NF4 Ultra-D> 3700 San Diego + Mushkin Redline 4000

I started upgrading my rig with a NF4 Ultra-D, 3700 San Diego, and a gig of Mushkin Redline 4000 Friday and ran into the problem of getting to the XP load screen and getting a bsod and rebooting. This would cycle over and over and bsod every time.

I was using an underpowered psu at the time with a 20pin connection and thought this might be the problem. I installed a Antec Smartpower 2.0 with 24pin and this didn't help at all.

I've mainly had the problem of either hanging on the splash screen and not able to get into the bios or if I can get into the bios I can never load windows (or vista) due to bsod.

I followed suggestions that I found here on the forum and tried taking one of the sticks out and trying them one at a time in every slot and also tried an older stick of 3200 and had the same this didn't help.

I was running bios 310 and flashed this to 623-2 and then followed the instructions to load optimized defaults and then clear cmos. I then again ran into the problem of not being able to get past the splash screen.

I've worked on this all weekend and about to go crazy with it. I decided that I needed to post this thread and get some suggestions. I hope that some of you here are able to help.

I forgot to mention one thing, the temperature reported by the bios is running about 29c.

Thanks in advance, I'll check back in the morning. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is one led when either getting the bsod and rebooting or hanging on the splash screen.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that would cause the quick bsod and then reboot? I've never had to reload an OS before when doing upgrades such as this.

It's worth a try though. I'll do that if I can get past the splash screen. That's where I'm currently having a problem.

hold on have you put a Hard drive with windows already installed on it straight from another computer and expected it to boot up?

windows does not like to have its innards replaced under it, it jsut S--ts itself when you do that!, unless your really really lucky.

need to do a fresh install

What is the BSOD you're getting? They're right.. its probably not hardware... grab another HD and try to load the OS fresh. Boot from CD and load it to see what you get.

OR

You can try to boot your OS into safemode only. You're probably blowing up on driver load.

I guess I've been lucky in the past. I've done 6 builds like this in the past and never had to reload the os. I usually boot to safe mode a load the mobo drivers.

I've cleared the cmos and letting it sit until I get home from work. Hopefully it will get past the splash screen the next time I try it.

If anybody else has any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks.