forum about this problem.

EDIT: FULL SYSTEM SPECS:

Lanparty UT Ultra-D

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

1GB Geil High Performance 2.5-3-3-6

GeCube X800XL 256MB

Seagate 160GB

SATA Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W

BenQ DVD-RW

Sony DVD-ROM

WinXP Home

BIOS:

Version: 6.00 PG

Date: 03/10/05

-----------------------

Just finished installing windows on my new box and I went to install the drivers for my DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D.

Inserted the CD into the DVD-ROM drive, nothing came up. No auto run. I went to take the CD out and try it in the DVD-RW drive when a box popped up telling me there was no disc in the drive and ordering me to put one in. The box refused to go away, not matter how many times I clicked 'Cancel', 'Try Again' or 'Continue'.

Putting the CD in either drive did not remove the message, and no auto run happened in either one.

I tried restarting the PC but Windows informed me that 'G:bios.exe' was still running and could not be shut down. G is the DVD-RW. It would not 'End now'. And it always popped up when I tried to shutdown.

I was forced to shut the thing off at the wall, and powered it up. It booted fine and I tried the CD (in DVD-RW) again. Again, no auto-run. I went into Explorer and double clicked on 'Setup'. The cursor went to the hourglass and the drive grunted a bit, but nothing else happened. Same happened in the DVD-ROM drive.

Attempting shutdown caused the same bios.exe message to display.

The DVD drives work fine with other CD's, autorun pops up normally. So, it's not the DVD drives I guess.

I am mightily pissed off, this is the second computer I've built and the second one to have crippling problems the moment it's turned on. I need help, and fast.

The specifications are:

Motherboard as above

AMD Athlon64 3500+

Gecube X800XL

Seagate 160GB SATA

Sony DVD-ROM

BenQ DVD-RW

Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value.

1 GB Geil High Performance.

(Was suggested I check disk for scratches etc)

The CD looks just fine.

I just tried the CD in another computer (The one in my sig, there were of course, motherboard drivers already on this other computer, doubt it matters). Autorun did not start. Infact, it popped up saying 'CD not recognized, insert correct CD'.

So, obviously something is wrong with the CD. I can still explore it, but Setup will not function, the same 'Not recognized' box pops up.

I can obtain the drivers from the DFI website ( http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl..._FLAG=A&SITE=US ), assuming I can figure out which ones I need. Would I need the BIOS download too?

And this bios.exe message, any idea what thats about?

(At this point, I was told to get the drivers direct from the DFI website, or get some nF4 drivers from nvidia.com)

Okay, this is becoming increasingly more serious.

I downloaded those nVidia drivers and burnt them to a CD. I loaded the CD into the new computer.

It did not auto run. I opened it up in My Computer, and there were all the files. I attaempted to copy the nVidia .exe file onto the computer. It got about halfway through (going a bit slowly) before it announced that the file was corrupted and told me to get a new one.

I tried opening it directly from the CD and it announced (like last time using the DFI CD) that it needed a disk in 'the' drive. It did not say a particular one. I believe it made a mention of 'harddrive'. So, getting desperate I slammed the SATA RAID floppy in, and pressed 'Try Again' about 5 times, as it kept popping up, like before.

Then, it seemed to proceed with the reading of the nVidia file contents. it very slowly read it, and when it finished it announced the file was corrupted/unreadable.

Before you say it, I really doubt it is the DVD drives. I have tried other CD's that have files on them, and they all auto ran and all the files were accessable.

It seems, that only CD's that have these nforce4/motherboard drivers on them act up.

The DFI was able to have it's contents viewed, but attempting to use 'Setup' failed. The CD with the burnt nVidia drivers could be viewed, but when I try to actually use them, they don't work.

What the hell is going on.

-----------------------

I have a limited time span in which to fix this, so I would seriously appreciate urgent help. (Note: Urgent)

I apologise for the sig, I only realised after I had posted. And I have updated it, but it has not updated my sig in that post.

The specifications are:

Lanparty UT Ultra-D

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

1GB Geil High Performance

GeCube X800XL 256MB

Seagate 160GB

SATA Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W

BenQ DVD-RW

Sony DVD-ROM

WinXP Home

I don't know the BIOS version, mainly because on startup, it will not display that particular screen. I suppose this is because I don't have the drivers installed, which is the problem.

EDIT: Using CPU-Z, I found the BIOS details. Main post updated.

Version: 6.00 PG

Date: 03/10/05

Get your location added to your profile so we can see where you live. This is important for suggestions on getting help.

If your rig boots we need the BIOS version.

All of this is in the forum rules which you should have read and understood before posting.

Help us help you!

I again, apologise. I am pissed off about this problem, and I was in a hurry. Additionally, the ATI drivers are yet to be installed, so my scrolling speed is very slow.

Main and 2nd post has been updated with BIOS information. And profile has been updated to abide by the rules.

Your problem is very likely due to an old firmware version running on your DVD drive. You don't mention which model it is, so I can assist you any further at this stage. But if you go to the manufacturer's website, you should be able to find a link to firmware upgrades for your particular model.

I had a similar problem with my Samsung DVD Writer. When I bought it, the firmware version was TS-02 and trying to install Pinnacle DVD Writer software on that version results in a BSOD (Stop error 0x0000000A = IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN). Upgrading to the latest firmware version which is TS-10 fixed the problem.

Once you upgrade the firmware, it remains valid even if you subsequently reformat your HDD and reinstall Windows for any reason.

The DVD-RW is a BenQ DW1625. I will check their website, thankyou.

I don't understand why every other CD and every other type of file (including other exe's) work just fine. How could it be interfering with just one type of exe?

I have updated the firmware, but it has not worked. I tried using the burnt copy of the nVidia drivers, same thing happened, it got stuck half way through copying it to the HD.

I'm not sure downloading them direct to the computer will work. I just tried installing a copy of Adaware that was downloaded directly to the new computer. It installed, and when it tried to start itself, that very same 'There is no disk in the drive. Insert one now' message came up.

Trust me it will work.

Adware is looking for drives to scan and we know right now that your drives are acting screwy.

Go to the link a gave you before and download from platform, NF4 AMD, choosing the right OS.

the go to run browes to that file and run it.

Have you checked Device Manager? Does the drive appear without a yellow exclamation mark or red X on it?

What about Event Viewer? To check in there, go to Start --> Run, type eventvwr.msc and click OK. Then go to the System category. You're looking for events with either a yellow warning triangle or red X. If you open those, you'll get a link to Microsoft. Click that which loads "Help & Support" with links to MSKB articles specific to that particular problem.

Oh, and you should also check the IDE cable to make sure that it's firmly in place. ;)

I downloaded them fresh, and ran the file.

On the part where it asks you to choose a folder, this is what was displayed in an error window:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(X) There is no disk in the drive.Please insert a disk into drive DeviceHarddisk1DR2.

[Cancel] [Try Again] [Continue]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter what button I press, the same message pops up. It does not go away.