NF4 L/P Ultra-D Thermalright Heatsinks

LoZen

Does it give you the same kind of results if you take the side panel off?

The reason I ask is because you might be setting up an airflow loop where the fan just feeds the heated air right back into the heatsink. Having the HSF so close to the side panel can create a vacuum that will give the same results.

You might want to take the rear exhaust fan and turn it around into an intake fan. This will introduce room temp air right into the HSF.

@ExRoadie: I have noticed the same thing. If I run my Tornado on the XP-90 at 12V, my CPU actually runs warmer than when it is at 7V. My reasoning is that ~119CFM at 12V completely disrupts airflow through the case, rendering the exhaust fans ineffective. At 7V, the output is more sane, and air flows properly.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to take the rear exhaust fan and turn it around into an intake fan. This will introduce room temp air right into the HSF.
Good idea! I have a big fat 120mm right over my memory; a little active cooling would be a great side effect!

Does it give you the same kind of results if you take the side panel off?

The reason I ask is because you might be setting up an airflow loop where the fan just feeds the heated air right back into the heatsink. Having the HSF so close to the side panel can create a vacuum that will give the same results.

With the side off, 12V and 7V give about the same temp. This really surprised me. But I am by no means disappointed - 12V sounds like a hair dryer!

Need some help on which fan to use.

Sidewinder is out of the low speed, 120mmx25mm Delta Tri-Blade and its going to be quite some time before they get more in. He was recommending a Panaflo 120mmx38mm instead.

I could really use some recommendations here. I'm going to OC, and I'd like it to be quiet. I'll be controlling this thing through a Hardcano 13 I think.

So, Brand, Depth Size, etc would be great information. Rig is in the Sig.

OR if you know another place to get this HS and Delta 120x25 fan combination that would be good too... but I get the impression this is custom stuff you can only get from Sidewinder.

Here is what Sidewinder had to say:

If you have the room, you get greater air pressure (thus better heat

dissipation) with a 38 mm thick fan.

Most of our customers opt for a 120x38 vs a 120x25. If you're looking to

overclock but still want quiet, what I'd recommend are Panaflo 120x38 Ultra

Quiet FBA12G12L and Panaflo 120x38 Medium speed, FBA12G12M.

We also have another Delta which I'm out of but will be restocking, it is a

triple blade unit also - EFB1212LE.

In most cases a deeper fan structure increases flow at the same RPM. This reduces the "fan tip" noise over a shallow fan that has to spin faster to generate the same flow.

Now I did say "in most cases" since there are so many other factors that determine the amount of "noise" a fan generates.

A tight or close grill structure can cause even a very quiet fan to generate a lot of noise. This means placement can make a quiet fan very noisy.

If you have the room, you get greater air pressure (thus better heat dissipation) with a 38 mm thick fan.

According to the ULTRA-D manual PCIE1 slot (nearest the CPU) is the correct slot for a single card and runs at 16x, while PCIE4 runs at 2x.

That is incorrect. PCIE1 is the very small (about an inch long) 2x slot which is designed for things like sound cards and network cards. PCIE2 is the slot for the video card, it runs at 16x speed.

I already have a front intake although air hits the HDs first before going into the case. Some air rebounds out. I know for this I probably have more outtake than intake.

Should I turn my rear fan into an intake as well? so I suck air in from both front and in?

My medium panaflo on XP-120 moves a lot of air ^^ Temps are 38/41/41 on load (2.75 ghz).

Should I turn my rear fan into an intake as well? so I suck air in from both front and in?

No. ideal is to have a little more air comming in than going out because you have to think of and alow extra air for the PSU's cooling fans, but you have to exhaust air also.

if you didnt you would only have stail hot air in your case.

by the temps you gave Id say your fan set up is fine and to not mess with it.

That's quite a blanket statement you've made there.

Every PSU fan I know of is setup to exhaust air from the case to the room. If you have no additional fans, the PSU would always be pulling hot air out of the case.

The fan configuration really depends upon the case. I have an Antec P160 and a SuperLanBoy. Both are configured with the front and rear fans as intake with filters. There are enough gaps in the cases to allow the filtered incoming air to vent nicely. The other benefit is that the inside of the rig stays nice and clean.

The same setup doesn't work on a Lian Li case because they don't have as many gaps or vents.

Plus it never hurts to try new configurations.

No. ideal is to have a little more air comming in than going out because you have to think of and alow extra air for the PSU's cooling fans, but you have to exhaust air also.

if you didnt you would only have stail hot air in your case.

by the temps you gave Id say your fan set up is fine and to not mess with it.

That's quite a blanket statement you've made there.

Every PSU fan I know of is setup to exhaust air from the case to the room. If you have no additional fans, the PSU would always be pulling hot air out of the case.

The fan configuration really depends upon the case. I have an Antec P160 and a SuperLanBoy. Both are configured with the front and rear fans as intake with filters. There are enough gaps in the cases to allow the filtered incoming air to vent nicely. The other benefit is that the inside of the rig stays nice and clean.

The same setup doesn't work on a Lian Li case because they don't have as many gaps or vents.

Plus it never hurts to try new configurations.

Its what ever works for each person I suppose. one should try what configurations they would like to consider and stick with what works best.

I personaly dont like hot stail air being pulled threw my psu, that defeats the purpose of its fans to help cool it.

Ive also seen the method I stated work the best in 3 dif cases. My wifes Antec, my old Raidmax, and my current Ultra Dragon.