[NF4 SLI-DR] Above 240 hoses the registry

flashburn

Hey folks. Everything’s been going well with the new system for the most part, but lately I’ve wanted to see if I could push my OC a bit (hitting this was a non issue, getting it prime stable has been a bit more complicated…), but anything above fsb240 (or htt or whatever we’re supposed to call it now) ends up shredding the registry. Usually I get about 1-3 reboots, with windows complaining at startup that it had to restore the registry, etc. Thereafter, I have to restore the registry by hand. This sounds suspiciously like the pci lock not kicking in, but the boot drive is always on SATA 3 or 4 (which I’m not sure applies to the NF4, but I figured it couldn’t hurt) and pcie is at 100. I’m about 95% sure I’ve had this happen both with and without sata spread spectrum set to on in the bios (which I’m also not sure applies with this drive). Moreover, I’ve reinstalled, reformatted and even zero filled, so this isn’t a data problem. The only thought I have left is to use the standard windows ide drivers instead of the nforce ones, which doesn’t seem like the best solution here. I feel as though I must be missing something really obvious, so any ideas would be appreciated.

One other thought: could having the LDT or chipset voltage set too low cause this? I’ve got them at the minimum, since my policy is always to use only as much juice as I have to, and because I’m not really sure what the ‘safe’ (or at least reasonable) range of voltage is for these.

How about trying to run memtest before you enter windows ..

Also you should check out my overclocking guide to help you isolate each part instead of just raising the htt like it seems you are doing..

I'm going to try the higher voltage as soon as a can afford to have the registry fried again...Though I've got restoring it down to a science, I get nervous that I might seriously break something and have to reinstall, which I don't have time to do for a couple of days

I thought I’d gather info first, though, before I sit down for another war with the bios settings :nod:

Edit: Point taken, thunda. I've been being lazy...however the fact that it's specific HD corruption stikes me as odd.

Edit: Point taken, thunda. I've been being lazy...however the fact that it's specific HD corruption stikes me as odd.

Thats not a good way to go about overclocking any mobo.. no less a DFI..

Oh well.. GL anyways..

A story of my own sounds suspicously like yours. I had just put toghether my pc, installed everything and did a ton of optimising. Next day I push the memory voltage up to 3.2v and try to overclock. Windows begins crashing to BSODs and the registry complains about its curruption. A few reinstalls of XP later, it turns out one of my memory sticks was broken.

I would definitely try using memtest86 before going any further about overclocking.

Thats not a good way to go about overclocking any mobo.. no less a DFI..

Oh well.. GL anyways..

I'm agreeing with you :nod: By "point taken," I guess I meant "yeah, it's time to do this systematically" I've memtested, but not for overlong. I just had a bad feeling that I might have missed something silly that somehow broke the clock lock. I guess I'll check back after more extensive testing Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

It definitely sounds like the memory is running too fast or you have a bad stack. What's happening is simple, the data read from the drive gets stored in RAM, gets corrupted, the system doesn't see any problems and dumps the bad data back to the disk.

Only 1 other possibility and that is that the harddrive is being overclocked too, you do have a SATA as your OS disk right? That could be it right there, as you stated but from reading into your first post I think you've covered your bases.

Try memtest like everyone suggested. It's a great tool, don't fear it! It's very simple to use.

Ok, so it's the ram. I've got a stick flaking out at 247 (probably earlier with a more extensive test) I'm a twit and thuda and chris get the nail-on-head award. I'm testing all my spare dimms right now: memtest is my new best friend. Moreover, now that I've gotten systematic, it looks like I may be able to up my CPU clock by a not insignificant margin. Silly, silly me... Thanks again to everyone.