Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

I was tired of my noisy chipset fan after 2 days of listening to it howl away at 6k RPM. And 50C+ isn't comforting either. A little digging turned up this little gem. It fits under my 7800GTX nicely, I just had to orientate it correctly, use the non-adjustable crossbar(it's thinner) and replace the stock thumb-screws with nuts/bolts/washers. Works perfect and my chipset temp never goes above 26C.

31F05-11-28(2-17).jpg

32F05-11-28(2-18).jpg

More pics of my rig are here.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, instead of paper towels, use coffee filters. A very easy source of perfectly not-desintegrating paper that never leaves a trace anywhere.

For the plastic to scrape things off, I use pieces that I cut out of the awful theft-protection retail packaging. Much thinner and flexible than a credit card, and you don't look like you are doing koks when you wife looks.

Thanks! Every guide should be like this, with images and video :)

BTW only a suggestion to DFI:

If you (Angry_Games) have done a guide on how to replace the TIM in the chipset, why don't tell you engineers to apply AS5 in the manufacturing process? How much more expensive can it be? It would be a great extra to an already almost perfect motherboard!

• 2 weeks later...
i dont know if this has been posted in this thread or not..but does replacing the stock fan with say a vc-re void your warranty??...thanks

as long as you dont chip the chipset chip (hehe) or ruin it or break the board or do something bad to it etc

ie: as long as it works perfectly and you can put the original chipset fan on if you need an RMA, then replace away

If you (Angry_Games) have done a guide on how to replace the TIM in the chipset, why don't tell you engineers to apply AS5 in the manufacturing process? How much more expensive can it be? It would be a great extra to an already almost perfect motherboard!

our boards are designed to be overclockers and we know that most people are going to have their own opinion as to what is the best for cooling, thermal paste, etc.

So we give you a decent chipset and let you decide what you want to do from there.

as long as you dont chip the chipset chip (hehe) or ruin it or break the board or do something bad to it etc

ie: as long as it works perfectly and you can put the original chipset fan on if you need an RMA, then replace away

alright sounds good thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a little tip..:

Should you acedentally get a little bit of compound squishing out onto the chipset, i would recommend using a small flat head screwdriver. You must get some toilet paper (enough to cover the head of the screwdriver, maybe fold it over twice) and put it over the end of the screwdriver and to secure it, wrap some tape around it.

You now have a small stable tool to CAREFULLY wipe the excess compound away with :)

That is all :)

• 3 weeks later...