Best diagnostic tool for temps/rpms?

bmueller

What diagnostic tool is the best for detecting fanspeeds and temps, particularly the cpu? MBM isn't doing anything for me.

I'm trying to figure out which fan in my rig keeps fluctuating... I can hear the RPMs decrease then increase again every 15 seconds. I really hope it's not the one on my cpu.

Ok using Speedfan:

Fan1: stays pretty much at 800rpm (EDIT: Chassis 120mm Fan)

Fan2: goes from 700 to 1200 (EDIT: CPUFan before switch)

Fan3: stays around 7000 to 7300 (EDIT: Northbridge)

Which fan is which? Is this fluctuation harmful? It's just kind of annoying to listen to...

The DFI program is not bad try it out you can always unplg your fans so see which one is annoying you. The chipset fan really needs to be set on less than 1000 and a larger fan blowing on it to keep the noise down. Oc cource if it is the CPU you might not want to unplug it you can try and manualy set the temps in bios or with the DFI utility.

Ok using Speedfan:

Fan1: stays pretty much at 800rpm

Fan2: goes from 700 to 1200

Fan3: dips from 8000 to 6000

Which fan is which? Is this fluctuation harmful? It's just kind of annoying to listen to...

I think that you can assume that fan 3 is your North Bridge chipset fan.

As Smoken Joe said, use the ITE Smart Guardian that comes with your motherboard. An alternative (that I use and have no complaints :nod: ) is the Motherboard Monitor with soundx98's modified data file that you can read about here.

Cheers,

ricey

So.. I powered down, went inside the case and unplugged the CPUFan and Fan2 on the mobo, and plugged the CPU 3pin on the Fan2 and left the CPUFan empty (my exhaust fan is not hooked up).

Now Fan2 or "Chassis" in Everest (Actually my CPU) is at a steady ~3885RPM and I hear no fluctuation in noise. Previously 800-1200RPM.

If I hook myexhaust fan up to CPUFan outlet, it reads 550-580RPM, previously 800RPM.

Did I just get a bad CPUfan power connector on my mobo?

EDIT: Maybe if I can find a 3pin to 4pin converter I can solve all my problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you adjusted the fan speed settings in the bios?

The fans are designed to turn on at the selected tempedrature.

Use whatever monitoring software you wish.

I just prefer the one that uses the least resources.

actually it adjusts the temperature at which the fan turns on (receives power)

The fans turn on and then off again (depending on temperature - they settings are adjustable from 25 degrees C to 55 degrees C) and that is probably the sound you are hearing. I have mine all set to start up at 25 deg C cause I find the noise irritating as well.

If you have the DFI MBM5 set up correctly it does an excellent job of displaying RPM as well. Does the configuration I posted display your temps and voltages correctly?

Have you taken the side off and checked to see if the fans speed up or slow down?

You can turn off the rig and let everything cool off, then when starting all fans should spin up, temps are measured, and if not hot enough they will spin down.