Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

Please check this guide I just made for everyone:

http://www.angrygames.com/chipset_clean-1.htm

NOTE: you will not void your warranty by doing this

you WILL void your warranty if you damage the chipset chip or anything else on the board while doing this!!!!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

Leave feedback if you wish!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Blooz1

Great job!

This question seems to pop up a lot, and it isn't "rocket science" - just common sense!

(Something in short supply with many people!)

you used metal needle-nosed pliers to do the job and advised not to use metal earlier in the guide,

just thought I would point this out

lol

actually, I said never use metal to scrape previous TIM off a metal heatsink. I said just be careful when using needle-nosed pliers to remove the push-pins from the motherboard.

if I am wrong, please point out to me and I will correct my mistake as soon as possible!

Nice guide.

I used ceramique both times I replaced the stock TIM in NF4 boards.

I took a laminated Business card and used scissors and cut a custom sized trowel. THe surface was not absolutely perfect but I got a real smooth and even application.

The key is the business cards flexibility and I think it gives more feedback when smoothing the surface. *( I held it off edge at a 60 degree + angle and dragged it across and cleaned up any extra and got a very smooth application.) After seeing the results in the smooth surface, the extra fuss I took was worth it to me.

I kept a small cloth handy and just wiped off any excess on my mini trowel as I went. I then used the same device and clean up any overlap around the edges.

If you get sloppy here it may require a spot clean. I used NON conductive TIM ~! .

Measure the card against the chipset and available space and you should get two or three per card if you cut it right.

Both Chipset temps have declined 3-5c+ as best I can tell.

I did this and use AS ceramique..never tested temps prior...but my idle temps sits at 44/47..load stays 51c or less

I may push the fan against the the chipset with my thumb like Angry but my temps see not be as low as expected...system has been running for week now

I stumlbed on to a new technique. I put down GREEN low sticky painters tape, around the chipset on the board. The advantage to this, if you get sloppy, and spread AS around, the extra TIM will end up on the painters tape which is easier to remove, by simply removing the tape. THe low viscosity tape will only remove the extra TIM and nothing else. I also discovered another trick using my wife's Hairdryer to soften up the AS Cermaquie. I put a couple of pea grain pellets of AS Cermaquie on my gloved finger and heat it up with my Wife's Hairdryer. You will have to do some dry runs with the heated finger tip. And then practice on a old chipset. To soften up the Cermaquie so It is easier applied to the heatsink. I have so far used this tip on my cpu XP90 Heatsink and the and chipset. The Green Painter's tap with low viscosity is really easy to remove. If you get slooppy. GL. So far I am delighted with the results.

XP90 went from idle 38C to 33 idle

XP90 under load went from 45C to 41 C Load

Chipset went from 45C load to 39C to 41C Load

Maybe it was just Voodo Majic. What ever Works

used a large nail-cutter (carefully) to remove the chipset fan without damaging the "screws" ...but was somehow scared of destroying the chipset....removed the chim with a stanley knife and put it around the chipset before i put my own passive chipset cooler on top.....it is pretty easy to break the chipset while messing with it so be very careful....

Hymn - how did you remove the foam pad? Did you glue it back afterwards?

Also I assume THAT would void the warranty? Thanks!

i removed it completely, i didnt even bother to keep it.

when i was cleaning the bottom of the chipset, the little foam thing just came right off, so i didnt bother to attempt to put it back on.

i dont know about warranty and stuff, because i HAD to eather lap it or replace it.

the heatsink bottom was so coarse i basically NEEDED to do that. on my first attempt to put AS5 back on the chipset when i first cleaned, the temperatures were around 50+ and i basically said to myself i have to lap it.