Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Since Evercool isn't avaliable around here yet I will settle with the stock fan for some time to come. But I really appreciate that the change to AS5 made the fan being close to a millimeter lower: great since I had some problems with the video-card (I can't understand why DFI put about 1 millimeter of some kind of thermal material on the heat-sink though).

I just removed the chipset fan on a brand new Ultra-D and it wasn't that think orange goo, it was a very thin layer of a grey TIM, although it was hard as a rock. It cracked (the hardened TIM) and came right off, left no residue behind (but i did follow up with some acitone and isopropyl alcohol on a few q-tips). With the AS5 my chipset temps are down 3 degrees C, but that fan is almost allways spinning at least at 6kprm. I'm pretty sure its so hot because there's a 7800GTX right above it. What aftermarket coolers would fit on the chipset and still fit underneath the 7800GTX?

What aftermarket coolers would fit on the chipset and still fit underneath the 7800GTX?

unless you have a damaged or alien video card, you guys need to remember that ALL video cards will clear the chipset fan as long as the chipset fan is not set too high on the chipset chip.

there are no differences in specs of video cards

period

no one makes a vid card that has pcb protruding below the pci-e insert point

that being said, Evercool VC-RE is what everyone is using. www.jab-tech.com is where we order from

Just like to say thanks for the guide on replacing the TP for AS5.

Wipped out my board, popped the little barbs back in the holes, wiggled off the fan and cleaned the paste off. The paste on mine was grey and solid.

Put a rice granual of AS5 and gently rotated the fan on the chipset.Then pushed the pins back in. Job done.

Whilst I was at it and putting the board back, made sure a GOOD clear path from the front 120 fan aimed at the chipset.

Temp on load was showing 47 oC before now dropped to 33 - 37oC

Also fitted my Koolance 300g waterblock on the FX60.

Temp was showing 40 - 50 idle - load before.

Now dropped down to a happy 28.3 Oc, probe on waterblock to LCD on watercooler shows 2 deg different from the Nvidia Mon so im happy with that.

My board is different to some as i dont have the molex above the NF4, but an 8 pin next to the main psu socket.

Also I have 5mm gap between GPU and NF4 fan. Plent of room :-)

Cheers peeps

Gwoolie