Sign in to follow this  
Toolman

NF4 Ultra-D> Installing an XP-90

Hey guys, I am right in the middle of my build and I am wondering if it is okay to plug my Vantec Stealth fan (that is on my XP-90) into the cpu fan header on my board? I have heard/read mixed opinions on this. Some say that they prefer plugging right into the power supply....but then the speed won't be regulated by the temperature right? hmmmm....I am confused.

Not sure what mixed opinions you heard were but definitely plug it into main cpu fan port on mobo...

It isn't a problem to go straight to the board. Some just prefer to have less stress on power regulation, etc going through the board when trying to overclock...

Well when overclocking the board is under a lot of stress. When a fan is plugged in, it is pulling voltage from the MB and on top of that it is constantly increasing and decreasing voltage which can ultimately lead to problems down the road

But I do have a fan plugged into the header CPU header ;)

Vantec Stealth = low wattage fan, so wont be a problem in your mobo header

Vantec Tornado = will blow the motherboard header within minutes of full speed usually (ie not a good idear)

Vantec Tornado = will blow the motherboard header within minutes of full speed usually (ie not a good idear)

AG do you have the specs of the header, IE: max voltage/wattage that it can support ?

thanks

i probably sound stupid, but whats the "motherboard header"

i was planning on getting a vantec tornado 92mm, using it for CPU cooling fan but hooking it up to my Vantec fan controller... is this a problem now!??! :sad:

The "motherboard header" is the fan connector on the mobo for the CPU fan. If the power for the fan is connected to the 4pin molex you will need to connect the speed sensor(yellow lead) to the fan header on the motherboard so the BIOS will detect a fan operating.

i probably sound stupid, but whats the "motherboard header"

i was planning on getting a vantec tornado 92mm, using it for CPU cooling fan but hooking it up to my Vantec fan controller... is this a problem now!??! :sad:

AG do you have the specs of the header, IE: max voltage/wattage that it can support ?

indeed, id like to know this as well.

also, without a cpu fan plugged in, will the board post?