Sign in to follow this  
LoZen

NF4 L/P Ultra-D Thermalright Heatsinks

I guess I could see how having the xp-120 fan run full-speed would disrupt airflow

its going to push all the air down and swirling around the mobo

they'll be a large pressure void above the heatsink

generally the strongest case exhaust fan and PSU exhaust are taking that air as well

@ExRoadie: I have noticed the same thing. If I run my Tornado on the XP-90 at 12V, my CPU actually runs warmer than when it is at 7V. My reasoning is that ~119CFM at 12V completely disrupts airflow through the case, rendering the exhaust fans ineffective. At 7V, the output is more sane, and air flows properly.

I have a xp-90c with a tornado, and if I turn my fan up my temps don't get warmer. If any thing i run cooler, I only turn it down when I'm not doing much and don't want to hear all the noise. With my venice 3200 my idle temps were 25c and a load 38c @2545mhz and my FX-55 idle 35c and load 48c. Thats with my fan wide open Now if I turn it down and prime for a long time my FX-55 my temps are-50-51c. But i guess things are different in different places :confused: lol

I think the speed of your rear exhaust fan is a factor.

Lets say you have a low cfm exhaust fan and a high cfm heatsink fan. The heatsink fan will be blowing a lot more air around than the exhaust fan can remove from the case. So some of that air will stay in the case and recirculate and could cause higher temps or no change in temps at different heatsink fan speeds.

Now if you had a high cfm exhaust fan and a high cfm heatsink fan the exhaust fan would remove a lot more of the warm air from the heatsink fan. So more cool air will be drawn in from outside the case resulting in lower temps.

I think the speed of your rear exhaust fan is a factor.

Lets say you have a low cfm exhaust fan and a high cfm heatsink fan. The heatsink fan will be blowing a lot more air around than the exhaust fan can remove from the case. So some of that air will stay in the case and recirculate and could cause higher temps or no change in temps at different heatsink fan speeds.

Now if you had a high cfm exhaust fan and a high cfm heatsink fan the exhaust fan would remove a lot more of the warm air from the heatsink fan. So more cool air will be drawn in from outside the case resulting in lower temps.

Hey thanks oats, That makes alot of cents,I have a low cfm 120mm for my exhaust,but a high cfm 120mm in my door and another high cfm 120mm in a blow hole. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Now I have a better understanding of how it all works.

I have a 3500+ Newcastle core

2 corsair xms4000 with the led's

and a Thermalright XP90 and large antec fan on it the 120mm or 92 i think 92 with a speed controler on it.

First off if you are going to do the thermalright heatsinks install the ram before the heatsink. there is no way to do it the other way around and install everything out of the case due to the large size of the heatsink and that the cpu is in the center of the board. mine stays at 34c most of the time and super quiet. I wanted to use my swiftech heatsink but the dfi board the screws wouldn't fit and since i had a brand new xp 90 lying around i went with that. now if i can only get it to run stable.

I have the LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D and I use the XP-120 Just Fine, my memory fits under the fins no problem, I have corsair w/heatspreaders. The heatpipes block the 1st PCIE slot, but it is the tiny butt slot, the video card uses the 2nd slot x16 from the processor which there is plenty of room... The only thing I hate is the chipset fan is under my video card.. and it heats up to around 49 degrees C.

:(

I also use a 120mm fan - Brand is Dynxex

It is actually super quiet... I got it for $2 by working at bby

Wow, 2 pages over the weekend. Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice to see an active community here.

Some interesting points about the fan layouts. My case will have 4 80mm's (2 front, 1 back, 1 blowhole) and then I guess the big 120mm for the sink. I'll have to consider options once I actually put it together.

So the bottom line it seems is that the XP-120 will fit, but it blocks a PCIe(x2?) slot, which should not be a problem. I will only be using the x16 slot for the graphics card.

So here is my final question:

I have always been more of a performance over appearance kind of guy, but for this rig I wanted to pimp it up a bit. So I'm going with the Corsair RAM with the activity LEDs. Will the sink block the view of the pretty blinking lights? I am perfectly willing to go with the XP-90 instead, but just for the aesthetic value I would rather have the sweet Hot Rod look of the XP-120.

Any of you who have an XP-120 on an Ultra-D have a pic you could post?

I have a Sli D with xp90 and corsair xms4000 the bulk of the xp90 i have over the memory so the large fan helps cool the memory. Here's two pics one with lights off you see the led's just fine. I have no room though between xp90 and memory maybe 1/16 of an inch clearence in slot 4 that's why i suggest installing memory first. Also looks like i get pretty good timings with the corsair at 2 3 3 7 t1 at 2.6v but we'll see. It defaults at 3 3 3 8 t1 at 2.6v. Hope this helps.

DFI Lan Party UT SLI D

AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ NEWCASTLE

2 512MB CORSAIR XMS4000 3200 400MHZ

2 GEFORCE 6800 UTLRA SLI

THERMALRIGHT XP90 HEATSINK

500 WATT TURE POWER

WINDOWS XP PRO

2 SEAGATE BARRACUDA 160GB SATA

SAMSUNG 16X DVD+-R/RW (ONLY 30$)

ANTEC 1080 SERVER SERIES

cocacolaman:

Thanks for the reply and the pics. I guess the LED's show through the heatsink fins then? I assume thats only from a level view though, seems like it does definitely cover up the lower DIMM slot.

Anyhoo, after much deliberation I think I am just going to ditch the LEDs and save myself about $50 by going with some OCZ Platinum sticks instead. And I am going to go with the XP-90 as well, instead of the 120, saving a couple more bucks.

Thank you all for your help. I'll probably be back here hanging around after I start putting this thing together and OC'ing it. Cheers :)

Sign in to follow this