NF3 250Gb> so far no good :(...helP!

Hello,

I first heard of DFI a few months ago when a I was recommended a DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb mobo to replace the Gigabyte K8NS Pro mobo I had.

The main reason for changing was because I could not get the K8NS Pro to work with 2 x 512MB DDR400 (PQI brand) RAM modules at 200MHz. Benchmarking with PCMark04 and 3DMark05 showed that my I got better performance when I had 1 x 512MB RAM running at 200MHz than when I had 2 x 512MB RAM modules installed running at the reduced 166MHz speed. I was told the DFI mobo would not have this memory limitation.

I intended to attempt to keep my WinXP OS instalation and just do a Repair Instalation from the WinXP bootup CD.

I replaced the K8NS Pro with the nF3 250Gb and installed 2 x 512MB RAM and all the devices (a SATA HDD, DVD-RW drive, a FDD, 6600GT gfx card and a wireless card, Antec 450W TruPower).

I power up the PC and immediately hear a long BEEP and get a blank screen. Bad start and not a good sign. I remove one of the 512MB RAM modules and the system now is able to boot up. I flash the mobo BIOS to the latest available at the DFI website.

I run the WinXP Repair Instalation and WinXp tries to start for the first time but the system doesn't advance past the WinXP spash screen with the blue progress blocks. I find that the system either hangs at that point or reboots itself.

I try booting in Safe Mode but the system hangs this time just after loading the file Mup.sys.

So far, not so good on both accounts.

I read a few forums and on a hunch just try booting again with the DVD drive detatched. I find that now I can boot up in Safe Mode (why?). However I still can't boot up in Normal Mode. The system just reboots itself everytime it gets to the WinXP splash screen in an endless loop.

I load all the drivers while in WinXP in Safe Mode that are on the mobo CD disk but still I can't start up WinXP in Normal Mode.

I am now (reluctantly) preparing to just format C: and do a fresh install of WinXP. This is unfortunate but understandable I suppose (however there are good reasons to believe this wouldn't be necessary), but I am still concerned over how simply detaching the DVD drive let me boot up in Safe Mode. Is this mobo picky with it's devices?

My biggest disappointment is with the 2 x 512MB RAm modules not working just on the "stock" Fail Safe BIOS settings. I have only tried the Load Fail Safe and Load Optimised BIOS settings and have not yet messsed with the RAM timing but things aren't looking good when you can't even get things to work on the "stock" Fail Safe defualts. Should I be able to run 2 x 512MB RAM (generic) at he standard 200MHz? Or do I need fancy RAM like OCZ/Kingston/Corsair etc for it to work?

Any comments on these issues would be appreciated.

I hope I have not wasted my money and effort on this DFI mobo. If the memory limitations remain, then all I am really getting over the K8NS Pro would be a 5.1 onboard sound system.

Cheers

Bullman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thanks for the heads up guys. Wow, they are serious with these rules here. I was wondering why I couldn't find my original post :P

Signature file done.

Is this thread saved now?

Cheers

Bullman

If the DVD writer is causing problems, is there perhaps a different firmware you might be able to try for it?

As for needing to reinstall the OS, I wouldn't dwell too long on being upset about that. It just IS necessary, especially with XP and the way windows handles drivers. I have seen people need to do format/reinstalls just to be sure the IDE drivers are changed. Can't really blame DFI for that. It's just one thing Windows doesn't do well.

Due to my constant upgrades, what I have done is create partitions on my hard drives. I keep a separate partition for my OS, and I do not install programs to their default C:/... directory: I always put them on my other partitions. This way, when a format is required, I tend to have the data from many of the programs I use every day. Even if I need to reinstall some, I still have access to the old saves and data that was stored in those folders. It lets me not worry too much about having to format. It will always take time, but I save time by having many preferences and saves and data saved on a separate partition.

ok Boot in safe mode and uninstall all drivers if they not in add/remove go to device manager and remove them from there and you should be able to boot in normal mode cos if it works in safe mode it generally means that windows is OK.

failing that just do a repair install from the windows CD

hope this helps

BTW welcome to the street

Oh yeah, and if you were running with different IDE drivers before, the new chipset may not like them very much at all, which could easily cause the issue you are having with your DVD drive. They might be conflicting with the new drivers. Were you able to uninstall the old ones before reinstalling the new ones? You may not even be able to tell where they are, and uninstalling them is not proof that no remnants of them are left in XP. A corrupted IDE driver would certainly cause issues with the DVD drive and then fail to boot windows properly. I don't think most drivers are used in Safe Mode, which might explain why you can load up the OS that way. At least it will allow you to back up stuff before you reinstall.

I would format and reinstall and then see if you still have issues with the DVD writer (I doubt you will). I think most people would have told you to format and reinstall when changing motherboards anyway, especially from one chipset to another.

Angry,

I have now filled that in.

Thanks for the replies. I have conceeded that I should reinstall WinXP so no probs there.

However, as I said, I am more concerend about the memory limitations. Are they as I have described or is it just because I have not configured the BIOS propoerly.

Cheers

Bullman

When I origianlly installed WinXP, I used a SP2 slipstreamed CD I created from my original WinXP install CD.

However when I did the Repair Installation I mistakenly used the original WinXP CD. I later repeated the Repair Installation procedure with the SP2 slipstream CD. However, I can understand if things are fubar as a result of originally doing a Repair Installation with the original WinXP CD. Im prepared to wait and see what happens when I do my clean reinstall on C:.

However, I wold still like reassurance that others have been able to use 2 x 512MB "generic" DDR400 (PC3200) RAM modules at 200MHz on this mobo. If so, what BIOS seetings required changing?

Bullman