• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, two questions for folks...

1) Any reason to put the top metal part of the fan back on? I mean:

------ ------

||||| fan |||||

===============

I mean that top ---- part...seems useless and maybe even countproductive?

2) The base of the heat sink is REALLY damn coarse. I'm thinking of lapping it a bit first to make it a bit more smooth... I've very carefully removed the little foam pad to be able to maybe lap it a bit. No reason I need to actually "re-affix" the little foam pad, is there? I mean, I'll probably just "place it" in between when I put the fan back on.

I just finished this myself. I DEFINITELY had to lap the base, as not only was it very, very coarse, it was also a bit concave. I was pretty disappointed in DFI in this area.

It was a major pain in the butt to lap too, because:

1) Getting all the foam glue goo off was annoying.

2) It was very hard to not get the little sharp spokes caught on the paper...I tried to bevel along the edge of them, but that wasn't easy either.

In any case, I put the foam back down, and remounted the fan without the top piece...everything seems so far so good...already noticing a couple degree drop. I'll report more once the AS5 has cured and such.

A couple things about applying the TIM:

1) It's a bit tough to get smooth, because there's an engraved "nVidia" logo on the top of the chip.

2) Also, it's a bit hard to apply as the laquer along the edges of the chip goes a tad higher than the chip itself, so it can be a bit tricky to spread well...

Guest edge130

I found that using a product called GOOF OFF (as recommended on Artic Silver site)

does a great job of removing old TIM. No TIM residue left when using this product.

I just follow up with Acetone, Alcohol.

I found it on display racks by the check out at Home Depot . You can use it for alot of other things also.

I would concur the reccomandation of masking the area off with tape.

I found that using a product called GOOF OFF (as recommended on Artic Silver site)

does a great job of removing old TIM.

??...isn't that the point of ArctiClean, which is made by AS themselves??

Guest edge130

GOOF OFF was one of the recommended cleaners on their site back in the Artic Silver 3 days, and still is. Also before they had the Artic Clean products.

I think it works well.

I got a total temperature drop of 5-6 C ...very nice. Disappointing though to then think of how crappy the original fan install was...??

Thats never disappointing to me..lol.. Its more expected..hehe..

Every mobo I ever bought I always reseat that chipset fan with some as5.. Doesnt matter what manufacturer it was, they always did a poor job of this..

Thats never disappointing to me..lol.. Its more expected..hehe..

Every mobo I ever bought I always reseat that chipset fan with some as5.. Doesnt matter what manufacturer it was, they always did a poor job of this..

Just because "everyone does it" doesn't make it right... ;)

Seriously though, I was shocked at the roughness of the underside of the fan....it is not a pretty sight.