Sign in to follow this  
bmueller

Error with XP Pro SP2 Slipstreamed install!

I did all the slipstreaming according to http://www.angrygames.com/slipstream_sp2.htm and booted from the CD perfectly fine. I installed the raid software, formatted the array, and everything copied properly. However, after restart and it boots from the hardrive into Windows setup, I get an "Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:I386asms10100MsftWindowsGdiPlusgdiplus.ca_" on line 0.

Error: Installation failed: DI386asms. Error Message: Manifest Parse Error: Manifest Parse Error: An Invalid character was found in text content.

Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Manifest Parse Error: An Invalid character was found in text content."

What does this mean, what went wrong? Any way to get by or fix it?

There was an error in the creation of the slipstream. If you perform it again and create a new ISO it might correct the error.

I did all the slipstreaming according to http://www.angrygames.com/slipstream_sp2.htm and booted from the CD perfectly fine. I installed the raid software, formatted the array, and everything copied properly. However, after restart and it boots from the hardrive into Windows setup, I get an "Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:I386asms10100MsftWindowsGdiPlusgdiplus.ca_" on line 0.

Error: Installation failed: DI386asms. Error Message: Manifest Parse Error: Manifest Parse Error: An Invalid character was found in text content.

Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Manifest Parse Error: An Invalid character was found in text content."

What does this mean, what went wrong? Any way to get by or fix it?

That's a matter of personal taste. Many forum members like the idea of having all of the updates and drivers included on one disc. It sure makes a clean OS install a breeze. I average three installs a week so I can't imagine not having a slipstream.

Well, should I just boot the normal disc and not worry about slipstreaming...?

What are the disadvantages?

I will try slipstreaming a different XP Pro disc I have in case the previous had errors in it already. But if I can't get the slipstream to work,...regular install and downloading SP2 afterwards will work just as well (although take longer)?

Absolutely the original disc will work. You just have to have the drivers so you can connect to the internet and other items on their own disc to complete the job.

I will try slipstreaming a different XP Pro disc I have in case the previous had errors in it already. But if I can't get the slipstream to work,...regular install and downloading SP2 afterwards will work just as well (although take longer)?

Okay I just used the basic install and now finished upgrading to SP2. I still have some problems:

1. Only one of my LANs shows up in Network Connections (NVIDIA nForce Network Controller), and neither of them are functional. It says "Network cable unplugged" when it actually is.

2. My RAID'ed hardrives show up in the taskbar as plug and play devices. How can I remove that?

Any answers would be great! Thanks

http://unattended.msfn.org/

The mother of all slipsteaming and automated installs.

Using the guide and forums on this site I know have a fully automated (except for partitioning) installation of XP with SP2, all my main core apps (winamp, bsplayer, codecs, firefox, adware, spybot, nero etc), all recent windows updates and a fully tweaked and tuned GUI and services.

Its worth the time.

You can't get rid of the Safely Remove Hardware icon since it is a function of the nVidia SATA controller.

You can choose to always hide the icon but it will always be there.

2. My RAID'ed hardrives show up in the taskbar as plug and play devices. How can I remove that?

Hmmm okay. Just out of curiosity, what happens if I accidentally remove one of the hardrive devices? Will that do anything?

Give it a try and let us know what happens. lol

I haven't had the courage to try yet.

I know you can remove one of the drives and kill an array if they aren't the OS volume. The array comes back as soon as you reboot.

Hmmm okay. Just out of curiosity, what happens if I accidentally remove one of the hardrive devices? Will that do anything?

need to check out that link... thanks for posting! I might just have to put in the effort now and save myself some trouble later :P

btw GL op in fixing your problem if you haven't already. (But it seems you mostly have)