Counter Strike Probs

steve burnell

hi guys/gals

just bought the retail version of CS after playin it at work on lan but i'm having problems

i installed it, checked for patches on the web site and got the 1.0.0.5 patch installed that ok.

started the game and went to play online got the about 35,000 servers up tried connecting to a game but it just froze.

then i tried to acess the net to see if i had the right patch but it wouldn't work at all, so i checked my ip address which is givin to me through my router, it was totaly different and didn't have a gateway address (took me about 30mins to get it sorted ) and wouldn't work untill i had un-installed CS

anyone had any probs like this?

runnin win xp pro

amd 1800+

768mb sd ram

jetway 867as

gainward gforce 2 450gs 64mb ddr

plz help i love this game

Occasionally I do hear of conflicting problems between the CS Retail version and the free mod version, this may not be your problem though. Your problem may also be that you have not updated halflife. If you have the version of the game that requires halflife to be installed on your computer, you will have needed to download the HL1.1.1.0 patch. My CS wouldn't work for awhile because I didn't have this patch so that may be your problem. Just out of curiosity, why would you buy the game when you can get it for free?

i bought the game because when i used the half life mod version it didn't work just crashed out to desktop, tried a friends retail counter strike and it worked ok

and i don't need to use the hl patch because half life is not installed

i kinda see whats wrong... i had almost the same problem...

basicly, i believe the problem is caused by the overflow of server information - meaning, you updated cs all the way through and that floods your internet... for me... it screws up my router or my cable modem and i would have to power switch it on and off to recover. I think the router cant handle all the packets being received from HL.

In response to this, i personally used the "Filter" button everytime i want to get servers. It is much faster and it prevents internet loss. Try filters like - "Servers with Anti-Cheat tech", "Servers that are responding", "servers that have people currently playing", "servers that are not full", and more importantly "servers with ping < 250".

Try this and hopefully it all goes well. Post what happens..

it froze after it was downloaded, when it was trying to load a game

but i've just sacked it off now, i was getting too mad with it,

tried opening the DMZ on the router and it worked for one game but after i quit and tried again it just started all over again

tried it on win2k but it was even worse just wouldn't work at all.

not even gonna bother with it at home anymore, just gonna kick . at work.

update::

it was my router, don't think i'll be buying any belkin products anymore, took first one back and exchanged it for another of the same model, but had to take that back too.

anyone recomend a good decent priced cable router

Edited by steve burnell

you can always go with the linksys routers, or lynksis...whichever way they spell it....i think linksys.

but didn't anyone else read the part where he said "i'll just kick . at work"

......................wouldn't anyone notice "fire in the hole" or "get outta there it's gonna blow" at work?

or that stupid knifing sound at the beginning of the rounds, cause people have to knife each other in the back......nubs.

you can always go with the linksys routers, or lynksis...whichever way they spell it....i think linksys.

but didn't anyone else read the part where he said "i'll just kick . at work"

......................wouldn't anyone notice "fire in the hole" or "get outta there it's gonna blow" at work?

or that stupid knifing sound at the beginning of the rounds, cause people have to knife each other in the back......nubs.

yeah linksys makes good routers. u can get a 4 port router anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks depending on the model.

BTW: if u can get away with cs at work u must have a kickass job!!! lol.