Sign in to follow this  
treishpe

NF4 Ultra-D> Random freezing in windows

Hi. I am having a weird problem. My system worked fine for about 2 months then this problem started (without me doing anything and without power failures):

The system randomly freezes when in windows (I am using windows XP with the latest drivers for...everything). It doesn't matter what I do after a random period of time it just locks, I can't move the mouse and the HDD led is off and stays off. This also happens if the computer is idle. I tried the following to solve the problem or find out what causes it:

-memtest for 10 hours about 3 times - test ok

-reflashed bios from bootable cd, fdd, win flash

-checked all 4 power cables on the MB (all fine)

-used another psu 550W

-used another memory kit (the corsair in the sig) on all slots

-prime95 (locked after a period of time ; it would have even if I didn't run prime95)

-tweaked the voltage for the cpu (by the way by default it showed 1.36 v not 1.4)(I think it ran a little bit longer ... not sure)

-memory voltage (now it's 2.8v)

any ideea what's the problem ?

incompatible ram timing would cause my pc to freeze during oc...

memtest won't show anything but back off a few mhz normally solve the problem

Which LAN port are you using? I had similar problems and they went away when I switched from the Marvell to Nvidia LAN.

I am using a hitachi-lg combo ... it's not much but it's fine for me (I am also using a external usb sony dvd-rw but that isn't the issue since I only plug it in when I need it - the problem occurs without that drive plugged in).

I was using the marvell lan, switched to vitesse locked after 13 min, plugged in a 3com, locked after a while ... :(

Hey ho chief, which 623 bios? There is 623-1, 623-2 and 623-3 all for different ram types. Search these forums to see which is best for you. Does'nt matter what you flash from, I tend to use the CD image.Also try just a single stick of ram, and try all the slots one by one. Did you try clearing the CMOS after swapping the LAN ports? Looking at your PSU, although it meets the specs, you do have a few things plugged in that might just be pusihing it over the limits, what with the mulitple HDD's, ram modules, case fans adn external USB appliances. Oh, and Corsair sticks have caused more than a few problems on the DFI nF4. And lastly, welcome to the DFI!!! Sure it takes a bit of twiddling to get going, but the joy once this is done! Mind and post your thoughts once you get the rig going!

trei: Rule #9 states you must fill in your location in your User Control Panel at these forums. Please read the rules and follow them so we can give you the best help possible.

Location set (sorry about that).

I have version 3 for the 623 bios. I tried with one stick on all slots but no result (with corsair and also with kingmax).

I did notice something odd with the corsair stick - they run with verry weird timings for their price 3-3-3-8 @ 400Mhz ...hmmm. Also tried other combinations of timings... here are the results:

2-3-3-8 - passes memory test, 3 short beeps I think then restart

2-2-2-8 - passes memory test then white boxes on my screen and that's it

2-3-2-8 - idem 2-3-3-8

2.5-3-3-8 - idem 2-3-3-8

2.5-2-3-8 -idem 2-3-3-8

and then I quit :(

tried giving them more voltage but with no result (up to 3.1, I didn't go any further)

Also cleared cmos (also disabled the marvell ) - no result

(I don't have multiple HDD superflyguy, just a hitachi t7k250)

(I don't have any USB device plugged when it freezes)

Although I didn't think the fans made a difference I disconnected one of them (the antec one - it seemd to draw more power from the specs) but still with no result.

Thank you for the welcome but it would have been even better if I had a system that worked for more than 30 minutes without freezing ...