Sign in to follow this  
Mars1

NF3 250gb> video problems

the system I will be refering to is listed in my signiture.

I ran Everest Home edition and looked under mobo/chipset/Northbridge: Nvidia nForce3 Ultra (CK8)

When I scroll to the bottom it lists two problems...

1. AGP is disabled. This may cause a performance penalty

2. Current AGP speed is lower then maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

indeed, when scroll up I see things that don't seem proper...

- current AGP speed: 4X

- AGP status: disabled

- Fast write: not supported

- side band addressing: supported, disabled

I've tried both auto and 8X for agp speed in bios and everest shows the same thing, 4x

AGP fast writes and side band addressing gives two options in bios, those are "Auto" and "Disable"...

I have AGP fast writes disabled - I have sideband addressing on Auto

side notes:

- when I try to run 3dmark03 I get a black screen where I can see the mouse pointer and move it all about but nothing happens.

- in games, my fps is not much better then when I had a fx5500 I'm pretty sure I should be getting higher fps when I compare what others are getting in games using the same video card. game settings are same as when I had older card, and have tried adjusting different game settings but there isn't a noticable difference.

I would greatly appriciate anyone's input esspecially those taht have the same equipment and/or have used/tested this equipment before. Thank you.

~Mark

if you need any additional info or other technical details let me know and tell me how to go about obtaining it.

*edit* -added-

mobo bios: 9/14/04

chipset drivers: nForce 5.10 (I dont believe I have the GART installed)

Guest Spartacus

Do you have another AGP card you can try?

Do you have another AGP card you can try?

I have used my Chaintech fx5500 to compare with... as listed in my post.

~Mark

As a start, I would download and install Driver Cleaner and the latest nVidia drivers.

When using Driver Cleaner follow the instructions very carefully.

When you reboot the final time you can install the latest nVidia drivers.

As a start, I would download and install Driver Cleaner and the latest nVidia drivers.

When using Driver Cleaner follow the instructions very carefully.

When you reboot the final time you can install the latest nVidia drivers.

YEs I have done that.

About a month ago I went to the nVidia website to update my video driver to 77.72 I also noticed that there was a newer chipset driver (5.10) I downloaded both programs...

after downloading; I ran three programs, 1.driver cleaner 2.system mechanic(all cleaning, including the registry cleaner and defrag-compactor) 3.Window Washer

after the system loaded back into windows, I first installed the chipset drivers w/restart ; afterwards I installed the video drivers.

also: I made sure that pc-cillian was turned off (anti-virus)

~Mark

Guest Spartacus
I have used my Chaintech fx5500 to compare with... as listed in my post.

~Mark

Ok, all you said in the original post was:

"in games, my fps is not much better then when I had a fx5500...."

That doesn't really help us to know if the problem is the card, the mobo, or just a driver problem.

When you have the FX5500 in the mobo does it do this:

"when I try to run 3dmark03 I get a black screen where I can see the mouse pointer and move it all about but nothing happens."

"I ran Everest Home edition and looked under mobo/chipset/Northbridge: Nvidia nForce3 Ultra (CK8)

When I scroll to the bottom it lists two problems...

1. AGP is disabled. This may cause a performance penalty"

Run the same exact tests on each card. You of course need to uninstall/re-install drivers and even better use Driver Cleaner as ExRoadie suggested.

If both video cards have the same exact problems, then you likely have a mobo problem (like bad AGP slot). If only one card has a problem, that really helps narrow it down.

All of that was essentially my gist with the question:

"Do you have another AGP card you can try?" :)

ah yes... I see your point now ... you explained it much better something I failed to do myself, sry bout that.

what I meant to say --->

I have the same problems with both video cards. and When I install new drivers I run those three programs in that order to clear out everything and make it fresh.

I am pretty sure it's not a video card problem, but a video problem with the DFI nForce 3 250gB mobo that I have... this is only my assumption and am relying on the good people here such as yourselves to help me... thank you btw.

possibly something not set right that I'm not aware of...

also I should point out, I do not have the GART installed that came with the 5.10 chipset drivers.

The GART causes problems correct?

also:

I just installed Call of Duty, the installation was clean however when I go to apply the patch for it ... I get "IO error"

I have completely uninstalled it and ran system mechanic to clear the registry as well as run windows search for any remaining folders and files... after all was clean I reboot...

I'm now on the third time of installing it and the same problem is occuring. I have ran memtest with no errors all clean.... my god this is fustrating lol.

~Mark

and time consuming too :/

also I should point out, I do not have the GART installed that came with the 5.10 chipset drivers.

The GART causes problems correct? :/

There's your problem......without the GART drivers, the AGP slot is forced to depend on PCI bus addressing.

There's your problem......without the GART drivers, the AGP slot is forced to depend on PCI bus addressing.

I installed the GART drivers from 5.10 chipset drivers and checked everest no problems are reporting anywhere now. Thank you. For everyone that replied with helpful information I do very much appriciate it and as I grow and learn maybe down the road I too may be able to contribute to this community.

~Mark

Guest Spartacus

Good to hear you got it going Mark.

And you are very welcome for the help.

Nice of you to note your appreciation as well. :)