NF4 - LOL ~ Chipset Temps ~ Ya Gotta See This!

So I've got my new system setup pretty nicely - just doing some tweaking and fiddling before I start to overclock in a couple of weeks. One thing that's bothering me, though, is that damn chipset fan spooling up and down with temps around 52°C - sounds like a damn police siren! And why is the temp so high, anyway? It's *way* higher than anything in the whole setup! And this things got the side panel off, in a nice cool basement!

So I decide to do the chipset mod started here and done by others: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=fast

As I'm looking at the stock heatsink, something catches my eye - what's that thing under the hsf? Pic #1

Well, well, well! Someone on the DFI assembly line with a hangover!! LOL!!! Pic #2

HAHA!! I guess anything's possible! Here I thought that this hot little chipset was something I was just going to have to live with! LOL!

Pulled it apart, got some AS5 and the new fan on, and WOW! Here's the finished mod - Pic #3 ... Temp went from 52°C to 38°C! That's at idle - in the BIOS the fan is turning at about 3100 rpm and the temp is 37°C. In Windows, the fan runs about 4400rpm and the idle temp is still around 38°C - see Pic #4

Check your boards, gentlemen! You may be in for a surprise!

p.s. I'm lovin' this XP-90 - CPU at 26°C *with the fan off* ... sheesh!!! :D

what are the downsides of having your chipset running at 50C?

I know it's well within spec, but I plan on overclocking this rig and want every advantage I can get. I also wanted to get that screeching 7000rpm fan out of my ears! :)

p.s. I'm lovin' this XP-90 - CPU at 26°C *with the fan off* ... sheesh!!! :D

I know how you feel - I just love when on a cool night my xp-120 lowers the temp to 25C and the fan shut down :nod:

On topic:

How did you attach the fan - did you drill or did you use thermal tape as a glue?

I have seen users that reported that thermal tape sticker was still on - but only a few of then

I know how you feel - I just love when on a cool night my xp-120 lowers the temp to 25C and the fan shut down :nod:

On topic:

How did you attach the fan - did you drill or did you use thermal tape as a glue?

I have seen users that reported that thermal tape sticker was still on - but only a few of then

The thermal tape comes with the IB4 ramsinks and has worked perfectly for me.

I've looked over the mod, good idea but we cna do better :)

The vantec uses a

Bearing: Ball

Speed: 5500RPM

Air Flow 8.6CFM

Noise Level 30dBA

45x45x10mm fan

if you get the Thermalright nb-1

you also get a 45x45x10mm fan but this time it's made by delta with these stats:

Bearing: Dual Ball Bearing System

Speed: 6000 rpm

Air Flow: 11.80 CFM

Noise Level: 34dBA

4 more dBA but you get more cooling:

Fan is Maker: DELTA

Model: AFB04512HA

I'll keep looking for better fans but this might be the best you can get your hands on

looks like thermaltake did make one as well but it seems it was discontinued...

Fan Dimension 45x45x10mm

Rated Voltage 12V DC

Air Flow CFM 11.35

Rated Speed 5400rpm

Noise Level 28dba

Colour SILVER

Bearing Type Sleeve