Sign in to follow this  
sammy5gs

NF4 SLI-DR & Corsair DRAMA

I recently purchased the above stated mobo with the 2gb kit from Corsair (TWINX2048-3200C2PT). Unfortunately, when I install these modules in the "preferred dual channel slots" on this motherboard (orange slots, 2&4), the rig often times does not even POST (8 out of 9 times, lets say). The one time it will post is when I take the modules out and reseat them, and then it just freezes up during POST.

Now, what happens when it does not post is that I do not get a video signal at all. When I power up, the fans spin, but no signal. When I remove one stick, the computer posts fine. When I replace the one stick with the one I just recently removed, the computer posts fine. When I ran memtest on these sticks in another rig (A8N SLI Deluxe), I get no errors for 6+ hours.

When I place in a pair of Crucial Ballistix modules (DDR 500, 512MB*2) I have laying around back in the DFI mobo in the afore mentioned orange slots, I get to POST with no worries???????

Thus, I am at a loss of what is going on here. I am pretty sure it is not the mobo, as I tested other modules and it all works fine. Can you provide any guidance whatsoever?

P.S. - I am doing all this via minimal boot (no HDD or opticals yet) with the following components:

AMD Athlon FX-55 (stock)

DFI LanParty N4 SLI-DR (Bios dated 3/10/2005)

Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT (1stick at a time, 2 sticks no worky most of the time)

BFG GeForce 7800GTX PCIe (256MB)

PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI SLI PSU

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

check through the Overclocking Database - 939 section....near the end of the entries (page 2 for me) I have 2 different OCZ's that are fantastic...the 3200's are not overclockers, but work on NF3 and NF4 up to about 220, and the PC4000 ocz's are kicking it in my NF4 SLI right now @ 250x11 easy cheesy

in the Overclocking database they are listed with part #'s also so it makes it easier to search for them (the 'search this forum' and 'search this thread' functions are extremely helpful!)

Actually, I just tried them in the yellow slots, and no joy. I am getting the sense more and more that there is a bad stick in my kit.

Out of curiousity have you tried flasing to a newer bios (623-3)?

Maybe I was lucky or something but the setup in my sig worked without a hitch when I changed from TWINX1024C2PT to TWINX2048C2... I can't get past Verifying DMI Pool (?) with the ram over 200 MHz but otherwise it's rock solid without errors in Memtest and 8hrs of Prime w/out errors. (Still playing and learning here.)

Jim

As you can see from my sig I run the TWINX 2GB Corsair 3200 XMS pro mem.

What I found that worked great for these puppies was to go to 9/10 divider on mem leaving multipier alone, setting VDIMM to 2.6.

Once I did this I gained another 200 mghz on O/C while being able to reduce my CAS latency all of the way down to 1.5.

Before I tried this path I had VDIMM @ 2.8V, 1 to 1 mem/CPU, and could only achieve CAS latency 3 running at 218 FSB.

Now I run FSB at 235 while maintaining 201 mhz on mem.

My corsair 2gb works great... IF I use 7/04 bios.

I also used the Ram Guy webpage on corsairs site to find out what modules my ram had, they are infineon chips. Perhaps your sticks have different chips and thats why Im having great results and others are not.

That said, if I ran ANY overclocks whatsoever with any bios besides 7/04 the system was unstable as . unless I ran 3.0v - even at stock 200mhz. But with 7/04, im running 7/10 divider to get 202.3mhz on the ram, and the cpu is at 2.6ghz (from 1.8). Works great, and I haven't even bothered to push it harder yet, I bet I have a lot more headroom

Hello,

Also note that BIOS 704 has a bug that has the potential to fry your CPU.

(It is not recommended by DFI).

What revision # is your Corsair memory? There are good revisions and bad revisions. Corsair used multiple module types from Winbond, Micron, Promos, and Samsung. If the modules are Samsung/Winbond based, there shouldn't be any problems. If the modules are Micron/Promos based, expect problems.

Also, is your FX a San Diego or a Clawhammer?

Hello,

I use Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 with my DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR without any problems. They didn't work from the start though, with everything set to Auto. But after some reading and tweaking I got them to work really good.

Here's my BIOS settings, perhaps they could be of help:

DRAM Frequenzy Set: 200 Mhz 1:1

CPC: 1T

tCL: 2

tRCD: 3

tRAS: 6

tRP: 3

tRC: 9

tRFC: 19 (tried lower but it only decreased performance)

tRRD: 2

tWR: 3

tWTR: 1

tRTW: 1

tREF: 3120 (200 Mhz)

tWCL: 1

DRAM Bank Interleave: ENable

DQS Skew Control: Increase Skew

DQS Skew Value: 255

DRAM Drive Strength: 3

Max Async Latency: 7 ns

Read Preamble Time: 5 ns