Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah! I wish I had seen this thread sooner :(

I stripped off all the sticky pads under the chipset fan and applied AS5. I had a little accident removing the inner pad so it all had to go. Man it sucked removing them and my finger nails really suffered :(

Seems to be running fine and cool without the outter pad. So I hope I will be okay.

Gah! I wish I had seen this thread sooner :(

I stripped off all the sticky pads under the chipset fan and applied AS5. I had a little accident removing the inner pad so it all had to go. Man it sucked removing them and my finger nails really suffered :(

Seems to be running fine and cool without the outter pad. So I hope I will be okay.

Just be carefull not to bump the chipset fan when its on.. That outter pad prevents it from tipping from side to side and chipping the chipset..

You should be fine..

I have finished replacing nF4 chipset HSF with Vantec Iceberq4 , just adding one hole to vantec iceberq4 and adding foam/shim to it(I took it from DFI stock HSF)

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n...ipsetmod7ag.jpg

temps --> after booting : 35-36c

idle 39c

full load spi32M 41c

http://img423.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f...ipset17v5wt.jpg

hey angry good guide, BUT nobody mentions about the white latex GLOVES and their functionality, hehe!! I believe you da only man using that stuff :nod:

I also use latex gloves, so the paste(AS5) don't contaminate with my hand(I mean oil in my hand)

Great guide Angry. Im 90% DFI just do to this website!

Quick question for any and all...

I heard using coffee filters work best for cleaning as the are supposed to leave no lent. Recently after re applying as5 to my NV-68 block for gpu i actually rubbed in the pre coat of as5 with the filter as opposed to gloves or baggy. My board was rma'd so I have not tried to run it like this, but should I really worry about contaminents effecting the bond?

Second question

As a Newb I applied the first round of artic on the gpu/nv-68 too thick which resulted in poor temp cooling. While removing from the top of the gpu I accidentally got some on the side of the board near the gpu where little silver bumps pop up from the board. I tried to get as much as5 off there but I dont think I got all. Should I remove using alcohol or really should worry about it?

Apreciate any thoughts before I power it back up.

Guest sweeper

I was thinking of changing the HSF on chipset to a water block. Is the foam pad needed on the water block and is it really worth the expense for water cooling vs air cooling on the chipset?