corsair BI solved, oc update

Minsc

I finally got stable with BI:On on my Corsair memory. I thought perhaps the "Optimized Defaults" base in the BIOS were a little too optimized, and on a whim, I set everything in DRAM to "Auto" except for just 6 settings - forced 3-4-3-8, 2T, Decrease Skew, and BI:On. Lo and behold it worked. Those handful of settings that are set to 7 look like the problem. I'm very happy, my memory speeds are extremely respectable (over 3GB/s write in Everest.)

It may have also been due to the increased CPU VID which I put at 1.55,110%.

I also got very stable at 293FSB, CPU=2640mhz @ 9x, LDT=4x, which passed every test and benchmark as well as a 2 hour Prime95. Of course, BF2 still didn't like it, so I dropped it to 275x9 (2480mhz) and played BF2 on that for several hours. Very happy!

Only surprises were these two issues:

1. Total HTT (LDTxFSB) should be around 2000 according to ThundA's OC guide, with my 939 Clawhammer. But LDT 5x * 300FSB (when the 300FSB was otherwise stable) would get past the POST but would reboot at OS startup (before the Windows logo). Dropped to LDT 4x, works and totally stable. If the LDT is the multiplier for the RAM bus, and my RAM is known to be a little goofy, perhaps I should up my LDT volts?

2. My Passmark scores on my disk dropped a little (10% or so) which seemed a bit much. This may have been as simple as a fragmentation issue, causing the tests to occur further toward the end of the disk and thus slower. But it still seems like a bit too much of a drop. Anyone else seen this? Running a 2x Hitachi 80gb RAID-0 array (160GB total.)

Thanks again to everyone here, especially RGone, Speedy, and Wol for their patience and suggestions.

These DFI boards are OK alone, but it's the people on these boards who selflessly donate their time that makes them stellar.

1. Total HTT (LDTxFSB) should be around 2000 according to ThundA's OC guide, with my 939 Clawhammer. But LDT 5x * 300FSB (when the 300FSB was otherwise stable) would get past the POST but would reboot at OS startup (before the Windows logo). Dropped to LDT 4x, works and totally stable. If the LDT is the multiplier for the RAM bus, and my RAM is known to be a little goofy, perhaps I should up my LDT volts?

@300htt you should have the ldt multi at 3x.. 4x300= 1200..!!

If it works then leave it but that could cause weird instability problems..

Dont worry much about the total htt being too low.. It will not effect performance at all but if too high will cause instability..

Check out the "Confused by HTT? LDT? FSB? A64??? READ THIS!" link in my sig to fully understand it..

Ok, but in your guide you say that socket 939 a64's should have around 2000HTT...

Yes, but if you read the guide in-depth, you will find that the number Thunda supplied (1200) would need to be multiplied by 2 to get the HTT. We multiply by two because it's dual channel, single channel is 1000.

4X300=1200 X2=2400HTT, which is well above the 1200-1800 recommended.

However, if you put the LDT Multi at 3, you get:

3x300=900 x2=1800HTT, which is much more in spec.

I see now, in the "confused by" post... but in ThundA's overclocking guide only, it has no mention of 4x (it was my bible for 2 days while overclocking, I read it thoroughly and never got this impression.) An update would help clarify it for future users!

go minsc! nice to know ill have a nice little guide to follow if i have any problems! also, my psu will be here by this monday, along with my tornado and xp90c :) :) :)

do you still want some of my bios screenies?

Regards, WoL-shiver

also, mcshotgun, do you know it says athlo 54 in your sig?

:)

quick question for stock settings, when running whats in my sig, should i lower the HTT? because if its at 5x*200 thats 1000. 1000x2 is 2000. is the 12-1900 for stability during overclock only? sorry i need to read that thread :(

It's the font... It really looks like a 5, but it's a 6, trust me... I'm going to make a new sig with a font that doens't look like "Athlon 54"... whenever I get off my lazy anus.

I typed it about 3 times, thinking I kept hitting a 5, but I made sure it was a 6.

WoL - my suggestion on lowering HTT is to start at maybe 3x and do an Everest memory benchmark. Repeat on upwards until you stop gaining. If 4x is the same as 5x in the performance department, why bother with 5x when 4x will likely be more stable. Same for 3x of course.