Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the guide and my temps went up......Im going to try it again and see what i did wrong.

Slap more on mate, its probly not conducting the heat across or its not even touching/sticking.

I say more of the heatsink compound the better :D I slap it on till it ooses out of the sides lol. that is why I got my 1.6 to a 2.2 but droped it to a 2.0 as it was woboling a bit. (AMD Duron +2600)

Just to add a little tip..:

Should you acedentally get a little bit of compound squishing out onto the chipset, i would recommend using a small flat head screwdriver. You must get some toilet paper (enough to cover the head of the screwdriver, maybe fold it over twice) and put it over the end of the screwdriver and to secure it, wrap some tape around it.

You now have a small stable tool to CAREFULLY wipe the excess compound away with :)

That is all :)

i actually recommend either a wooden toothpick, or a small plastic tool of sorts (all kinds of those)

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER USE A PIECE OF METAL LIKE A SCREWDRIVER OR KNIFE ON YOUR ELECTRONICS...NOT EVEN IF IT IS COVERED WITH CLOTH/PAPER ETC!!!!

I have a question, I thought you were only supposed to put a rice-sized dab in the center of the chip and let the pressure of the HS spread it? Or is it different for chipsets?

on bare chips (like chipsets, gpu's, bare cpu's etc) I spread the Ceramique evenly

on chips with lids, its a dot sized bit at teh center and let the sink spread it out with pressure

i actually recommend either a wooden toothpick, or a small plastic tool of sorts (all kinds of those)

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER USE A PIECE OF METAL LIKE A SCREWDRIVER OR KNIFE ON YOUR ELECTRONICS...NOT EVEN IF IT IS COVERED WITH CLOTH/PAPER ETC!!!!

:eek2: No NO NO NO, dont use a screw driver. your finger will do just fine, remember to be in a anti static area though at all times when dealing with IC's. If its not for resale then just dont bother. I used to be a PCB Assembler and Its fine. Ok, it might look messy but who cares.

• 2 weeks later...