Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

water cooling is not really needed on the chipset
you can replace the foam pad with a square of cardboard if you're really worried about it ;)

Nice mod! I dropped my temp from 48 to 45...Although I was probably not as careful as I should have been...I have found that these chipsets and boards are very durable...LOL...

I guess after the 100-200 baking period it should go down another 2 degrees or so...Nice!

Is a product with a higher alcohol content an acceptable cleaning substitute? I have a Fiber Optic Cleaning Solution that is compromised of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and 1% Deionized Water. In this case, is more better?

i installed 12cm fan just above (on VGA) chip cooler and turned off chip cooler completely - 37 idle on 40 load... and silence :)

tried to turn on chip fan on low rpm's no matter.

after how long temp starts to rise?

I'm modding and cleaning my chipset as I type this (well, not AS I type this, the board is sitting next to me) and I have come to find a painful truth: 70% Ispropyl alcohol does NOT work well. My chipset and heatsink are still covered in the cheap yellow stuff. I'm not *too* worried about it because I won't be using the board for a few days, but I'm letting you guys know: get the pure stuff. 70% might as well be water.

EDIT: Went and bought some no-name nail polish remover, stuff worked great. :) Finished the mod, can't wait to get the rest of my stuff to see if it worked!

Nail polish remover is made of Acetone, Perfume, and sometimes lanoline (Sheep skin oil) You are better off using straight Acetone. Having said that, be careful with the Acetone, as it very Hygroscopic (drys stuff out) and Flameable! Don't smoke and use this stuff at the same time.
I've noted many people are using the A.S. cleaning solutions. They are made for the removal of A.S. but are cost prohibitive (IMHO). Goof-Off and Acetone will clean anything (careful on plastics) and have many other uses for us McGyver types.
This Website DFI-Street.com is a GREAT resource, thanks to DFI Corp. and their employees. Wonderful public support too.
Thanks to all who contribute.
Renron

Build in progress (waiting for parts)

i scraped of the outer foam padding on my chipset fan after finding out my chipset waterblock would'nt let me fit my card in. so i just put some thermale paste on the not sure what you call them but it's what the foam pad covers and put back on the fan should i really worry about this. my chipset idles at about 44c but my pwmic gets kind of hot while under heavy load, could the missing foam padding be the reason for this and could you recommend a waterblock for the chipset that would let my 7800 fit.

Just wondering if anyone who has done this had the same problem I had, actually to clarify, I havent changed my TIM yet, but I took the chipset fan off to do the ultra to SLI mod, and was going to put some AS5 on there but (sadly) the store was closed and I had none on hand.

Being the impatient person that I am, I put everything back together, basically exactly like Angry's guide says, but now I'm finding that the whole fan and heatsink think is loose. At least much looser than it used to be. Also, my PCIe video card (in the lower slot) is now touching the heatsink.

Anyone know a good way to tighten things up?

[quote name='nuge']Is a product with a higher alcohol content an acceptable cleaning substitute? I have a Fiber Optic Cleaning Solution that is compromised of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and 1% Deionized Water. In this case, is more better?[/quote]
yes the higher the alcohol content, the better it cleans, and the faster (and better) it evaporates

just make sure your cleaning solutions doesn't have any additives (this is why we recommend rubbing alcohol which is just water + alcohol, or 100% acetone, as other 'acetone' cleaners for nail polish removing etc usually have dye, fragrance, etc, and that is unacceptable)

[quote name='CHAoS_NiNJA']I'm modding and cleaning my chipset as I type this (well, not AS I type this, the board is sitting next to me) and I have come to find a painful truth: 70% Ispropyl alcohol does NOT work well. My chipset and heatsink are still covered in the cheap yellow stuff. I'm not *too* worried about it because I won't be using the board for a few days, but I'm letting you guys know: get the pure stuff. 70% might as well be water.

EDIT: Went and bought some no-name nail polish remover, stuff worked great. :) Finished the mod, can't wait to get the rest of my stuff to see if it worked![/quote]
i used a credit card (driver's license, other hard plastic credit card-type card lol) to remove the hard yellow stuff on the original chip sink

you must be very careful removing this stuff as you can easily scratch the bottom surface of the sink...while this is not the end of the world, it is less efficient contact of the chipset to sink if there is a nice gouge or scratch lol

[quote name='mike_004']Just wondering if anyone who has done this had the same problem I had, actually to clarify, I havent changed my TIM yet, but I took the chipset fan off to do the ultra to SLI mod, and was going to put some AS5 on there but (sadly) the store was closed and I had none on hand.

Being the impatient person that I am, I put everything back together, basically exactly like Angry's guide says, but now I'm finding that the whole fan and heatsink think is loose. At least much looser than it used to be. Also, my PCIe video card (in the lower slot) is now touching the heatsink.

Anyone know a good way to tighten things up?[/quote]
one way, and I have not tried this yet, is to use bolts + nuts (just like you do with watercooling stuff)

this can work very well (and has for a lot of users), but you must always be careful not to over-tighten them as they will end up cracking the top cache of the chipset (just like the AMD AthlonXP cpu without heatspreaders could easily get cracked)