NF4 SLI-DR> After Build?

So far I have just completed my first build. I would appreciate it if someone could reccomend a bios to flash according to my PC parts. After flashing I plan on following this guide. I don't plan on setting up a RAID unless someone strongly dissagrees for good reason. My next planned step would be to install windows and then overclock a couple weeks later when my new heatsink comes. If anyone sees anything else that I should add into this procedure please let me know or if you know a bios i should flash to. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

So far I have just completed my first build. I would appreciate it if someone could reccomend a bios to flash according to my PC parts. After flashing I plan on following this guide. I don't plan on setting up a RAID unless someone strongly dissagrees for good reason. My next planned step would be to install windows and then overclock a couple weeks later when my new heatsink comes. If anyone sees anything else that I should add into this procedure please let me know or if you know a bios i should flash to. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

I see no reason why the latest 6-23-2005 version wouldn't work out.

is it ok for me to follow rgone's guide even though i am using a stock heat sink?

yes. But you may not be able to go as high. I've been using all stock cooling, and no extra fans, without any problems.

bios 6/23.

You can't raid 1 drive. You need atleast 2 for raid 0, and atleast 3 for anything else. If you raided those 2 drives, you would loose alot of space, since the new raid array will be 2 times the smallest drive, and any extra will not be able to be used.

no they don't have to be identical.

for example: you can raid a 6 gig (5400rpm ata66 2mb cache) with a 74gig (10,000 sata150 8mb cache)

BUT- you only will get twice the size and speed of the smallest drive.

So for this example (I know it's an extreme case, but to show the point), your new array "drive" will show up as 12 gig and if the controller was really great, you might get twice the speed of the 6 gig drive, probably would be more like 1.5 times the slowest drive. The extra 68 gigs (74 minus 6) left on the raptor will not be able to be used.

Ok, back to topic.

Well, for the extreme example I used, yes that would be pointless. But if the drives were similar, and you don't need the extra space, well that's for each individual to decide. IMO, if they were close, it would be pointless NOT to raid them.

is it ok for me to follow rgone's guide even though i am using a stock heat sink?

Well I dont go by guides to the letter since each part acts slightly different but they are a good start if you cannot solve those pesky BSODs.

You are using the frackin fx57 chip. 2.8ghz aint enough for you? Im not confident you get any more then what is stock, could play around with the HTT and drop multi but Id really would touch OCing untill you get a decent cooler for the cpu.

That chip was meant for those that are too lazy to overclock

Other people are sitting here TRYING to get 2.8 OC, and here he is, sitting at 2.8 stock...

I didn't notice any FX-57 in the OC database? Any people OCed an FX-57? How high can they go with some good air cooling?

I know with stock cooling you really cant unless its fricking freezing in the room.

Most of the FX57 chips are already at their caps and beyond requires a heavy jolt of juice and minimun water cooling. Its really for those that dont wanna OC. On the other side, it does allow you to buy cheaper ram since most of us that bought the cheaper 3000-3200 chips spent a fortune on the ram to push higher HTT/FSBs.