NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't add a picture for the fan, unless you want to show what holes the clips go into on the xp-90, but I would at least add some text, maybe about what holes the clips go into on the xp-90 and to briefly touch on the common question of should the fan be blowing on the cpu or drawing away from it. I would say that question gets asked more than "how do I clip the HSF down".

again, the instructions for the XP-90 (the ones I buy from SVC) are very easy to read, as are the instructions on the website for the product @ thermalright.com.

Everyone will have something different for a heatsink and it is not my intention to cover every single heatsink on earth...and if you can't read the heatsink mfg's instructions...you really shouldn't be trying to build one the most complex motherboard setups =/

heya angry, i noticed you didnt spread the as5 around, as you put a small amount, it wouldnt mush it that much. any specific reason?

after it has been mushed down under pressure for a week or a month etc with heating up and cooling down...when you remove it, you will see that little dollop of AS5 has spread out to about a nickel-sized seal of AS5 ;)

holy crud. well, shes not running now, so ill make sure to clean it. i put double(bit less than double) what you put and spread it around the whole thing. well, i didnt use as5, i used the ocz stuff. however, my 3700+ @ stock was idling at 34 in a 28 degree room temp, figured it was ok :(

thanks angry :)

Regards, WoL-Shiver

holy crud. well, shes not running now, so ill make sure to clean it. i put double(bit less than double) what you put and spread it around the whole thing. well, i didnt use as5, i used the ocz stuff. however, my 3700+ @ stock was idling at 34 in a 28 degree room temp, figured it was ok :(

thanks angry :)

Regards, WoL-Shiver

if hte OCZ stuff you used was just Arctic Silver5 packaged under the OCZ name, then you still only want a little dab in the middle

if you are using the old OCZ Ultra II stuff (I still have a tube of this stuff and i absolutely love it) then yes, it is ok to put a very thin coating on the entire heatspreader of the cpu...not too thick, not too thin...

Guest edge130

As recommended on Artic Silver website, I've used GOOF OFF to clean off old TIM.

I bought it at Home Depot, they had it on display near the cash register. It didn't cost much. And you can use it for alot of other stuff too.

I find it cleans off very well. I then follow up with alcohol.

About the thermal past, i have allways install my CPU with a entire covering of CPU,with Arctic silver 5, i use a watercooling CPU block by 1-A cooling on CPU (1AHV4) (inverted or not), Is this an error??

But my temp is nice, pehraps can be more low, at 2.64Ghz with 1.7V with A64 3500+ (0.13 NC): 27°C in idle.

sometimes ill put a really thin thin coat on the heatspreader, then just drop a small dab right in the center to make sure it has just enough to have a micro-hump to ensure proper contact at the major heat source (the center of the heatspreader)